House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

40% Of China’s New House Prices Paid As Kickbacks

40% of China’s New House Prices Paid as Kickbacks

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2007062606888

Although housing prices are soaring annually in China, the Chinese government does not even have official statistics on construction costs.

In protest of the sky-rocketing housing prices, middle-income Chinese even launched a so-called “Don’t Buy Houses Campaign.” However, despite their efforts, housing prices in 70 major cities in China jumped by 6.2 percent last year and, yet, another 6.0 percent in the first

quarter of the year. In particular, some of the well-developed cities such as Beijing have been suffering from an annual housing price hike of over 10 percent over the past several years.

Meanwhile, a real estate developer disclosed the costs of building apartments in some cities in China. “Twenty percent of the price tag is the actual cost spent for building apartments. Forty percent is for the profits to the developers and the remaining 40 percent goes to the pockets of related government bodies,” said the local developer, who has been involved in the construction industry since 1992.

He claims that the 40 percent is spent to bribe concerned government officials. He calls this vicious cycle, “The Food Chain of the Gray Industry.”

Look what happened to the founder of the campaign.

'Don't Buy a House for Three Years'

Chinese regime clamps down on initiator of popular campaign against high price of homes

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-6-3/42181.html

In a short time, Zou became the well-known representative of the grassroots campaign. He even appeared on a TV program in Hong Kong that featured the story of the "Don't a Buy House for Three Years" movement. But the TV program was a turning point, and Zou's fate completely changed only 15 days after beginning the campaign. Suddenly, he found himself surrounded by all kinds of danger, both visible and invisible.

Zou planned to fly to Beijing on May 11 to personally deliver a report: "Premier, Please help house slaves. The housing prices are too high; house slaves' lives are too stressful; and the real estate market is in jeopardy."

At 5: 10 p.m. on May 11, when Zou was about to board the plane to Beijing to submit his open letter, his airline ticket and ID card were confiscated at the Shenzhen airport. He was detained until 3:00 a.m. the next morning—10 hours.

The last words Zou wrote on his blog described his feelings at the time he was prevented from boarding the plane: "The moment I saw the name 'Zou Tao' listed on the blacklist in the security center at the airport, I completely lost all hope. At that moment, I started to doubt what I had done in those years, and even doubted all my education."

"Every second was painful. It was all dark, like a nightmare. I cannot but admit that in the present state of society, most people can only live without dignity. We live like dogs. Maybe after this, there will be another nightmare waiting for me. Maybe I can no longer stay in Shenzhen, the so-called frontline of economic reform. But I have to face all this. I will not complain, nor regret."

According to some sources, Zou again managed to go to Beijing despite the detention incident at the airport. He subsequently disappeared, and his whereabouts remain unknown.

On the night of May 17, Zou wrote an email to the Epoch Times reporter: "I am completely forced-out. My name and photos cannot appear in any newspapers, TV or the Internet. What will happen to me next is unknown, but I probably can no longer stay in Shenzhen. My company in Shenzhen probably cannot operate anymore. My cell phone is 13902957568. Normally, I always turn the phone on. If you cannot reach me by this number, it means that I have disappeared. What I did is a personal act as a citizen. No matter what happens, I will not complain nor regret. Thank you for everyone's concern."

At midnight on May 17, the Epoch Times reporter called Zou's cell phone, but there was no answer. During the following five days, there was no news from Zou by phone or email. At 5:00 p.m. on May 23, his cell phone was unexpectedly connected. However, his demeanor was completely different from the way he had talked on the television interview for the Hong Kong TV station.

When the Epoch Times reporter asked him how he was doing and where he had been for the past five days, Zou replied, "I can't say anything. Please understand." When asked where he was, he replied in similar fashion: "Sorry. I can't say anything. You know it."

"Do your parents know what has happened to you?"

"No. They are only simple farmers. They don't know anything…," Zou replied.

"What about your future life?"

After a moment of silence, Zou sighed, "There must be some place for me under the sky. Anyway, what I have done are the legal acts of a patriotic citizen." Then the connection was cut.

High Home Prices Spark Wide-Spread Support for Zou's Campaign

According to a survey conducted at the beginning of 2006, of 15,000 people surveyed, 91 percent used a mortgage to buy a house, and 32 percent pay over 50 percent of their monthly income for interest. Such people are known as "house slaves."

In recent years, although numerous policies and slogans for regulating the real estate market have emerged from all levels in the Chinese government, all measures have failed to stop the rising prices.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Chinese regime clamps down on initiator of popular campaign against high price of homes

this should be read by all those that bemoan the totalitarian nature of our own government... it could be a lot worse! :ph34r:

Incidentally, where's all the BTL-in-China ramping, with all these returns? ;)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
this should be read by all those that bemoan the totalitarian nature of our own government... it could be a lot worse! :ph34r:

Suppression of information in this country is undertaken in a much more subtle manner.

That reminds me, it's quite a while since we heard from Webmaster :P

Loved this bit, perhaps the Chinese high saving culture is a bit more blunt about it

91 percent used a mortgage to buy a house, and 32 percent pay over 50 percent of their monthly income for interest. Such people are known as "house slaves."

How do we know that Big Brother Brown is not looking at certain posters on HPC.com? Especially now it is getting press mention and even a little TV? :o:o:o

Suppression of information in this country is undertaken in a much more subtle manner.

correct - you don't need tanks in Trafalgar Square when there is a television set in the corner of every living room, and an IKEA by every dual carraigeway

That reminds me, it's quite a while since we heard from Webmaster :P

Loved this bit, perhaps the Chinese high saving culture is a bit more blunt about it

:lol: if ever you needed proof that the Chinese are the future... that is it!

How do we know that Big Brother Brown is not looking at certain posters on HPC.com? Especially now it is getting press mention and even a little TV? :o:o:o

Speaking as someone who sued a Gov dept and sent the court baliffs around to the Treasury solicitors office when they made a **** up. I imagine I'm on the list already.

At least many hpc posters have not got a house for them to take. ;)

As was said in the film Dune by Paul Mew-deep 'Fear is the mind killer'