House Price Crash Forum

David Smith - S Times

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
I repeat NOT gushing!!! Wow!!!

Oh, and my posting on his blog.

http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/000523.html

Brown's legacy goes down with Great Crash 2. His only "success" has been his successful riding of the biggest credit boom in modern history. However, instead of putting in measures to contain the irrational exuberance he has set this country up for a fall greater in extent than our mirror "miracle economy" across the pond. Brown has done nothing more than to mirror every move made by his counterpart(s) at the Fed who are now learning that Milton Freidman was right about the cost of lunch. To have claimed credit for another man's wisdom prior to its being exposed as folly is foolish pride and we all know what pride leads to.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA444
the variations in growth and inflation rates have been much lower than in the past

Why doesn't he question why inflation rates have been much lower? Is he really stupid enough not to see the fact that CPI has been fiddled in order to keep the rates down?

Not only has there been no return to boom and bust, but the big economic numbers have exhibited an almost eerie calm

I have a problem with this mentality. Is he claiming that there has not been a boom so no risk of bust? or Is he claiming that 'it is different this time' so the soft landing will follow the boom something that has never happened.

Amazing journalism!

HOLA445
HOLA446
David Smith has got it wrong so often I'm surprised the Sunday Times still employs him.

Journalists are like politicians - no-one holds them to account. If you sound like you know what you are talking about, if your face fits - you get a job. If you talk a load of rubbish - who cares as long as people keep buying the paper.

One of the reasons I buy the Telegraph on Saturday is the editor of the financial bit seems to know what he is on about - Ian Cowie I think his name is.

I don't read anything owned by Rupert Murdoch or which has dipsticks like Rosie Millard employed. I will not pay to listen to idiots.

HOLA447
David Smith has got it wrong so often I'm surprised the Sunday Times still employs him.

Its a mystery for sure....

I did a league table of chancellors, placing him second to Geoffrey Howe, just ahead of Kenneth Clarke, Nigel Lawson, Norman Lamont and Roy Jenkins.

I put him just ahead of Tony Barber, as GB's inflationary boom has lasted longer..

HOLA448
You'll be saying next it is all an international conspiracy. This really is paranoia of the highest order, though it doesn't particularly surprise me, irrational argument of the Private Fraser "We're all doomed" school, and about as far away from economic rationalism as it is possible to be.

Anyone that doesn't agree with me is a conspiracy theorist!

Pretty weak.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Why doesn't he question why inflation rates have been much lower? Is he really stupid enough not to see the fact that CPI has been fiddled in order to keep the rates down?

I have a problem with this mentality. Is he claiming that there has not been a boom so no risk of bust? or Is he claiming that 'it is different this time' so the soft landing will follow the boom something that has never happened.

Amazing journalism!

Why don't you ask him on his site?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Through his column in the Sunday Times, David Smith has been one of the main cheerleaders for the debt-fuelled, pyramid-selling scam that large parts of the UK economy have become dependant upon in recent years. However, that era, financed by cheap, easily available money, is now ending. A new harsher reality is emerging and Smith's tripe-peddling will be exposed for the unsustainable spin that it is.

Let's see if Smith can come up with reasoned replies to the points raised by FP and IIDTT. Personally, I doubt it.

David Smith's blog

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

David Smith is a complete an utter joke, how he can give lectures to FP etc is remarkable

He predicted a return to 40$ a barrel for oil, IR peak of 5% and that the US property crash was greatly over exaggerated - hes ridiculous.

The only thing he can cling onto is that there has not been an HPC here yet but with rising rates and millions coming off low fixed rates in the next 6 months we all know whats around the corner.

Hopefully when the HPC is fully under way someone at The Sunday Times will take the bull by the horns and sack his ass. ;)

• 1 year later...
HOLA4417
David Smith is a complete an utter joke, how he can give lectures to FP etc is remarkable

He predicted a return to 40$ a barrel for oil, IR peak of 5% and that the US property crash was greatly over exaggerated - hes ridiculous.

The only thing he can cling onto is that there has not been an HPC here yet but with rising rates and millions coming off low fixed rates in the next 6 months we all know whats around the corner.

Hopefully when the HPC is fully under way someone at The Sunday Times will take the bull by the horns and sack his ass. ;)

Completely agree. Has he been sacked yet?

HOLA4418
Journalists are like politicians - no-one holds them to account. If you sound like you know what you are talking about, if your face fits - you get a job. If you talk a load of rubbish - who cares as long as people keep buying the paper.

One of the reasons I buy the Telegraph on Saturday is the editor of the financial bit seems to know what he is on about - Ian Cowie I think his name is.

I don't read anything owned by Rupert Murdoch or which has dipsticks like Rosie Millard employed. I will not pay to listen to idiots.

hi ian

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Just been reading that blog - can't belive what a total and utter git David Smith is. I want to punch him, and then punch him again. :blink:

FP has certainly had his share of patronising opponents these last two years.Wonder if the likes of Ruth Lea and DS would be so keen on dialogue with him now.