House Price Crash Forum
Converted Lurker

One In Ten 18-24 Year Olds Shun University To Save Cash To Become First Time Buyers

So go to UNI, get the 30K debt (1.5K if you're Orbital living on oxygen, jam butties and hand outs from oxfam) come out to 22K job etc....or don't. Either way the majority can't buy...

One in ten young people has sacrificed university in order to save money towards becoming first time buyers. A further third of 18 -24 year olds are calling for a cut in university tuition fees to help them get on the property ladder, according to research released today by Lloyds TSB mortgages...

The Lloyds TSB Next Generation of Homeowners Report reveals that younger generations are now prepared to make a number of major sacrifices to fulfil home-owning aspirations. One in five young '20 somethings' has forfeited their first choice career option in favour of a better paid job they don't enjoy. A further one in six admits to juggling two jobs to help build a deposit towards a first home.

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

Edited by Converted Lurker

That is the most depressing thing I have read in ages- what about enjoying life a bit, doing a bit of travelling, going to festivals all summer and partying, doing a rubbish job for a while just to get by while you have a bit of fun before you "settle down"- what is going on in this country?

Instead, all people have to think about is an obsession about home ownership which basically equates to a gigantic mortgage for years and years as soon as they leave school, no money to have any fun apart from buying that plasma TV on the never never and a miserable, debt ridden life! For what I ask you, for the home ownership dream!

rant over :blink:

They must be catching them at school, GCSE in flipping houses, A Level in laying lamenate flooring. Whats the point in education when you can trade houses like football stickers?

One in five young '20 somethings' has forfeited their first choice career option in favour of a better paid job they don't enjoy.

Boy... so not only have they thrown away the life they wanted just to buy a pile of bricks and mortar, but now they're going to be slaving away at a job they hate for years to pay off their negative equity.

One in ten young people has sacrificed university in order to save money towards becoming first time buyers. A further third of 18 -24 year olds are calling for a cut in university tuition fees to help them get on the property ladder, according to research released today by Lloyds TSB mortgages...

http://firstrung.co.uk/articles.asp?pageid...&cat=44-0-0

2 ****** points.

1) it's a lot easier to say, "I don't want to go to university because I'd rather buy a house" than "I'm too thick to go to university", which, considering how easy it is to get into uni now, is much more likely.

2) How would a cut in fees make it easier to get on the ladder? Surely more available money filtering through would mean houses are sold for higher prices.

That is the most depressing thing I have read in ages- what about enjoying life a bit, doing a bit of travelling, going to festivals all summer and partying, doing a rubbish job for a while just to get by while you have a bit of fun before you "settle down"- what is going on in this country?

Instead, all people have to think about is an obsession about home ownership which basically equates to a gigantic mortgage for years and years as soon as they leave school, no money to have any fun apart from buying that plasma TV on the never never and a miserable, debt ridden life! For what I ask you, for the home ownership dream!

rant over :blink:

Exactly. I had a ball at university, would not change those four years for the world. The craic, the travel, the open-mindedness, meeting new people... aaaahhhhhhh.

Anyone who is intelligent enough to do a real degree should go to university. Anyone who can only get the grades for Media Studies should perhaps think about giving it a miss...

Guest Marvin Bush

That's not what kids want to be. They all want to be rich. They all want bling houses and bling cars and are convinced they are going to get 'em. You'd be shocked at how many males see 50 Cent as their role-model. I remember one girl, Chelsea, who was failing her GCSE's yet was adamant that she was going to become a Barrister. She didn't know what a Barrister was, just knew that it paid well.

That's not what kids want to be. They all want to be rich. They all want bling houses and bling cars and are convinced they are going to get 'em. You'd be shocked at how many males see 50 Cent as their role-model. I remember one girl, Chelsea, who was failing her GCSE's yet was adamant that she was going to become a Barrister. She didn't know what a Barrister was, just knew that it paid well.

Excellent anecdote, although I'd disagree with the all bit. I find the whole thing fukcin depressing at times TBH, perhaps we need a tune in drop out hippy period to happen...oh 'ang on, those tw@ts all ended up as the boomer generation :blink:

Are you sure she didn't mean Barista? :lol:

There was a big discussion on this on Vanessa Feltz's Radio London phone in yesterday morning. One 19 year old - yes 19 - had decided not to go to university and had bought a 1 bed flat on a 100% mortgage. What reason did he give - well the media said he had to buy now because otherwise he would be priced out forever.

Missing out on all the fun and camaraderie of being a student just to get a 100% mortgage on a 1 bed flat - its really sad what rising house prices have done to this country!

There was a big discussion on this on Vanessa Feltz's Radio London phone in yesterday morning. One 19 year old - yes 19 - had decided not to go to university and had bought a 1 bed flat on a 100% mortgage. What reason did he give - well the media said he had to buy now because otherwise he would be priced out forever.

Missing out on all the fun and camaraderie of being a student just to get a 100% mortgage on a 1 bed flat - its really sad what rising house prices have done to this country!

......yeah.....but what will falling house prices do to him......?

Anyone who is intelligent enough to do a real degree should go to university. Anyone who can only get the grades for Media Studies should perhaps think about giving it a miss...

Er.

Au contraire, creme de menthe.

Rowlocks. says I. Anyone who can scrape up the wherewithal to get in to a Masters in CatGrooming should buggy well go for it, and enjoy the ride. Good luck to 'em and it's money well spent. Partaaay! Lifelong friends!!

Anybody thirsting after knowledge will end up defenestrating themselves in frustration at the contemptuously pisspoor tuition and resources, and the frightening ignorance of the incumbents, or strangling their flatmates after being forced to listen to a particularly intense discussion over who's gonna win PigBugger innit off the telly.

As far as I can see, the universities do what with all that luverly lolly the marks aspirational parents lavish on them? U-hu. Play the property markets. Especially in the towns they're squatting in. Education's a bizarre side-issue to the vice-chancellorial mindset.

Frankly, my dear, I'd rather be in Ardrossan.

Are you sure she didn't mean Barista? :lol:

Pah! Cynic. How dare you wee all over a young woman's dreams?

All she's ever wanted to do is hang out on the stairs all day, holding up the handrail.

Just being the very best she can be, like what St Paula de Radcliffe said.

And what is so wrong, Mr Moral Majority, with that?

All I can say is

:lol:

This was a set of behaviors generated in the 1990s - it never happened before and there seems to be no longer cash to indulge it today.

Doubt it - they will all be round at his pad!!!!