House Price Crash Forum
huw

A Blast From The Past

In November 2005 the Scottish Executive suspended council house sales for a period of five years due to a shortage of affordable housing.

ok gordo, you got that? to tackle the shortage of affordable housing, why not stop GIVING THEM AWAY. 'high intellect' my ****

The only problem I have with selling off old council stock is that they don't build new properties to replace the stuff they're getting rid of. Why would the council want to hold onto and maintain a 1950's property when they can sell it and use the proceeds to build a new one. Also the council should have more power to build on land that no other developer would get permission on - stuff the NIMBY's!

The only problem I have with selling off old council stock is that they don't build new properties to replace the stuff they're getting rid of.

But that was the whole point. 'Right to buy' was introduced because Thatcher didn't like people being reliant on the council for their housing, because it meant they kept voting for Labour councils.

Why should people who've had cheap rent for years in a council house then get a right to buy it at a discounted price when the people who've paid to subsidise them have to pay full price for their house? It's just another way of buying votes.

Why should people who've had cheap rent for years in a council house then get a right to buy it at a discounted price when the people who've paid to subsidise them have to pay full price for their house? It's just another way of buying votes.

I agree the discounts are very generous but I don't have a problem with off-loading old properties slightly BMV (as long as they replace them with new ones).

I agree the discounts are very generous but I don't have a problem with off-loading old properties slightly BMV (as long as they replace them with new ones).

That perhaps... but if they can afford to buy for slightly below the market value, they shouldn't have been getting a subsidised rent off the council in the first place!

That perhaps... but if they can afford to buy for slightly below the market value, they shouldn't have been getting a subsidised rent off the council in the first place!

But it would be a good way of off-loading old stock onto them. :rolleyes:

I think like anything else there's an upside and a downside to this. My parents have lived on a council estate for over35 years,they have mainly had wonderful neighbours , they bought at a discounted price. Most of the estate is now owner occupied and somewhat better for it, some of the housing was very abused and left in a terrible state by rough tenants. It seemed such a shame that so many responsible renters had to put up with them. Now the ex-social housing rough squad have moved into private renting and the problem renters are all over the place. Maybe it would have better to kep them all in one place.

Guest AuntJess

If memory serves, 1950's council houses are one-up on modern ones in that they are roomier. THey have the disadvantage of needing updating - wiring etc, but they are a bigger family home, IMO, and compare favourably to some detached "executive" ones I have seen in recent years.

ok gordo, you got that? to tackle the shortage of affordable housing, why not stop GIVING THEM AWAY. 'high intellect' my ****

If there is such a shortage of council houses, why can Spanish citizens walk of a plane and get them ?

If memory serves, 1950's council houses are one-up on modern ones in that they are roomier. THey have the disadvantage of needing updating - wiring etc, but they are a bigger family home, IMO, and compare favourably to some detached "executive" ones I have seen in recent years.

The first house I bought in the UK was a 2-bed 1970s ex-council in Ealing, back in 1994. A tidy, solid, well-designed property. I doubt if it's needed significant maintenance to this day.

Fancy helping me at the weekend? I'm currently rebuilding the shot drainage system at my parents 1950's ex-council house. The materials used may be better than new builds but the workmanship is just as shoddy and this has a big effect on a property as the years wear on. One thing that is very worrying about 1950's council properties is the weakness of the mortar due to too much sand and not enough cement... plenty of pointing-up required throughout the country and the council would be best getting rid of the problem and investing the money building new stock.

The first house I bought in the UK was a 2-bed 1970s ex-council in Ealing, back in 1994. A tidy, solid, well-designed property. I doubt if it's needed significant maintenance to this day.

1970's properties shouldn't require any maintenance - they're only 37 years old at the most. Any work required should be purely cosmetic.