House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

Tax Breaks For All

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle1951400.ece

An international elite is pricing British citizens out of the housing market with the help of government tax breaks for foreigners living in the country, figures reveal.

While it tends to be wealthy foreign citizens who take advantage of the rules, many British-born people can also declare themselves nondom, on the ground that their family origins and “cultural ties” lie overseas

I feel a gentle rage building inside about stories like this, what the hell is going on

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle1951400.ece

An international elite is pricing British citizens out of the housing market with the help of government tax breaks for foreigners living in the country, figures reveal.

While it tends to be wealthy foreign citizens who take advantage of the rules, many British-born people can also declare themselves nondom, on the ground that their family origins and “cultural ties†lie overseas

I feel a gentle rage building inside about stories like this, what the hell is going on

Domicile is a strange and slippery concept. Years ago I read of a case where a seaman who basically spent his life roaming the oceans was held to be UK-domiciled because he kept his sea-chest here. It seems odd that people can maintain an entire house or apartment here and get away with being domiciled elsewhere.

(edit for typo)

Edited by huw

I think the argument goes that if it werent for these breaks theyd go elsewhere. But then someone points out that that's no prob cos they pay no tax. But then the next post will say well they put some money in the kitty, and then we'll rant on about polish plumbers before reverting back to the super wealthy.

Yay I just saved us all lots of time :). No need to thank me.

It would be better for the UK if they went elsewhere. There must be well over 100,000 non-doms in the UK now; the smart rich ones will not even pay much income tax in the UK and will get paid offshore as well.

If some of the non-doms left, their high paid jobs would go to residents who actually pay all their income tax, and also pay income tax on their dividends, together with CGT on overseas assets. The non-doms who stayed (and we're constantly told how great our financial sector is with all its innovation, etc. - they can't just be here because they live virtually tax free surely?) would also start contributing to the system.

If we're really lucky, Mittal might leave taking his £2,000,000 bung to the Labour party with him - We'd have a lot less TV & Press ads for Mew Labour at the next election!

Write to your MP and complain about the non-dom legislation being racist/nationalist, because you are being discriminated against by virtue of having been born in the UK...

I think the argument goes that if it werent for these breaks theyd go elsewhere. But then someone points out that that's no prob cos they pay no tax. But then the next post will say well they put some money in the kitty, and then we'll rant on about polish plumbers before reverting back to the super wealthy.

Yay I just saved us all lots of time :). No need to thank me.

There was a government sponsored site promoting the UK as a tax haven for foreign entreprenuers. Its been taken down (due to unfortuneate publicity) but you can still see the cached version of it:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:R22bQ...;cd=1&gl=uk

As a Global Entrepreneur, you are always looking for the next opportunity. Perhaps you’re an experienced CEO with a track record in successful management, looking to lead the next start-up with exceptional potential.

Perhaps you’re looking for that next successful investment or perhaps you have developed your own IP and are undecided whether to develop and market at home or elsewhere.

Whether you’re a leader, investor or IP developer, you are likely to be looking for a country with:

* access to Finance and Grants

* first class R and D

* experienced consultants and professional advisors

* an opportunity to minimise your tax liability as far as possible

* easy of company set up and low operational costs

* ease of travel to Europe and the rest of the world

* first class education and housing for your family

You decide to call your tax advisor for his opinion and he tells you to move to a tax haven - whilst you like the idea of sitting on a Virgin Islands beach, this is not feasible.

"No" says your tax advisor - "I am talking about the UK".

Now see if the above is available to indigenous entreprenuers?

There was an attempt to challenge the "non dom" rules under Race Relations legislation:

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2007/03...ws-are-illegal/

(edited due to typo's)

Edited by rover2000

There was a government sponsored site promoting the UK as a tax haven for foreign entreprenuers. Its been taken down (due to unfortuneate publicity) but you can still see the cached version of it:

[Now see if the above is available to indigenous entreprenuers?

There was an attempt to challenge the "non dom" rules under Race Relations legislation:

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2007/03...ws-are-illegal/

(edited due to typo's)

Rage building some more ;)

If we're really lucky, Mittal might leave taking his £2,000,000 bung to the Labour party with him - We'd have a lot less TV & Press ads for Mew Labour at the next election!

Always amazes me just how cheaply govts can be bought, all things considered.

If they live here they should pay the same taxes as everyone else. If not there should a "Visitor tax" i would guess £500 a day should cover it

I agree with you to my own fault.

I live and work in the UK, therefore I pay full UK taxes. no messing about it.

Things like this been happening for years. In the early 90's farmers and market gardeners went out of business due to high interest rates, they were bought out mainly by native Italian farmers who got cheap loans form the Italian government.