House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Winnie

Gordon And Merv - A Hypothetical Chat

Guest Winnie

Merv: Can we raise rates now that you are in power - how about 0.5% in July?

Gord: Noooo Merv, the peeple will still think it's me or Balls wot did it.... Here's the plan:

1. You keep walking about in your dinner jacket saying times are getting harder. I'll tell Blanche to do the same

2. We let the bond yields rise - they can't blame us, they'll think it's the banks...that will stop them lending

3. In the autumn I will cool the heels of the BTL brigade - they can be my sacrificial lamb. Tax relief on IO mortgages for BTL - no more. By then the peeeple will have clocked it is the BTL fat cats that are the problem (not yo me or Ballsy), and they will take the rap.

Merv: Cunning plan my lord.....

I think we're on to something!

I've not visited the site for a while yet this morning find at least 3 threads suggesting that Gordon will dump on BTLers, blaming them for the fact that our kids can't afford a house, and blaming them again when they all bale out, causing a crash.

Fact is, there are now probably more votes to be gained from frustrated would-be FTBers and their parents than there are to be lost from recent FTBers and BTLers (who all vote Tory anyway).

Do the math!

For the majority of people, who have been on the ladder for years and who have a relatively low mortgage, it makes no real difference what the nominal value of their house is.