House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

King Canute And £1 Per Litre Petrol

I think £1 per litre could bring out the truckers again. Could be a key number

No chance of that. At the first whiff of anything like that the government will spout on about national security, terrorism and arrest the lot of them and crush them.

The world we live in today has changed beyond all recognition from when the petrol blockades first happened. There are now too many laws specifically in place to stop this kind of thing.

No chance of that. At the first whiff of anything like that the government will spout on about national security, terrorism and arrest the lot of them and crush them.

The world we live in today has changed beyond all recognition from when the petrol blockades first happened. There are now too many laws specifically in place to stop this kind of thing.

Which means all the more pressure under the price kettle with no relief valve.

There have been several spikes since 2000 in which petrol has touched £1/litre briefly (e.g. July-August '05), and Diesel stayed there for a week or two, and there were no truckers' protests in evidence then.

Filled up this morning for 104.9 a gallon (Superunleaded). Won't even get 20mpg!

300bhp is more fun than DIY on a debt-box (house)

VMR.

Yep, I filled up this morning for 24.7p a litre

Just under 14 pounds for a whole tank

But I do live in Dubai,,,,,,,,

I drive a lumina V8 that does about 16mpg the way I drive it...

Thinking about that, we have a little saving grace as dollar is weak to the pound..

But looking at the graph, not for much longer

Edited by 234SALE

And the country would grind to a halt, what isnt delivered by road transport these days ?

And the country would grind to a halt, what isnt delivered by road transport these days ?

Surely the government would just ship in Polish truck drivers instead?

Guest casaloco

Labour Party Spin...

Yep, I filled up this morning for 24.7p a litre

Just under 14 pounds for a whole tank

But I do live in Dubai,,,,,,,,

:huh: So Gordenron is getting approx 75p of each £1 we put in the tank through tax.

Apart from the Iraq war, one legged Albanian diversity officers, and the interest on the national debt, where does he spend it all?

Labour Party Spin...

eh?

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of goods carried nationally don't go by road?

Bugger the NHS, if the truckers went on strike for a month and blockaded the ports we would see some SERIOUS changes to the way things are run. They just need to grow some balls. I'd be prepared to undergo a month or two of hardship and support them all the way. Imagine what would happen when not just the petrol stations but the pubs run dry. Gulp.

Edited by frozen_out

Spot on. The days of spontaneous protests like this are gone forever. We live in a world of summary justice and arbitary law-making / punishment. Withdrawing driving licences (for non motoring offences) is gathering pace as well.

Edited by dinsdale

:huh: So Gordenron is getting approx 75p of each £1 we put in the tank through tax.

Apart from the Iraq war, one legged Albanian diversity officers, and the interest on the national debt, where does he spend it all?

from the 24.7p I paid it seems 7p must be a transport cost of oil per litre to the UK = 31.4p cost before tax

wouldnt good ol' fashioned regular inflation push it above £1 sooner or later anyway?

Energy price reductions are hitting the home market, but the best ones are generally got by people who switch tariff. Sadly most people are too lazy/ignorant about it :(.

eh?

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of goods carried nationally don't go by road?

I think he was suggesting that Labour spin isn't delivered by road. So I think you're in agreement.