House Price Crash Forum
what

What Would You Do If There Was No Hpc

How long would you guys wait for a hpc. What would you do if one didn´t arrive

I wouldn't wait at all for a HPC. You have more chance of spontaneously turning into a sausage and finding that you can speak sanskrit..... backwards.

Hard to answer. For instance, it is often only in retrospect that the start of crash is apparent. (Or not, as in summer 05 - it looked like the start of a crash but hindsight showed that it wasn't.)

If prices were not to begin to fall in real terms YoY within 18months I would probably reconsider my "rent through the crash" strategy. After all, I could afford to buy now but with a bigger debt than I want.

Houses are unaffordable to a growing number of people - I don't think its a question of how long will you wait for the crash, as a lot of people don't have the option of buying at these crazy prices. I think it would be more relevant to ask the question to homeowners - how long will you wait to cash in.

I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes. And in the meantime rent for a lot less than a mortgage.

Having said that the wait isn't far off. ;)

I'm happy to wait for as long as it takes. And in the meantime rent for a lot less than a mortgage.

Having said that the wait isn't far off. ;)

what scott said and if you saw the gaff I was renting you couldn't argue it....

It is quite possible that Brown will continue to bury his head in the sand and cover up his mistakes by borrowing more money, suppressing real interest rates, and suppressing the real inflation rate reporting.

However, there is no such thing as a free lunch, the longer he lets the cancer grow, the sicker the patient is going to get. It is quite possible that he will follow his forefathers to the bitter end and bankrupt the nation in a terminal decline. I think the men in grey suits will not wait that long, should he continue the lie when he is PM he will find his hand is forced.

The Global Markets wait for no man, when they say put up rates, you have a choice, Sink or Swim.

Guest casaloco

Unlike the last 5 years, regardless of what Gordon does to fiddle the figures, interest rates are going up.

The abnks have to borrow money to lend for mortgages. The people who lend banks money want a bigger cut, so interest rates are going up and prices are going to tank.

Without a crash most non-home owners could never ever afford to buy.

But the question is pointless... it's a cycle that happens every 12-18 years... it will happen, it's just a case of when and how many people die as a result.

The answer to this depends on whether we continue to have a stable, well-managed rental situation ...

If we are able to stay where we are, I would quite like to wait until we have a 25% deposit.

If not, we will have to buy regardless, as there is no way we can fit into any of the other rentals in this area (who on earth thinks a room that is less than 10 x 10 ft is a double? it's barely a single!).

The other situation in which we might change our mind sooner is if OH has a permanent rather than contract job, and one of the houses we have our eye on comes up at an ok price. There's a shortage - honest - of houses with four beds, a view, and a garden round here.

But we are in a relatively good situation: we have 10% at the moment, thanks to our sale in NZ, and even on one 'official' income, can raise enough for a reasonable house (we really have two incomes, but one of us is working on a short-term contract).

fran

Set up a terrorist organisation? :ph34r:

I wouldn't do it personally, but peaceful protesters get fook all, where as violent protestors getting everything they want and loads of sympathy from the left wingers.

Guest casaloco
Set up a terrorist organisation? :ph34r:

I wouldn't do it personally, but peaceful protesters get fook all, where as violent protestors getting everything they want and loads of sympathy from the left wingers.

Violent protest will happen either way...

=>We can't afford a house and the baby boomers are living like kings in huge empty house

or

=>House prices just crashed and were all left with massive debt... where did all the money go?

Edited by casaloco

Move to Canada. Time scale more or less depends on how long it takes me to organise the move...

Until I can afford, without borrowing more than 4x salary and borrowing a six-figure deposit off my parents (which they can't lend me anyway as they haven't got it), a place that I would be happy to live in for the rest of my life- including the possibility of having children.

If things go so mental that that becomes not possible, I leave the country.

The question implies that everyone is renting and have not yet bought. In my case I have already bought. Sooner or later a crash will arrive anyway.

Wait until my oldest child is about 8 years old - then I'll need to settle down for the sake his/her social networks.

BTW, I haven't got any children yet, and my partner and I aren't even engaged. Reckon that gives me at least 10 years to ride out the storm...

I love the way that people casually announce that they'll "leave the country". Typical destinations seem to be Canada or NZ. Do they imagine that emigrating to such a country is just a matter of buying a plane ticket and flying there? :rolleyes:

Just about the only place you can go 'easily' is the EU area. In case nobody noticed, they have their own languages so unless you can speak the native language to some degree, forget it. There's also the slight matter of the economy probably tanking globally, meaning that prospects abroad aren't that great and countries with restrictive immigration (ie everywhere apart from the EU) are going to make immigration tougher.

I love the way that people casually announce that they'll "leave the country". Typical destinations seem to be Canada or NZ. Do they imagine that emigrating to such a country is just a matter of buying a plane ticket and flying there? :rolleyes:

Just about the only place you can go 'easily' is the EU area. In case nobody noticed, they have their own languages so unless you can speak the native language to some degree, forget it. There's also the slight matter of the economy probably tanking globally, meaning that prospects abroad aren't that great and countries with restrictive immigration (ie everywhere apart from the EU) are going to make immigration tougher.

It's OK as long as you shout loudly and slow, they'll understand!!!! ;)

The other thing the 'I'd emigrate' answer assumes is that these other places are cheaper. Perhaps NZ is cheaper if you can pay cash but it is not as affordable as people think, especially if you are relying on NZ salaries. Interest rates are higher - in double digits now - and a 90% mortgage is a big mortgage - the higher rates start at either 80 or 85%, depending on your lender. As an academic, I get paid 40% more here. Depending on where you are in the UK, that is significant (we have national payscales in our profession). Where we lived in NZ, I could not buy ANY house on my salary alone. Here, I could. And so far as getting in is concerned ... that's a lot harder than you think (so says the person with the benefit of having done it 20 years ago ...).

Edited by kunekune

Some direct action would be good fun, non violent of course. May be a bit of vandalism would be good, how about spraying graffiti all over your local town hall, if we all did it on the same evening it would surely get some good media attention. Then the week after we could all do some more vandalism of a different kind.

I have the right to work in a few countries in Asia. I could buy a plane ticket and fly there. I score well enough on the Australian / Canadian system to go to either. I've already lived in four countries anyway.

So for me, it is kind of casual. Looks like you were assuming I was just saying it without having thought it through. You were wrong.

But the question is pointless... it's a cycle that happens every 12-18 years... it will happen, it's just a case of when and how many people die as a result.

:lol: