House Price Crash Forum

I'm thinking of applying for a lecturers post at Huddersfield University which, if I'm successful, would mean moving to Huddersfield (from the West Midlands). Does anyone know what is happening in the housing market in Huddersfield? Which areas of Huddersfield should I avoid? What, in your opinion, is the likelihood of house prices dropping in Huddersfield over the next 18 months or so? My plan at the moment is to move up there and rent to see what happens to house prices. Any information, advice and tips would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Alfie

I'm thinking of applying for a lecturers post at Huddersfield University which, if I'm successful, would mean moving to Huddersfield (from the West Midlands). Does anyone know what is happening in the housing market in Huddersfield? Which areas of Huddersfield should I avoid? What, in your opinion, is the likelihood of house prices dropping in Huddersfield over the next 18 months or so? My plan at the moment is to move up there and rent to see what happens to house prices. Any information, advice and tips would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Alfie

Hudderfield Poly that was?

Dunno... I know people who've moved away a long time ago...

google reckons there are 3 ng

huddersfield

free.uk.talk.huddersfield

free.uk.local.huddersfield

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?sourc...&q=huddersfield

I'd ask in there.

Alfie i lived in hfield for 6 years, in that time it has undrgone a marked transformation ie: new shopping center(kingsgate), the uni has come on leaps and bounds and around it there is quite a decent bit of nightlife. I lived in the lintwaite area and that is ok but still a bit pricey (nothing is selling though) but that side of town (the side towards oldham down the a62) seems to be the less desirable part to live. Try to avoid living in the villages as they are still a bit royston vaseyish! but the locals are being priced out now as money has been pouring in from the saddleworth area mainly Marsden (avoid like the plague) seems to be a dumping ground on the local council estates for all the dregs of the town BIG DRUG PROBLEM and fartown.

The town is pretty similar to any other but the good thing about it is that you can get to some cracking countryside within a 10 minute drive from the town.

Hope this helps, apologies to anyone living in those areas i mentioned, just my opinion.

What, in your opinion, is the likelihood of house prices dropping in Huddersfield over the next 18 months or so? My plan at the moment is to move up there and rent to see what happens to house prices

I would say that over the next 24 months you are almost guaranteed to see price drops in Huddersfield, Alfie. I think the plan of renting and seeing how the house price situation develops is a very good one. Best of luck,

zz.

Prices have basically doubled since 2002, but are now softening, however I would say no more than 5% off peak. Properties are selling, but very slowly, with overpriced stuff standing no chance. There are several 3 bed semis very close to me in £140-£160k price range which have been on the market for over 6 months, nothing wrong with them, just the prices which are now unaffordable to locals.

I'm wanting to move to a larger property but am hanging on as I am absolutely certain that prices will be lower in a year's time, and much lower in two.

Would agree with WHD re. dodgy areas, also borderline in my opinion are Dalton (Chav capital), Moldgreen, Lockwood, Crosland Moor, Primrose Hill and a few others. Also agree re. villages in comparison to Royston Vasey, esp. Slaithwaite, Marsden, Golcar, Meltham, where centuries of inter-breeding are clearly evident.

Thanks for the replies, all have been very useful. I'm beginning to get a sense of which areas to avoid, if I'm offered a job and I accept. With the 'areas to avoid' I can begin to work by deduction which areas are worth looking at. However, there are many areas and it would be useful to hear which areas, in your opinion, are ok.

Having looked at the land registry figures, etc. I certainly will not entertain buying in Huddersfield for at least 18 months or possibly two years. Prices, like everywhere else have gone silly, particularly in relation to local incomes. If I move to Huddersfield I will seek to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house and watch house prices come down at my leisure. It would still, however, be useful to hear any suggestions about areas worth looking at in which to rent and possibly buy in a couple years time.

I have never been to Huddersfield but being so close to the Peak District Park certainly appeals.

Close to town, Fixby, Beaumont Park, Almondbury, Lepton and areas to North of town (Salendine Nook, Oakes, Lindley, Edgerton) are generally cited as best areas.

Despite my comments above, Colne Valley areas such as Meltham, Golcar, and Linthwaite are quite OK in parts as long as you don't antognise the natives(!)

Villages to South such as Shepley and Shelley are OK.

Holmfirth could be considered, if the tourists don't bother you.

Further out Wooldale and Hepworth are both nice villages.

As someone who has moved into Huddersfield from outside, the thing that I find is that there are seedy areas even in the best districts - one street can be a suburban row of 4 bed detached with huge gardens, whilst round the corner, there could be a row of boarded-up terraced slums :ph34r: , it's very mixed. So you have to be very careful where you buy and I would definitely recommend renting and getting to know the area first.

Cheers.

I've lived in varios places in Linthwaite and Slaithwaite for the past few years and I have to say I quite like it. There is a bit of the small mindedness of people who have lived there for years but with more people who come in from out side like meself that will probably dissapate a bit.

Ive been in the depressing situation of watching house prices dissappear out of the range that I can afford while I sorted out my credit history (dam credit cards). Im on a resable wage, probably more than most of the locals up here so gowd knows how they are paying for these houses. I could afford somewhere naff but I dont see the point of moving out of a nice house to pay more for a worse one.

Id deffinately come up here and having a wander around places to get the feel for them.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been somewhat surprised recently by the number of properties with sold signs appearing on them. There is now doubt that locally activity has picked up over the last few weeks, however my suspicion is that this has been mainly confined to the lower end of the market. To investigate further, I have searched Rightmove, to find the number of properties which are SSTC across various bands in the market. The results were as follows:

£80,000 - £119,999 - typical FTB or BTL investment property - 335 properties of which 60 (17.9%) SSTC

£120,000 - £149,999 - 3 bed terrace / average 2/3 bed semi in reasonable area - 233 properties of which 29 (12.4%) SSTC

£150,000 - £199,999 - superior 3 bed semi / modest 3 bed detached - 212 properties of which 12 (5.7%) SSTC

£200,000 - £250,000 - superior 3/4 be detached - 129 properties of which 4 (3.1%) SSTC

Hardly scientific, the bands I have used are of course subjective, and I may have accidently double-counted a few properties which were priced at the band edges, but it certainly confirms my suspicion about activity being at the lower end of the market.

What conclusions can be drawn from this?

- late BTL entrants off-loading properties to FTBs at "discount" prices? - maybe

- people who are trying to move up "the ladder" are finding it more difficult to make the traditional steps (ie. terrace - semi - detached) due to the large difference in prices between the steps, hence most activity in the lower band - I think this is very plausible.

Does this mean that any correction in prices will be from the top down this time, ie. forced sellers in the higher bands will create downward pressure on prices further down the argument - again I believe there is a plausible argument in this.

I will carry out this analysis again in a few months to see whether the picture changes.

I would be interested to hear if people think this is typical of other areas in Yorkshire / Humberside / the North at the moment, and also whether they agree with the above (or think it's a load of b*ll*cks).