Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Most Weddings 'on Tick'

Most weddings 'on tick'

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/busi...+on+tick/560617

Print this page

Last Modified: 15 Jun 2007

Source: ITN

More than half of couples getting married this year will pay for their big day on credit, according to a new report.

Price comparison website moneysupermarket.com found 41 per cent of people planning to marry will use credit cards to cover the cost and a further 15 per cent will take out a loan.

The days when parents would foot the bill seem to be disappearing with only one in six questioned saying they relied on mum and/or dad to pay for the wedding.

:o

And that's with the average age of marriage moving up into the high 20s. It's pretty shocking that a pair of 28 year-olds can't afford to pay for a wedding. I'm sorry, I'm shocked.

Edited by Starcrossed

I don't understand what comes over people to turn an event such as a wedding into an expensive fantasy party. Why, for such a serious ceremony do they put on fancy dress? Most of the guests are muttering "Bl00dy 'ell! This must have cost them a packet. Bet the credit cards are maxed out. Couldn't they have used the money better getting a few sticks of furniture together?"

p

I don't understand what comes over people to turn an event such as a wedding into an expensive fantasy party. Why, for such a serious ceremony do they put on fancy dress? Most of the guests are muttering "Bl00dy 'ell! This must have cost them a packet. Bet the credit cards are maxed out. Couldn't they have used the money better getting a few sticks of furniture together?"

p

For once, I agree with you pp74. Its a sad indictment of our times and unfortunately I'm going through this at the moment. Costing and arm and a leg and we're not even paying for it. What was it about cutting your clothes according to your cloth? It's debt fatigue, huge student loans, huge mortgages, why not a huge wedding?

:o

And that's with the average age of marriage moving up into the high 20s. It's pretty shocking that a pair of 28 year-olds can't afford to pay for a wedding. I'm sorry, I'm shocked.

Cant believe people spending so much on weddings and on tick as well. Seems like allot of these people "want it all" and don't mind getting ripped off doing it - is such a rip of getting married in this country.

Take my advice and get married abroad, where its viewed as a celebration - not a opportunity to be fleeced.

Guest portwinestain

still paying for mine on tick.

it wasn't a big white affair, married abroad, big reception in a beautiful hotel, cake from tesco, wedding dress from Monsoon sale, fake flowers for tables from ebay

cheap? oh yes, to a point

....still paying.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
The days when parents would foot the bill seem to be disappearing with only one in six questioned saying they relied on mum and/or dad to pay for the wedding.

Well why should parents pay when within a couple of years they will probably get divorced.

Let them do the same as my Generation, seven and six in a Register Office, small Reception in a Restuarant, and a Holiday Home Honeymoon in Clacton, all for under £200. ;)

Well why should parents pay when within a couple of years they will probably get divorced.

Let them do the same as my Generation, seven and six in a Register Office, small Reception in a Restuarant, and a Holiday Home Honeymoon in Clacton, all for under £200. ;)

But you could buy a terrace of 2 up/2 down for £200! Why were you so extravagant, Charlie? ;)

p

pat is actually quite affable on any subject other than that which shall not be named. He's the living embodiment of why you should heed the advice to never discuss religion or politics in polite company.

Or of course it might be a shared log in and nice-pat is on duty today! :P

Weddings are such an outrageous cost - and with the divorce rate, well, it makes the whole thing look pretty lame.

Why not have a cheap `first` wedding, then as time goes on (e.g. `milestone` anniversaries), pay out for slighter bigger `dos` as a way of celebrating the survival of the marriage?

Sounds weird, but makes sense, as so many people are getting divorced once the `sparkle` goes out of their relationship. My wedding was pretty cheap and we`re still happy after 8 years together (and I`m a miserable sod at the best of times so God knows how my wife puts up with me). :blink::unsure::o<_<:rolleyes:

Am I being too cynical??

Guest Charlie The Tramp
But you could buy a terrace of 2 up/2 down for £200! Why were you so extravagant, Charlie? ;)

p

Not where I lived being tied down with a good job. Even 2 bed flats were around £4k.

Most people I know who had expensive weddings in my day ended up renting LA housing for years and years, some may have finally bought when the RTB scheme came in under Thatcher. It took us only 9 months saving to buy our first home.

Guest Bart of Darkness
For once, I agree with you pp74. Its a sad indictment of our times and unfortunately I'm going through this at the moment. Costing and arm and a leg and we're not even paying for it. What was it about cutting your clothes according to your cloth? It's debt fatigue, huge student loans, huge mortgages, why not a huge wedding?

I would agree. I think it might come down to 2 things

"Keeping up with the Jones's". My sister had a big wedding so I've got to have one. Them across the street got married in a country house, I want a to get married in a castle. The aspirational lifestyle that drives people to want bigger SUVs, more holidays abroad per year and huge flat screen TVs has permeated into the world of wedding day preparations.

The "I want it now" sentiment, where people not only want what they can't afford, but they don't want to have to wait for it.

Still, from a blokey point of view, it leaves less money that can be fleeced from you in the divorce settlement.

Last Modified: 15 Jun 2007

Source: ITN

More than half of couples getting married this year will pay for their big day on credit, according to a new report.

Price comparison website moneysupermarket.com found 41 per cent of people planning to marry will use credit cards to cover the cost and a further 15 per cent will take out a loan.

We are very good at spending the money we have not yet earned. No wonder UK Plc owes 75% of Europe's entire debt!

Spend today pay, if you can, "whenever" :lol:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I wonder if the divorce rate is higher among those who have big weddings as against those who keep it simple.

Most people I know who had simple weddings are still married over 20 years later.

Well if you have a big wedding and eventually get divorced you can always do it all over again. :D

I wonder if the divorce rate is higher among those who have big weddings as against those who keep it simple.

Most people I know who had simple weddings are still married over 20 years later.

I think there might be some truth in that.

Guest portwinestain
She wasn't one of those mail order things, was she? :P

no, the groom was ;)

I don't understand why folk would want to pay that amount. We're talking really ridiculous amounts of money for a wedding.

Right then..............

Mine cost £310 in 1994

That included the rings, the bands being read, registry office hire, kilt hire and the invites (for all four guests).

Then joined friends down the local pub for a few pints of Morlands Best Bitter (which was a bit like having a reception).

Super day.

Still waiting to have the honeymoon but there's no rush.

Well if you have a big wedding and eventually get divorced you can always do it all over again. :D

Interesting observation Charlie. I suppose that in couples who throw very lavish weddings somewhat beyond their true means are doing so to impress others. For couples who have simple ceremonies, they may consider each other more important than what other people think of them. Always a recipe for a long harmonious marriage!

Best,

L

Right then..............

Mine cost £310 in 1994

That included the rings, the bands being read, registry office hire, kilt hire and the invites (for all four guests).

Then joined friends down the local pub for a few pints of Morlands Best Bitter (which was a bit like having a reception).

Super day.

Still waiting to have the honeymoon but there's no rush.

I highlighted the key factor (for me anyway) for your wedding day if you don't mind. If I was in your shoes, thats exactly what I would have done. Having your friends and family on the day is what really counts, IMO.

I highlighted the key factor (for me anyway) for your wedding day if you don't mind. If I was in your shoes, thats exactly what I would have done. Having your friends and family on the day is what really counts, IMO.

Agreed. That was the best part of the whole day.

The actual ceremony was hopeless. The bride got chastised by the registrar for laughing.

She was so nervous she couldn’t help herself, just kept giggling away.

Until she got told off that is.

I’m not keen on fancy weddings (especially not now we have four daughters) but I do understand why others like to throw a big bash.

What I can’t get my head round is why people borrow money to do it.

We had virtually no money………so we spent virtually no money.

pat is actually quite affable on any subject other than that which shall not be named.

DH, you've gone even higher in my estimation! You're a person of taste and intelligence. You're obviously not a Tory. Only kidding ! Onnist! :lol:

p