House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what

Should I Feel Guilty ?

My parents recently sold their house and made a huge profit on the sale. Now my parents decided

to give me some of the profits, some but not a lot. However my Mum has a way of making me feel guilty for

taking the money. I see it as this was money which was given to her by the BOE and Gordon Brown. Should i feel guilty for

taking the money. What arguments could i make to my Mum to keep her quiet, and not feel guilty.

My parents recently sold their house and made a huge profit on the sale. Now my parents decided

to give me some of the profits, some but not a lot. However my Mum has a way of making me feel guilty for

taking the money. I see it as this was money which was given to her by the BOE and Gordon Brown. Should i feel guilty for

taking the money. What arguments could i make to my Mum to keep her quiet, and not feel guilty.

Absolutely not.The inter-generational transfer of wealth from the young to the old since New Labour came to power and the MPC started printing money on houses has been put at well over a trillion pounds.It would be positively mean if they didn't cut you in on their bonanza. :rolleyes:

tell them to keep their ill gotten gains

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Have they downsized ?

If for some reason she wants to guilt-trip you then I doubt rational argument will stop her.

Either keep the money and let her guilt-trip you or turn down the money.

Simple.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
It has, thanks. Aston Martin say they'll debit the deposit within 2-3 working days.

Typical Generation Y, must have the best. :P

Guest Skint Academic
Absolutely not.The inter-generational transfer of wealth from the young to the old since New Labour came to power and the MPC started printing money on houses has been put at well over a trillion pounds.It would be positively mean if they didn't cut you in on their bonanza. :rolleyes:

Hehehe, make them feel guilty for robbing the government and tax payer from inheritance tax that they would otherwise pay (although I doubt anyone would actually feel this way). :)

Mothers get like this when they get older. I think they just want to know in their own way that it's appreciated and that you don't take them for granted. Nothing like old age to make you needy :)

It was given to her by a younger generation prepared to borrow ridiculous amounts of money; the process began with Thatcher's financial deregulation and has been facilitated by subsequent governments but ultimately idiot borrowers must take responsibility (and they will, though much of the cost will doubtless end up being borne by the prudent).

As for keeping her quiet: tell her it's not worth the guilt-trip and refuse the money. Then she will be the one feeling guilty while you can feel virtuous and true-to-your-principles...well worth a few bob I'd say :lol:

Don't bother taking it then, you're better off without. Your mum may have made plans to take it with her

Take the moral high ground and turn the windfall down, then revel in the feeling of self righteousness.

The money's yours one day anyway. ;)

Either that or the local cat home! :lol:

Guest casaloco

Spend some time explaining to her the basicas of our economy, and why the money belonged to you in the first place, and how she's just sold your generation into slavery.

"Here son, have a small percentage off the countries wealth that we stole from future generations to improve our lifestyle..."

Guest casaloco

Also point out to her that her generation SOLD the national assets including...

Gas

Water

Electric

Telepone

Social Housing

Nuclear Industry (But leaving you with a £50Bn clean up bill)

...and then took the money for themselves as a tax cut.

Here generation STOLE the wealth of an entire country and she has the cheek to make you feel guilty because she's giving you a small percentage of it back?

I can recommend some poisons you can put in her coffee if you want.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Remember the 70's Charlie? Buy British!

No, but I remember Harold Wilson`s I`m Backing Britain Campaign of 1968 when after the pound was devalued it was cheaper to buy British. ;)

I've been offered money by my parents if I buy a house. But I have chosen to go my own way and am now doing OK. I don't own a house but rent. I invested some of my savings in training rather than bricks and have landed a good job. I will take them up on their offer if house prices drop our current form of slavery isn't an option for me (sorry banks I'm not playing the game). But hopefully I shouldn't have to use any of their money as I prefer to stand on my own two feet but it's always good to know you have family who support you.

Labour are trying their best to destroy the family, the last institution which curtails their aim of bringing us all down to the same debased and degenerate individual existence relient on their pathetic whims and handouts.

Edited by Ipodjunky

No, but I remember Harold Wilson`s I`m Backing Britain Campaign of 1968 when after the pound was devalued it was cheaper to buy British. ;)

Hrm, that just meant all the good cars became more expensive; the pound in your pocket and the lies echoing in your ears. My dad tried to buy a Triumph Stag back in the day, the salesman told him there was a waiting list and he "may hear from us in about 12 months". It's a salutary lesson for any industry that treats it customers with contempt.

I didn't earn my parents' money so I don't feel entitled to it. Haven't really taken anything off them since I left uni and I'm doing pretty well.

If they offer / leave me some at some point then fine. But if not, I don't mind.

Luckily they aren't the kind of parents who would put conditions on such a gift, or who would expect you to owe them something (e.g. guilt) in return. I know people who've taken money to buy a property, but it often comes with the condition that they have to stay in their home town or whatever. B*ll*cks to that!

frug.

Hrm, that just meant all the good cars became more expensive; the pound in your pocket and the lies echoing in your ears. My dad tried to buy a Triumph Stag back in the day, the salesman told him there was a waiting list and he "may hear from us in about 12 months". It's a salutary lesson for any industry that treats it customers with contempt.

Government intervention in the car industry at the time hardly helped. For instance Rootes Group were forced to build Hillman Imps up in Scotland, rather than the West Midlands where they were based.

There were also weird planning restraints, so Rover had to build transmissions and suspension parts for the P6 model in South Wales rather than Solihull and so on. Then the government refused planning for a new body plant in 1976 so they were shuffling car bodies between Castle Bromwich and Solihull.

So they never really stood much of a chance.

Yes you should

My sort code is 11 23 81, a/c 01357778

That will make you feel better.

be careful with that mate, people can set up direct debits using those details, and get sky/mobile phone subscriptions. The direct debit guarantee will let you reclaim money, but it's a PITA

So they never really stood much of a chance.

But the tractor production figures were glowing? I suppose the same people just have to make do with running the NHS, justice, immigration and education systems these days, no harm done then.