House Price Crash Forum

What Have You Chosen,a Pension, A House, A Child, Or A Degree

Unfortunately under New Labour we have to make one of three choices in life, but we cannot have all.

We must decide on whether we should save for a pension, save for a house, save for an education, or save to have a child.

One thing is for sure, 15years ago we could have them all, today its either one or the other.

Thank you Tony and Gordon.

Guest absolutezero

I'm having three out of your four options.

I have a degree.

I'm paying into the teachers' pension scheme and I'm saving for a house, which I shall buy in a few years' time with only a small mortgage.

I have no intention of having children. Partly because they're too expensive and because working in a school all day has put me off - they're too much hassle/hard work and I don't have a paternal bone in my body.

Unfortunately under New Labour we have to make one of three choices in life, but we cannot have all.

We must decide on whether we should save for a pension, save for a house, save for an education, or save to have a child.

One thing is for sure, 15years ago we could have them all, today its either one or the other.

I have a degree (and professional quals), flat and a pension

Children too expensive - My girlfriend disagrees but whenever it comes up in conversation a concert or visit to the theatre soon has here having second thoughts as childcare is limited and extremely expensive. This means she would have to compromise her lifestyle.

Good post Laurejon.

I never voted labour in and was lucky enough to grow up in the Thatcher years so I made a choice and took 3 of the 4.

I made the right choice by not taking the pension ;)

Excellent post BTW.

House = Yes

Pension = In progress

Education = Yes

Children = In progress

I am very uplifted with many of the views on this thread. Life is what you make of it, so make the best of atitude is definitly one I intend to keep following and it seems others are already trail blazing the way.

Edited by iluminati

I have a degree, a final salary pension, a house deposit and am pregnant with first child- I refuse to compromise on having kids just cos I dont have a house! So I guess I don't have it all and may never own my own home! I would hope though that regardless of the material cr*p, I will have a happy child who feels secure! That is, I think, the most important thing! :P

Pension. Yes

House. Yes

Degree. No

Children. Four

All achieved under new labour.

Do I praise Tony and Gordon for my favourable position? No, just like I didn't blame Thatcher for my failure to achieve in academia.

We all make decisions in life. We don't all blame others for the consequences of those decisions.

Your incessant one eyed rhetoric about how New Labour have ruined everything is somewhat tedious

I have a degree, a final salary pension, a house deposit and am pregnant with first child- I refuse to compromise on having kids just cos I dont have a house! So I guess I don't have it all and may never own my own home! I would hope though that regardless of the material cr*p, I will have a happy child who feels secure! That is, I think, the most important thing! :P

A very honourable person you are too. Best wishes to you and your child.

It always makes me humble when someone just says it as it is.

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ******* big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ******* junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, ******* you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ******-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ******* big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing ******* junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, ******* you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ******-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?

What a great film.........one of the best :rolleyes:

Wasnt the next bit about choosing smack instead?

My house is my pension.

My children are my pension

My degree is my pension.

My pension is Gordon's apparently.

:lol::lol:

House = No

Pension = Yes

Education = Yes

Children = Yes

Based on the above, I think I am pretty lucky. I will be even luckier after the market has crashed.

Edited by Buffer Bear