House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dude wheres my house

One For The Bulls

I understand that in general you are bullish about the property market, but right now with

increasing supply.

Rising interest rates with more in the pipeline

Stagnant and falling rentals prices

General economic turmoil

Global inflation

Would you buy tomorrow?

I understand that in general you are bullish about the property market, but right now with

increasing supply.

General economic turmoil

Global inflation

Would you buy tomorrow?

I suspect they would say only as a long-term investment.

If I could afford a house and needed one, then yes I would. Id be happy to pay more for security, to provide a stable home for my family, etc, etc. If people didnt want to own houses then this forum wouldnt exist, if there was no attraction in buying then why would anyone care so much. Although I do sometimes think its sweet the way people but on a brave "we love renting" face - I rented for 5 years and it sucked. Lets be honest!

Im no fan of HPI either. I dont want to throw money away but no one knows for sure whether prices will go up or down, according to this forum there has been no way prices could go up any further for 5 years or whatver now! Yet they have! Ideally you buy at the bottom and sell at the top and all that, but then tbh money isnt the most important thing in my life - I now have a roof over my head and can provide all the things I need. Remember - we're the good guys, we arent greedy, not like the evil BTL people. We are happy with our simple lot in life, our families, perhaps the odd holiday from time to time, long walks, shared moments.

Yeah, in the long term, housing is as good a bet as any. My pop bought a flat in London at the top, and sold at the next top - an investment of 10k or so returning approx 200k. Arent these things always cyclical? Maybe he could have made more - but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing and remeber - we're not the greedy ones. Or are we?

Guest casaloco

Am tempted to go to one of the developers with dozens of empty flats and offer them £30,000 for a nice 1 bed flat...

Give them a choice... sell at £30,000 or just sit on empty properties nutil you go bust!

Am tempted to go to one of the developers with dozens of empty flats and offer them £30,000 for a nice 1 bed flat...

Give them a choice... sell at £30,000 or just sit on empty properties nutil you go bust!

might want to proof read your homepage

"Sometime, live now, economic conditions require squatting"

If I could afford a house and needed one, then yes I would. Id be happy to pay more for security, to provide a stable home for my family, etc, etc.

Come on change the story! you sound like a broken record. here is the some questions for you.

1. How can you provide "a stable home" when it is wrong time & wrong price to buy?

2. What is the difference between "landlord" and "lender" when you get repossessed or evicted?

3. How can "buying" be stable & secure when renting is cheaper by about 40%?

Waiting for your expertise answers.

Guest casaloco
might want to proof read your homepage

"Sometime, live now, economic conditions require squatting"

It's in early development! Have only just finished arguing with UK2 over them being unable to get the .co.uk address working. Now I've got the domains sorted out, and when work lets me have a 5 minute break!) I can get the pages sorted. May even change the dev environment yet!

If I could afford a house and needed one, then yes I would. Id be happy to pay more for security, to provide a stable home for my family, etc, etc. If people didnt want to own houses then this forum wouldnt exist, if there was no attraction in buying then why would anyone care so much. Although I do sometimes think its sweet the way people but on a brave "we love renting" face - I rented for 5 years and it sucked. Lets be honest!

Im no fan of HPI either. I dont want to throw money away but no one knows for sure whether prices will go up or down, according to this forum there has been no way prices could go up any further for 5 years or whatver now! Yet they have! Ideally you buy at the bottom and sell at the top and all that, but then tbh money isnt the most important thing in my life - I now have a roof over my head and can provide all the things I need. Remember - we're the good guys, we arent greedy, not like the evil BTL people. We are happy with our simple lot in life, our families, perhaps the odd holiday from time to time, long walks, shared moments.

Yeah, in the long term, housing is as good a bet as any. My pop bought a flat in London at the top, and sold at the next top - an investment of 10k or so returning approx 200k. Arent these things always cyclical? Maybe he could have made more - but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing and remeber - we're not the greedy ones. Or are we?

:lol:

Poor old Orbital.

increasing supply.

General economic turmoil

Global inflation

Would you buy tomorrow?

Its getting increasingly rare that I see a property in a price bracket I think I would buy if i could if I had to buy all over again (3 bed terrace 2 reception decent sized garden and driveway in an o.k area)

Prices are still going up however, and there are people out there buying for what ever reason.

I wouldn't take the risk now as we're on increasingly shakey ground, unless gordo pulls one out of the hat

Yes I'd buy a family home now. But only using the same borrowing ratio that I used last year. ie very conservative. I'd also be very careful about location.

If I was a single FTB or an average young couple with no family plans I definitely wouldn't buy.

not anymore... oh and NEVER buy in spring/early summer, your asking to get ripped off...

Are you talking about property or convertble cars?

Up till now property has been cheaper in the summer than it was the following winter ;)

Guest d23
[*]How can "buying" be stable & secure when renting is cheaper by about 40%?

can anyone provide any kind of evidence for this?

something more comprehensive than anecdotal / personal examples would be nice.

increasing supply.

Would you buy tomorrow?

Yes i would buy within my multiples - would not overstretch myself though.

I don't personally understand your comment of a increasing supply, I see less available housing in my area than I did 2 years ago. Example - 3 houses that had for sale signs on my street - now have sold within 1 week, (2 of them sealed bids) so I do question your increasing supply statement

Although I do sometimes think its sweet the way people but on a brave "we love renting" face - I rented for 5 years and it sucked. Lets be honest!

Yeah I find this strange. Everyone I know has hated renting, myself included.

Guest Cletus VanDamme
Yeah I find this strange. Everyone I know has hated renting, myself included.

Indeed. When I suggested STRing to my wife a few weeks back she reminded me in detail of everything we'd hated about renting and of why we'd bought in the first place!

Still, if I was an FTB, moving out of the parents place for the first time, e.g. for a new job, no way would I buy right now.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-146...=1&tr_t=buy

To buy 215000 or (£1075 per month interest only @6%)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-156...1&tr_t=rent

To rent 750

30% less

Glasgow? and this is representative of the UK in general? I think you would have to give me a 70% discount to live there :lol:

edited# (sorry bad joke - did not mean it) ;)

Edited by ragingbull

can anyone provide any kind of evidence for this?

something more comprehensive than anecdotal / personal examples would be nice.

My personal experience is that I pay £1200pm for a house "worth" £380k. IO mortgage on £380k is about £1750. The Landloards mortgage is £1600 p/m as he put down a deposit. :P

I am now think of moving up to £850k home thats being advertsied at £1800pm (thought the EA told me that an offer of £1600pm would probably get accepted). So, IO mortgage £3900, rent £1600. :huh:

Guest d23
My personal experience is that I pay £1200pm for a house "worth" £380k. IO mortgage on £380k is about £1750. The Landloards mortgage is £1600 p/m as he put down a deposit. :P

I am now think of moving up to £850k home thats being advertsied at £1800pm (thought the EA told me that an offer of £1600pm would probably get accepted). So, IO mortgage £3900, rent £1600. :huh:

fair enough but that would count an anecdotal; I'm talking about any kind of statistics / data from a reliable source that would make me believe that the many examples of renting being on average 50% cheaper (or more in your example above) that get posted up here are representative of the UK rental / property market as a whole

I doubt that info will be forthcoming for the UK as a whole; My personal interest is in London where I live and I'd be more than surprised if anyone could come up with anything resembling widespread 50% rental 'discounts'

I hate (and I mean really hate) my rental experience to date (17 years so far) and if I could get the kind of deal so prevalent on here it would sugar the pill for me, but I've yet to encounter anything near it.

fair enough but that would count an anecdotal; I'm talking about any kind of statistics / data from a reliable source that would make me believe that the many examples of renting being on average 50% cheaper (or more in your example above) that get posted up here are representative of the UK rental / property market as a whole

Look at any newbuild development. As i have posted above