House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
undie

How To Avoid 40% Capital Gains Tax On Selling A Second Home

Move to ireland, sell your second home. You will be clasified non domiciled in ireland. As long as you do not remit your gains to ireland you will be alright. Stay a year and move back to the UK. You can do same thing by moving to Malta.

also, if you sell a holiday home that you have owned for more than 3 years and it has been fully available on the rental market for that period, then you can sell it under the business taper (10%CGT) thats what i have been told, but confirm it with your accountant...my head gets sore when i talk to mine and i may have misunderstood it.

on the site they write about how much certain conversions/works can increase your properties vales.....and that loft conversions can be 50m/70m3..this is not true.....your total PD (Permitted Development) is 50m/70m3, of which only 40m3 can be used on a roof/loft conversion, any more will need planning.

Move to ireland, sell your second home. You will be clasified non domiciled in ireland. As long as you do not remit your gains to ireland you will be alright. Stay a year and move back to the UK. You can do same thing by moving to Malta.

I forgot to say that you also need to be 5 years out of the UK not to get taxed capital gain on your return. So pretty dificult to get out of it.

Edited by soldintime