House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Unemployment 3 Times Higher Than Ministry Of Propaganda Claims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;ito=newsnow

Unemployment three times higher than official figures'
Last updated at 13:46pm on 13th June 2007
Unemployment is almost three times as high as the Government's official figures a new study has claimed.
A report by Sheffield Hallam University said 1.7 million "hidden jobless" should be added.
In particular, the report said that at least one million of the 2.7 million people on incapacity benefit should be classified as unemployed.
However, official unemployment has fallen by 15,000 to 1.68 million in the same period. The claimant count has fallen for eight months in a row, the longest continual reduction since the summer of 2003.

Much has been hidden by this government not least of which the level of immigration and unemployment.

Edited by Realistbear

No shit.

Though I don't see how adding 1.7 million to 1.68 million comes to 'almost tripling'... unless very slightly greater than two is now counted as almost three.

The number of jobs in manufacturing firms also fell to a record low of 2.96 million after a fall of 49,000 in the latest three months compared with a year ago.

Today's data from the Office for National Statistics also showed that the number of people in work fell by 10,000 in the quarter to April to just over 29 million.

As Gordon systematically destroys our manufacturing due to HPI and its effect on global competitiveness the service sector should see large rises in the McJob category.

In particular, the report said that at least one million of the 2.7 million people on incapacity benefit should be classified as unemployed.

If I recall correctly, the redefining of 'unemployed' as 'incapacitated' began under the Tories.

It's an insidious process because it tends to be one-way: much easier to 'encourage' the unemployed back to work. 'Incapacity' sounds so final. Having said that, the thinking might be that the long-term unemployed will never work again anyway, so it makes no difference what you call them.

Did you know there are over 10 million disabled people in Britain? [link]

about half of whom seem to be of working age. I guess they don't count in the incapacity figures because they're in receipt of disability living allowance or whatever, instead of incapacity benefit. Anyway, all these people of working age who are unfit for work must be very ill indeed, because you seldom see them out and about.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Anyway, all these people of working age who are unfit for work must be very ill indeed, because you seldom see them out and about.

Oh I do. They seem to have conditions that aren't affected by hanging around shops drinking larger or riding motorbikes on the pavement sans helmet, licence or insurance.

Probably some sort of memory problems.

Guest d23
If I recall correctly, the redefining of 'unemployed' as 'incapacitated' began under the Tories.
Much has been hidden by this government not least of which the level of immigration and unemployment.

I'm no nu labour apologist but the amount of people claiming incapacity benefit hasn't risen that much in percentage terms since labour came to power 10 years ago; there was already well over 2.5 million claiming it back then.

It's an insidious process because it tends to be one-way: much easier to 'encourage' the unemployed back to work. 'Incapacity' sounds so final. Having said that, the thinking might be that the long-term unemployed will never work again anyway, so it makes no difference what you call them.

Did you know there are over 10 million disabled people in Britain? [link]

about half of whom seem to be of working age. I guess they don't count in the incapacity figures because they're in receipt of disability living allowance or whatever, instead of incapacity benefit. Anyway, all these people of working age who are unfit for work must be very ill indeed, because you seldom see them out and about.

They are out and about. Have you noticed how many cars there are parked on yellow lines around town centers with disability badges in the window. Most of the drivers that I see seem very able bodied to me.

Guest wrongmove
I'm no nu labour apologist but the amount of people claiming incapacity benefit hasn't risen that much in percentage terms since labour came to power 10 years ago; there was already well over 2.5 million claiming it back then.

Nor am I, and I agree. Incapacity benefit numbers rose sharply under Thatcher as a way of covering up the devasting effects of her policies on unemployment. It helped to camoflage the effect of shutting down loads of industries. The numbers have been pretty constant since the 80s.

Nor am I, and I agree. Incapacity benefit numbers rose sharply under Thatcher as a way of covering up the devasting effects of her policies on unemployment. It helped to camoflage the effect of shutting down loads of industries. The numbers have been pretty constant since the 80s.

In 20 years time people like you will be blaming Thatcher..

Incapacity benefit is a malingerers charter, why should someone bother to work when everything is handed to them free of charge...

just a few points.

The tories did indeed shunt all the unemployed factory workers, miners etc onto sick ben or invalidity ben where they have remained ever since

think Jim Royle of THE ROYLES

Labour huffed and puffed about this all during the 1997 election campaign and one of their (many broken ) manifesto pledges was to count these people as unemployed.

They claimed the jobless totals were fiddled under the Tories - and they were.

When labour won they silently dropped that manifesto pledge along with others like their pledge to introduce PR and a proper FOI act .

After all no-one wants the level of unemployment to double over-night on their watch,

Edited by jimmyjazz