House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laurejon

Could We Be Doing More To Feed The World, And Provide

As a bloated rich nation, could we be doing more to feed,arm, house,clothe,educate, Africa, or should we continue to waste money on housing our own younger generation who complain they cannot get onto the housing ladder.

As a bloated rich nation, could we be doing more to feed,arm, house,clothe,educate, Africa, or should we continue to waste money on housing our own younger generation who complain they cannot get onto the housing ladder.

not to dismiss the problems in africa- but i would sort our own house ;) in order first

If we have this huge huge pension surplus, surely we should be spending it on housing in Africa first. These people are literally dying as their fathers/husbands are out fighting the civil wars with the militias and so unable to feed their families or send money home.

We're doing pretty well on the arming part: UK arms sales to Africa reach £1 billion mark

British arms sales to Africa have risen to record levels over the last four years and have reached the £1 billion mark

Well, they don't get our aid unless they promise to spend it buying arms from us...

As Sir Bob says, "it's all a load of b0llox really!"

Charity begins at home.

We have enough problems in our country as it is.

Sure, so we help the starving Africans, but how? If we send money or food then their Govt's control it soon enough.

No easy solution else it'd be solved eh?

Frank

Guest Farticus

Are you for real?

Who gives a f**k

Let the babyboomers sort it out if they want to, they are the people who can afford to travel etc. I agree charity begins at home. Who gives a stuff about Global Warming as long as the weather gets warmer thats good enough for me.

Aid to poor countries is a difficult one. It's hard not to help the current unfortunates, but by doing so you really store up problems for future generations. I think I heard somewhere that there are more people dependant on food aid in Ethiopia now than there were at the time of the famine - the population has expanded to match the available food. But what do you do - let them starve to bring the population down? It just seems intractable to me.

Food aid from the UK is a pretty small portion of the budget anyway - we could save a lot more by staying out of illegal wars, denying healthcare to people who choose to damage themselves through their lifestyles, not spending a fortune on army training for Princes for whom it is impossible to carry out their duties....and so on.

Interesting point.

We could be doing more LJ.

Although i don't where this waste of money is on our younger generation (be they the same ones that will be paying for the older generations health care in the future ).

When it comes to africa people need to take bold steps and start talking about population growth. I'll bet (but am too lazy to research) the population of some countries has doubled in africa since the 80s famines.

If we have this huge huge pension surplus, surely we should be spending it on housing in Africa first. These people are literally dying as their fathers/husbands are out fighting the civil wars with the militias and so unable to feed their families or send money home.

Why should we be spending the pension surplus on anything? Surely it's best to leave it to lessen the impact of the forthcoming drop in investment values and subsequent return to pension shortfall.

(Note: I realise you don't mean what you're typing for a second).

You wag. You were just yanking our chain.

I was taking it seriously until I spotted "arm" tucked in there.

more often than not giving aid, donations ect, at a charity or government level, is simply a transfer of wealth from poor people in wealthy nations to rich people in poor nations.

They can have the rest of my chips I'm stuffed.

But seriously

Charity sees the need, not the cause. The Arms and Diamond industry has allot to answer plus inter tribe fighting and bizarre backward beliefs check out muti killing (strong stomach needed). We haven't exactly helped the situation with our darwinian view of africa in the 18tt and 19th century.

Edited by Ipodjunky

Guest Cletus VanDamme

This thread cracks me up!! laurejon makes another one of his mischievous posts and you all fall for it :lol:

Why is it that India, China and South America all have rapidly developing economies and political structures, while Africa is actually sliding backwards? Sending aid to countries such as Zimbabwe and Sudan is sheer madness, because it simply ends up either being spent on arms, or in the dictators' Swiss bank accounts. And the fact that the African Union persists in backing up and propping up Mugabe is proof, if proof were needed, that the only sensible step for developed nations to take is to simply walk away. And the argument that innocent civilians would starve if we didn't provide aid doesn't hold water, because they're starving anyway! As Blair continually delights in pointing out, developed nations have more than quadrupled their development aid payments to Africa over the last decade, and what has that achieved? 1,500 per cent inflation and thousands starving on the streets of Harare.

If the African Union is serious about its anti-British rhetoric, i.e. that it doesn't need Western 'interference' in Africa's affairs, let's give them the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are, not ours.

Last summer I did two consultancy visits within a month, the first to Pune, India, and the second to Conakry, Guinea. All the Indians I met were polite, enthusiastic, at their desks by 7am, fluent in at least three languages and every bit the professional equal of their English counterparts. On arrival in Conakry I had to bribe the immigration officer $100 just to get my suitcase back at the airport. There were rats in my hotel room and at the organisation I was consulting for, people started drifting into work at around 10-11am, clearly hung over. They were using 1970s Soviet technology of which they only had a rudimentary understanding, and disappeared in the early afternoon to get pi**ed again. That says it all, I think. My guess is that the constant flow of 'development' aid to Africa, spurred on by the likes of Blair and Geldof, is mainly what is allowing this state of affairs to continue.

This thread cracks me up!! laurejon makes another one of his mischievous posts and you all fall for it :lol:

Yes Cletus, with laurejon's arch conservative tongue in cheek posts to date we all took this one exactly at face value :rolleyes:

colonialists let the Aricans out of their evil clutches before they were ready, unlike Indians who really fought for independence or the Chinese who had several millenia long state tradition

the only option is to invade and re-colonize Africa now

Let the babyboomers sort it out if they want to, they are the people who can afford to travel etc. I agree charity begins at home. Who gives a stuff about Global Warming as long as the weather gets warmer thats good enough for me.

I happen to agree here!!....the boomers were preaching free love back in the 60's,and decided to vote in feckwit governments to line their own pockets and steal from their own children.

you reap what you sow....don't take it personally when the youngsters deny you healthcare.

"Could we be doing more...?" - Knowing Laurejon, I did realise he had his tongue in his cheek. But to consider the question seriously:

Such thinking leads one inevitably to ecological considerations - how many people can the world sustain and at what level of material consumption?

Which leads me to my personal conclusion: Since there isn't a snowball in hell's chance of humans agreeing to distribute resources for the greatest good of the greatest number, we are all f***ed.

Overconsume.... overconsume.... resource shortages.... war, social breakdown. I think resource wars are going to be an ever enlarging feature of C21st history, as is scapegoating of particular social groups even within the rich nations.

Ho hum. Prozac anyone?

The best way to help the people in Africa, is to do nothing at all.

We see pictures of dying babies in Africa and it make us feel sad and guilty, we send some money to relieve them from their misery. This money must go through the corrupt governments that allow this tragedy to occur. The government buys arms to continue to fight their civil wars and cause more misery.

If we stopped all aid to Africa, then the governments would soon run out of funds and be no longer to fight their wars while neglecting their own people.

These governments would fall and and be replaced. Sooner or later they will be forced to improve the country infrastructure and help the people we all feel sorry for.

In the meantime, the west should stop meddling the affairs of these unstable countries and allow them to evolve naturally into stronger countries.

We should defintiely print lots more money. This will ensure that the Third World will be paying for food goods that are much better than they would otherwise be able to afford, after all it stands to reason that you can only guarantee quality with a reassuringly expensive premium price.

The Third World could then truly say they have joined the financial head table. Of course none of this would be considered inflationary either .

Oh damn, I'm getting the housing market and food markets all mixed up again.

Can I interest anyone in a 50 year loan for tomorrow's dinner?