House Price Crash Forum

Financial Mail - Good Journalism - Not!

Why is it the Daily/Sunday/Financial Mail is seemingly so reluctant to print bearish HPC stories - there can only be 2 reasons:

1. The Sunday Mail property supplement generates far too much revenue for them to risk upsetting the advertisers

2. About three years ago they started predicting prices would come down & until very recently they were looking foolish as the predictions were poorly timed

For a newspaer, especially the Financial Mail, that presents itself as a champion of the people, enlightening the public & offering impartial advice, it is SCANDALOUS that they don't not have the courage or honesty to tell their readers about the biggest financial event that will affect most of their readers for many years.

They find it easier to write about buying homes in Spain or Bulgaria or Croatia than saying how risky buying homes in the UK is right now.

Just look at their 'House Price Thermometer' they publish every Sunday. Rises are shown in red & drops in blue. So why do they show 'zero change' in red as it provides a distorted image to the reader who casually glances?

I bet they would rather talk about the investment opportunities for BTL in Iraq print a HPC headline!

Why is it the Daily/Sunday/Financial Mail is seemingly so reluctant to print bearish HPC stories - there can only be 2 reasons:

1. The Sunday Mail property supplement generates far too much revenue for them to risk upsetting the advertisers

Got it in one.

Trouble is that word is getting out now so if they are to have any credibility with there readership then they had better start telling the truth pretty dam quick.

All owned by Murdock anyway

Have you not thought that it might be you that thinks there is a house price crash as the rest of the world merrily go about their normal business.

RICS House prices rose 12% in 2004

RICS House price inflation is expected to soften ending the year 2005 at 5%

Thats not a houseprice crash nor a reduction, face facts many people have lost money but its certainly not the house owners.

Its the renters and the STR's.

I would be will cheesed off if I sold my house last year and then watched it go up 12% while I shelled out dead rent money.

In addition I would be even more p1ssed if they went up again 6% in 2005.

laurejon,you do make me laugh!!!!!!

your agrument depends on trawiling up figures for y-o-y growth!!

this figure was 23.8 % in july!!!!!

now it's 12%

in 6 months time it'll be negative!!!!

what'll be your case then?...oh don't worry it's just a blip,it'll recover.

I've heard that one before(about 4 years ago to be precise!!!!!!!!!!!!)

what'll be your case then?...oh don't worry it's just a blip,it'll recover.

I've heard that one before(about 4 years ago to be precise!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Indeed you did hear that, and hopefully you had the common sense not to sell up and take their advice.

House prices went up 12% over the year 2004 what more do you need to know.

House Prices will rise 6% in 2005 can you find a better, safer, investment that you can also utilise in that you live in it and its tax free.

All figures from RICS. Who are Bears by proffesion.