House Price Crash Forum
OzzMosiz

Lots Of Houses For Sale

I drove home from work to my Mums yesterday, which is about a 10 mile rural(ish) drive. I do not pass any housing estates whatsoever. All the houses are by the roadside, and I probably (at a guess) pass about 100 houses.

Well I noticed at least 10 houses for sale, which is unusally high. I noticed the same surge of houses on the market in 2005 too.

These are typically expensive houses (£300-500K - checkout Brinkworth)- looks like people are getting jittery again!

An IR cut 'aint gonna happen.

Up it goes and HPI is insignificant now.

It 'aint gonna happen now people are in debt - it's the system - has been for a long while now.

The question is how bad? :ph34r:

I drove home from work to my Mums yesterday, which is about a 10 mile rural(ish) drive. I do not pass any housing estates whatsoever. All the houses are by the roadside, and I probably (at a guess) pass about 100 houses.

Well I noticed at least 10 houses for sale, which is unusally high. I noticed the same surge of houses on the market in 2005 too.

These are typically expensive houses (£300-500K - checkout Brinkworth)- looks like people are getting jittery again!

In 2005 their were a few for sale boards up in yorkshire however in places such as watford on the outskirts of london there were just one or two now in 2007 their are a sxxt load of for sale signs around yorkshire and when i went to watford last week I couldnt believe how many for sale signs their were ive been traveling down their for 8 years once a month and have never seen so many so i would sumise this is it just sit back and watch the brown stuff trickle down from the north straight into the capital.

In 2005 their were a few for sale boards up in yorkshire however in places such as watford on the outskirts of london there were just one or two now in 2007 their are a sxxt load of for sale signs around yorkshire and when i went to watford last week I couldnt believe how many for sale signs their were ive been traveling down their for 8 years once a month and have never seen so many so i would sumise this is it just sit back and watch the brown stuff trickle down from the north straight into the capital.

I thought people were leaving the city for the countryside, not the other way around... :ph34r:

I thought people were leaving the city for the countryside, not the other way around... :ph34r:

umm yorkshire do have big cities as well we all dont get up in the morning and race whippets you know.

... so i would sumise this is it just sit back and watch the brown stuff trickle down from the north straight into the capital.

Many people have made such predictions of house price deflation, but all of them have been wrong, watching as house prices went up and up.

Will you be right, I wonder? :unsure:

umm yorkshire do have big cities as well we all dont get up in the morning and race whippets you know.

LOL

Down in London there is a widespread belief that people in Yorkshire all run farms, race whippets all day and are married to their own brothers and sisters. The idea of there being a city centre is pure fantasy. Surely?

B)

Down in London there is a widespread belief that people in Yorkshire all run farms, race whippets all day and are married to their own brothers and sisters. The idea of there being a city centre is pure fantasy. Surely?

B)

You saying Londoners are ignorant? Sounds about right <_<

An IR cut 'aint gonna happen.

Up it goes and HPI is insignificant now.

It 'aint gonna happen now people are in debt - it's the system - has been for a long while now.

The question is how bad? :ph34r:

There was an article on Reuters the other day that said that financial markets expect interest rates to rise to 6.25% by early next year.

Article 6.25%

We might have finally reached a turning point. I too am noticing more houses up for sale and less 'Sold Signs' than a few weeks ago. I travel from Bacup to Halifax every day (18 miles 5 towns).

Dr Bubb has also been doing some good analysis on the 'builders stocks'. It looks like these are pointing to a fall.

Interest rates rises in the last year will start kicking into effect soon. The US market continues to decline. Spain and Ireland seem to have started to steer into HPC territory. Possibility of further interest rate rises soon. 5% of BTL's have got out of the market. Growing debt crises. Increasing media interest in a hpc possibility. 18 year house price cycle this year. Strong possibility of a global stock market fall in the autumn with any serious stock market correction affecting liquidity in the London Housing market.

Likelyhood of Oil Price Increases; tensions in the middle East; world bond market falls pushing up global interest rates; serious inflation risks. Price to incomes ratio getting out of control.

I think that there are more indicators of an imminent HPC than at any other time this century (all seven years of it).

Guest happy?

What time of day do you get up to race your whippet then?

I was going to say I'd noticed the same on a street in London but when I looked closer they were advertising the local school fete. Still I think there were a few more for sale signs compared to this time last year.

We might have finally reached a turning point. I too am noticing more houses up for sale and less 'Sold Signs' than a few weeks ago. I travel from Bacup to Halifax every day (18 miles 5 towns).

I can't find them online, but noticed a forest of for sale boards on a row of terraces at Charlestown (up on the left after Pot Bellied stoves on your way to Hebden Bridge).

I wondered if I was just noticing more signs because my grilf and I are looking to rent somewhere together, but I think it's more than that. Houses in good areas seem to be sticking.

The only way is down.

I also see a lot of houses/flats for sale in the Midlands area. It`s been said many times before (by myself, I must admit), but it does feel like things are changing. At best, I think prices may struggle to stay where they are. The next rate rise will be the one that starts to produce some real results.

I can't find them online, but noticed a forest of for sale boards on a row of terraces at Charlestown (up on the left after Pot Bellied stoves on your way to Hebden Bridge).

I wondered if I was just noticing more signs because my grilf and I are looking to rent somewhere together, but I think it's more than that. Houses in good areas seem to be sticking.

The only way is down.

I know the houses that you are refering to. I pass them every day. Most of them have been up For Sale for a few months. One sold a couple of months back ( or at least there was a sold sign among the five or six 'For Sale' signs).

A bit further along, towards Hebden Bridge, just after the turning circle, on the left, there is a small modernish development that also has a couple of houses that have been on the market for quite a while. From my observations, travelling down the Calder Valley, houses have not been selling too quickly, although there have been a steady number of sales over the last few months.

The larger towns has been a different story. The Burnley and Halifax markets have been on fire. Sold signs all over the place. However, these towns seem to be cooling off now. Granted, houses are still selling in these towns but the numbers apperas to be diminishing at a time (late spring) when you would expect the market to be stepping up a gear.

I also see a lot of houses/flats for sale in the Midlands area. It`s been said many times before (by myself, I must admit), but it does feel like things are changing. At best, I think prices may struggle to stay where they are. The next rate rise will be the one that starts to produce some real results.

Some people say that each interest rate rise will have "the effect". However, rate rise after rate rise seems to be having no effect on official HPI figures. Come down to London and you will find out what the people who are buying properties at breakneck speed think of the rate rises.

I dont believe that the next 0.25% rate rise will have a significant effect on the HPI situation. I believe that we need to see rates of at least 8%. Anything less than this will simply cause a slow down in HPI. Perhaps we might see some negative figures (YoY), but nothing that can be described as a crash.

Our mornings are spent cleaning up the pigeon droppings in the front room, whippets are strictly a pm thing round here

Don't mock! My parents used to live near a mining community in South Yorkshire and they knew families with chickens kept in a pen made out of wire netting wrapped round the kitchen table legs and a hole in the table top to sweep crumbs down. They kept the pigeons and wippet outside in a shed next to the privvy.

Many people have made such predictions of house price deflation, but all of them have been wrong, watching as house prices went up and up.

Will you be right, I wonder? :unsure:

LOL

B)

Run farms? Surely everyone's unemployed?

Quote from a colleague: "Surely we've invented technology so that we don't have to go up north anymore?"

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

Don't mock! My parents used to live near a mining community in South Yorkshire and they knew families with chickens kept in a pen made out of wire netting wrapped round the kitchen table legs and a hole in the table top to sweep crumbs down. They kept the pigeons and wippet outside in a shed next to the privvy.

I'm too busy cleaning the flood damage today, the pigeons will have to wait :(