House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IP Newcomer

What's Gordon Cooking?

Is Brown promising a return to Old Labour verities to the grassroots?

I just get the feeling that a lot of Brownites are talking about housing reform as if it's going to be the next big thing.

So has anyone managed to crash these hustings to see what Brown is saying about housing. Is he just mouthing platitudes or is he talking about specifics about building homes (ie stripping councils of planning rights) or controls on private landlords?

Although I personally think controls of private landlords are a bad thing (I used to be a free market fundamentalist, and some bits of it stick) I can see the political advantage of pandering to private tenants at the expense of a Tory voting and dispersed minority.

Is Brown promising a return to Old Labour verities to the grassroots?

I just get the feeling that a lot of Brownites are talking about housing reform as if it's going to be the next big thing.

So has anyone managed to crash these hustings to see what Brown is saying about housing. Is he just mouthing platitudes or is he talking about specifics about building homes (ie stripping councils of planning rights) or controls on private landlords?

Although I personally think controls of private landlords are a bad thing (I used to be a free market fundamentalist, and some bits of it stick) I can see the political advantage of pandering to private tenants at the expense of a Tory voting and dispersed minority.

...is it not the case private landlords (BTLers) who borrow to buy, enjoy a tax advantage not available to say owner occupier buyers of property like FTB's. This is not a free market , where hoarders of houses like misers with money sit in the corner gloating over their tax advantaged pile. By taking positions in 'homes' the aspiration of a new generation is extinguished......the simple aspiration of buying a house, in which to live.

Accordingly, would it not be fair to remove this 'advantage'.

Gordon Brown this is your first test!

...(BTLers) who borrow to buy, enjoy a tax advantage not available to say owner occupier buyers of property like FTB's.

That's right. Disposal of BTL properties are subject to CGT at 40% whereas disposal of owner occupied properties are entirely free of all capital taxes.

Note for American readers: this is known as 'irony'. :rolleyes:

That's right. Disposal of BTL properties are subject to CGT at 40% whereas disposal of owner occupied properties are entirely free of all capital taxes.

Note for American readers: this is known as 'irony'. :rolleyes:

Yes, but BTL people are very likely to cheat on CGT and on claiming mortgage payments as expenses. But this can be cut down.

Yes, but BTL people are very likely to cheat on CGT and on claiming mortgage payments as expenses. But this can be cut down.

...yeah mortgage interest and other expenses are set off against rental income. CGT can be minimised to almost zero through taper relief if the property is held for seven to ten years and personal allowances.

In a country where there is a shortage of homes, treating BTL's as a speculative investment with uncontrolled marketing hype (not controlled by the FSA)and tax advantages, reflects little interest in encouraging the next generation. This is the sign of a dying nation.

Edited by South Lorne

5 million-something of the priced-outs is a huge force. Politicians are suckers for votes. I think they are buying themselves time now and selling up. then they'll turn the old order upside down.

alternative is a housing insipred rebellion with BNP in the spearhead