HOLA441
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6733385.stm

biggest joke - it costs £50k WITHOUT THE LAND.

Not very long ago, you could get a three bedroom brick-built terrace, with a garden, quite adequate for a family, in most of the country for less than £40k.

Takes the p*ss - worse still, if that`s all you`ve got to look forward to then you`re going to get even more people opting for the dole route when they may have decided otherwise if they could be persuaded to believe that their years of hard work would amount to something !! :angry: :lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest casaloco

The mere idea of this is repugnant.

Young working people have to live in 8ft cubes while pensioners live out their retirement in 4 bedroom semis.

Prisoners get more room than this.

And 50,000 is alughable... you can by a good static caravan/mobile home for half that price.

HOLA445
The mere idea of this is repugnant.

Young working people have to live in 8ft cubes while pensioners live out their retirement in 4 bedroom semis.

Prisoners get more room than this.

And 50,000 is alughable... you can by a good static caravan/mobile home for half that price.

This really is pathetic.

Young people should take to the streets and riot if this is what the old spuds think they deserve -

A fu*king portaloo. :angry:

HOLA446

I think it's genious! The best scam yet... buy a load of caravans, remove the wheels and then sell them on for several times what you paid for them under the pretense of "trendy homes for young people". Plenty of gullible people out there to sell to - you know the ones who'll pay any price, no matter how deluded to "get onto the property ladder" because portaloo prices "only ever go up" :lol::lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest grumpy-old-man

Not very long ago, you could get a three bedroom brick-built terrace, with a garden, quite adequate for a family, in most of the country for less than £40k.

me & Mrs GOM watched this last night on the news & even the news presenter looked bemused.

Is this what it has come to. :(

HOLA449
HOLA4410

My grand parents once bought a place for £5000. Its outrageous, its just so unfair that the same place 50 years later costs more. I just cant work out why. Is it BTL?

HOLA4411
My grand parents once bought a place for £5000. Its outrageous, its just so unfair that the same place 50 years later costs more. I just cant work out why. Is it BTL?

Your grandparents lived in high inflation period with little global competition, so salaries could match inflation. We dont, but you know that already!

HOLA4412
Guest casaloco

Can I suggest that we get a movement together that encourages homeless people to move into empty BTL properties and squat.

It's takes upto 12 months to evict a squatter... so you get to live 12 months rent free, while preventnig the BTLer earning any rent on it or selling it.

HOLA4413
Can I suggest that we get a movement together that encourages homeless people to move into empty BTL properties and squat.

It's takes upto 12 months to evict a squatter... so you get to live 12 months rent free, while preventnig the BTLer earning any rent on it or selling it.

Bring it on.

www.btl2squat.co.uk

Print any btls out and hand to your local beggers :)

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA4414
Guest casaloco

I'm going to start a new site... www.squatnow.com/org/co.uk

Encouraging people to squat in empty BTL properties and giving people the oportunity to list empty properties that and insecure and ripe for occupation.

Not that I would encourage people to MAKE properties ripe for occupation, by, say picking the lock, or kicking the door in and then replacing it and all the locks...

HOLA4415

What really, really pisses me off is the way the trendy BBC News muppet presents it as a perfectly normal, acceptable place to live in this day and age. He uses all the positive phrases - "sleek lines", "tastefully done in shades of calming grey", "The front door leads straight into a combined shower/toilet cubicle which poses a few interesting logistical questions, but ultimately can save time", "the kitchen is compact and very usable", "a comfortable sleeping area that's not at all cramped", "I don't feel claustrophobic at any time", "it's a real pleasure to potter around" (potter in an 8ft cube - prison cells are bigger!), "At £50,000 (fully installed and functioning), it could be a starter home for someone struggling with today's house prices"

The BBC should be ripping the sh1t out of the government for allowing the housing situation to get to such a disgraceful state, not giving free advertising to the architect! I'll bet the architect who attended his party doesn't live in one.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOLA4416
Guest casaloco

Tech note: will now be:

www.squatnow.com/org/net/info/co.uk

Anyone wishing to lend a hand providing material is welcome. (i.e. Any help would be good!)

Plan to have basic site up and running by end of weekend.

Will be Not For Profit site. No ads unless bandwidth goes through roof and my hosting provider threatens to rape me.

HOLA4417

This is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash along the lines of "housing crisis solved by clever architects designing a cheap house". It is reasonably clever, it may even be 'cool' but the cost of construction is of course not the problem, as is well documented on this site.

Some simple maths: £50,000 for a 6.7sqm house means nearly £7000/per square metre - so the cost of construction is anything between 5 and 10x the cost per unit area of a normal house. I don't know about you but I'd rather multiply the area of the house! So all it can really hope to save on is the amount of land it takes up - which just highlights the fact that the problem is the underlying lunatic land values or more specifically the increasing cost of the hot air pumping up the housing bubble.

Ironically not even the architects appear to believe this is a solution to the housing crisis - the Extreme Building website describe it thus:

"The aluminium cube is specifically designed for short-stay smart living and is suitable for a variety of locations, providing sophisticated compact accommodation for business or leisure use."

So, assuming its not all tongue-in-cheek, you have to ask yourself how dumb can a BBC reporter be...?!

HOLA4418

Anybody else thinking along the "japanese capsule" line here??

it's spookily similar,and they made an entrance just prior to the market tanking!!!!

Anyway,why anyone would go for one of these semi-detatched coal bunkers is beyond me.

Far,far simpler to buy an old campervan off ebay....park it near a recreation centre(for access to showers etc),and rent a PO box for your mail.......you get the added bonus of NO COUNCIL TAX!!!

HOLA4419

Bottom line still states, I rent a fantastic 2 bed flat in a beautiful part of Newcastle with great Barbaque yard for £475 a month all in with the flat above on market for £139,000.

If people want ot spend £650 a month on interest to 'own' it, thats their choice. It's a shame I don't own, but I'm doing my bit to help the 'crash/correction' along by not buying.

We will laugh at news reports like this in 5 years.

HOLA4420
Guest casaloco

You're not "doing your bit to help the 'crash/correction' along by not buying", you feeding the BTL market you wazzock.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This story can only mean one of two things:

1. We are in for the most serious property crash in history.

2. It is time for you all to leave the country.

Why not just buy up some farmland and put an illegal camp like the gypsies/pikeys do? I'd rather break the law than live in worst conditions than farm animals.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4424
This story can only mean one of two things:

1. We are in for the most serious property crash in history.

2. It is time for you all to leave the country.

Why not just buy up some farmland and put an illegal camp like the gypsies/pikeys do? I'd rather break the law than live in worst conditions than farm animals.

That's what happened in the last crash. The "new age travellers" were mostly middle class families who couldn't afford a home so they went camping, permanently. Of course the Daily Mail vilified them and there was even new legislation introduced to try and curb what was viewed as antisocial behaviour. I viewed them as sensible and desperate to escape the seemingly inescapable nightmare of extraordinarily high house prices.

HOLA4425
That's what happened in the last crash. The "new age travellers" were mostly middle class families who couldn't afford a home so they went camping, permanently. Of course the Daily Mail vilified them and there was even new legislation introduced to try and curb what was viewed as antisocial behaviour. I viewed them as sensible and desperate to escape the seemingly inescapable nightmare of extraordinarily high house prices.

If people on this site bought up several hundred acres of farmland and started an illegal camp the government wouldn't be able to do a thing. It would highlight the cause of the FTB in the most audacious way possible. The government couldn't argue because of public opinion. It would be the poll-tax riots all over again. It's a lovely thought. :lol: