House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timm

Even The Sun Is Turning!

This was spooky. I had noticed that people around me were starting to cotton onto the fact that price inflation is a lot higher than the official figures. And I thought to myself hmm, I wonder what your average chap on the street is hearing from his media? So I went to the Sun online, searched for "inflation" (ordered by date), and got this!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007260526,00.html

OK, it's only beer, but expect more over the coming weeks on food, fuel, flights... The point of this is that Mr Kings constant attempts to "anchor inflation expectations on the 2% target" are over.

No-one believes him any more. Not even Sun readers.

Come on Timm - own up - you're an avid sun reader really aren't you.

You got me!

A lot of people here seem baffled by what ordinary people think and believe. Well go and read the Sun and find out. It does have a pretty solid grasp of the mood on the street. It's easy to disparage a paper like the Sun, but if you ignore it you are ignoring one of the main indicators of public sentiment. They know it too. Remember the headline after the Sun supported the Conservatives at the election in '92: "It's the Sun wot won it". And theres plenty who would agree that it was the Sun that gave Blair victory in 97 after they switched sides.

Anyway, I think The Sun is about to turn Bear on house prices. And you just watch the sheeple swing in behind...

Do you think the Sun will support Cameron or Brown? Can Murdoch's support be bought or will he just hitch his support to what he thinks is the winning bandwagon?

This was spooky. I had noticed that people around me were starting to cotton onto the fact that price inflation is a lot higher than the official figures. And I thought to myself hmm, I wonder what your average chap on the street is hearing from his media? So I went to the Sun online, searched for "inflation" (ordered by date), and got this!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007260526,00.html

OK, it's only beer, but expect more over the coming weeks on food, fuel, flights... The point of this is that Mr Kings constant attempts to "anchor inflation expectations on the 2% target" are over.

No-one believes him any more. Not even Sun readers.

Beer's going up unfortunately. Good if GB dropped taxes on it, let everyone have a cheap pint!

"Neil Williams, of the British Beer and Pub Association, insisted: “Margins in the pub trade are extremely tight — the profit per pint is currently 1.6p.”

Please - what a load of BS, margins that tight it's not even worth opening a pub

Do you think the Sun will support Cameron or Brown? Can Murdoch's support be bought or will he just hitch his support to what he thinks is the winning bandwagon?

If there is a clear leader the Sun will back them. Might as well be on the winning side after all.

However if there is a close contest they will seek to influence it in favour of whatever party promises to back their agenda best. That agenda is free markets and social control. No wonder they backed Blair.

As to whether Gordon or David will show more promise on that agenda, it's too early to call.

Edit. I don't think Murdoch can be bought by a British political party. They can't afford him.

Edited by Timm

Someone on here predicted about 6 months ago that the murdoch publications would fall one by one (away from Brown). First the Spectator went, the Times appears to have gone bear in the last 2 weeks, so lets keep an eye out for the turning of the sun. Maybe over the silly season?

The "Scottish" Sun was aggressively pro-Labour in the May elections, to the extent of putting a mapof Scotland in a hangman's noose and a warning not to vote SNP on the front page on May 3rd, which amusingly aligned it with its bitter rival up here, the Daily Record.

The Sun always walks a tightrope between its right wing, big-business agenda and its readership, it can be quite funny to watch sometimes. I remember one time when they couldn't ignore the "chav" label but didn't want to offend the millions of chavs for whom the super soaraway Sun is their only reading material. They opted for a "good chav/bad chav" centre spread.

It all depends on Brown...if he swings leftward, then News International will drop him like a hot potato. If he is the champion of "Blairs Legacy" :lol::lol::lol: they'll stick by him. Murdoch is an arch-republican and no friend of toffs like Dave Cameron. Actually, Murdoch probably couldn't care less, like most of the rest of the country - he realises that the infitesimal differences in policy between NuLab and NuCon render any change of government virtually meaningless.

I've been checking The Sun for months now to see when they would pick up the inflation story. Who would have thought it would be just after the 1.9 shock? Today (15 August 2007) they rock in with "Food prices to rocket...Why you will pay MORE for your Christmas dinner"

Not only that, but they have a double page spread on "Exodus - where the Brits are fleeing to", based on how shite the UK is, apparently.

And finally, a tiny aside mentions Abbey's owner (Banco Santander...) having that 1.5 Billion exposure to "high risk loans in the US".

That's it lads, the super soaraway Sun just called the top. It's all over bar the wailing.

Edited by Timm

Someone on here predicted about 6 months ago that the murdoch publications would fall one by one (away from Brown). First the Spectator went, the Times appears to have gone bear in the last 2 weeks, so lets keep an eye out for the turning of the sun. Maybe over the silly season?

You were spot on.

Beer's going up unfortunately. Good if GB dropped taxes on it, let everyone have a cheap pint!

"Neil Williams, of the British Beer and Pub Association, insisted: “Margins in the pub trade are extremely tight — the profit per pint is currently 1.6p.”

Please - what a load of BS, margins that tight it's not even worth opening a pub

You're quite right. This is a typical VI lie masquarading as spin.

What this bozo is doing is taking your typical publican's nett earnings after all expenses such as rent, staff, insurance, tax etc, isolating the proportion of his turnover which comes from beer sales, and dividing it by the number of pints he sells.

The true gross margin on a pint of beer - the difference between what he buys it for and what he sells it for - is nearer £1.00.

There's a big difference between gross margins and nett margins.

You got me!

A lot of people here seem baffled by what ordinary people think and believe. Well go and read the Sun and find out. It does have a pretty solid grasp of the mood on the street. It's easy to disparage a paper like the Sun, but if you ignore it you are ignoring one of the main indicators of public sentiment. They know it too. Remember the headline after the Sun supported the Conservatives at the election in '92: "It's the Sun wot won it". And theres plenty who would agree that it was the Sun that gave Blair victory in 97 after they switched sides.

Anyway, I think The Sun is about to turn Bear on house prices. And you just watch the sheeple swing in behind...

I'm glad to see that you've finally cottoned on to the fact that you are not "ordinary" - I've thought that about you for quite some time. Do you really think people need to read newspapers to realise that food prices are going up ?

The thing is, margin on a diet coke is probably £1.60 out of the £1.80 price. And these days pubs sell more of those than beers, I bet.

You got me!

"A lot of people here seem baffled by what ordinary people think and believe. Well go and read the Sun and find out"

WHAT? I think you give the SCUM a little too much respect....it's just bog paper.

"A lot of people here seem baffled by what ordinary people think and believe. Well go and read the Sun and find out"

WHAT? I think you give the SCUM a little too much respect....it's just bog paper.

bog paper or not its the biggest selling paper in britain

Guest Bart of Darkness
They opted for a "good chav/bad chav" centre spread.

I'm guessing that the "good chav" featured a picture of a coffin or gravestone? :D

Journalist friend told me:

"When the Sun turns - that's when the crash will start. It's the 'The Sun Says' thing. Just you see"

That's sort of my point.

Although it seems I should point out to some others that this tread started in June. I updated it because it seemed the paper in question had turned.

Take a look at front page of "The Sun" for friday 17 th

Just seen a review on Sky News and most of the papers lead on the credit crunch.

Stand by for an influx of new visitors to HPC

Journalist friend told me:

"When the Sun turns - that's when the crash will start. It's the 'The Sun Says' thing. Just you see"

I agree

It's quite simple really, IMO

The Sun does not lead the direction of public sentiment, it follows

So if the 'Sun Says' then Joe Blogs is already thinking it.