House Price Crash Forum

Paranoia And Myth Is Driving The Market

HOLA441

Typically the BBC news story this evening is of acute and continuing housing shortages, rising prices and the prospect of living in "modular" houses 8 feet square (a snip at £50,000!).

Balderdash and piffle! There is NO housing shortage...in fact there are more houses currently on the market than at possibly any other previous time in the last two centuries. So where is this myth being generated? Why, the press of course...and TV and magazines, with the BBC leading the way in utterly conventional thinking.

I won't repeat what I and countless others have been saying here for months if not years, except to summarise: The UK (and indeed European) housing market is entirely propped up by a conventional wisdom which is overcoming any thought possessed of an inkling of critical faculties. The market is reaching total Bull5hit status. It is FEAR and lack of intelligence on behalf of those bludgeoned into buying at any cost which is extending the boom beyond any plausible position.

The UK market will continue to rise insanely as long as, frankly, imbeciles believe the utter tripe they are fed by the enormous power of the media, the property crowd, and government spokesmen and women.

It is as though all intelligent thought has been entirely suspended. If only first time buyers could gather together sense and a little courage, for it is they who have the power to bring the market to sensible levels. As long as they continue to pander, or rather grovel, to the ludicrous prices others higher up the pyramid think is their right, then they will get what in effect they deserve...ever spiralling prices.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest casaloco

There are plenty of houses, it's just BTLers have bought them all. There are hundreds of thousands of empty houses, we just need to force the owners to let us use them!

The best plan would be to remove the tax breaks for buy-to-let landlords.

Why not, instead of taxing the people who work, we tax the people who own all the land?

HOLA445
Typically the BBC news story this evening is of acute and continuing housing shortages, rising prices and the prospect of living in "modular" houses 8 feet square (a snip at £50,000!).

Balderdash and piffle! There is NO housing shortage...in fact there are more houses currently on the market than at possibly any other previous time in the last two centuries. So where is this myth being generated? Why, the press of course...and TV and magazines, with the BBC leading the way in utterly conventional thinking.

I won't repeat what I and countless others have been saying here for months if not years, except to summarise: The UK (and indeed European) housing market is entirely propped up by a conventional wisdom which is overcoming any thought possessed of an inkling of critical faculties. The market is reaching total Bull5hit status. It is FEAR and lack of intelligence on behalf of those bludgeoned into buying at any cost which is extending the boom beyond any plausible position.

The UK market will continue to rise insanely as long as, frankly, imbeciles believe the utter tripe they are fed by the enormous power of the media, the property crowd, and government spokesmen and women.

It is as though all intelligent thought has been entirely suspended. If only first time buyers could gather together sense and a little courage, for it is they who have the power to bring the market to sensible levels. As long as they continue to pander, or rather grovel, to the ludicrous prices others higher up the pyramid think is their right, then they will get what in effect they deserve...ever spiralling prices.

VP

Agreed, the utter obsession with housing bemuses me. I myself was obsessed, I found this site I must of been. After reflecting on the problem I thought why I am worried about this? Being an utter slave to an inanimate object is madness at best. Speaking to a friend yesterday he was talking how every penny he has counts to pay the morgage. He can't afford to stop working find another job or move.

I could see that he would like to be in my position. Would I like to own his house with his worries? No

HOLA446
Agreed, the utter obsession with housing bemuses me. I myself was obsessed, I found this site I must of been. After reflecting on the problem I thought why I am worried about this? Being an utter slave to an inanimate object is madness at best. Speaking to a friend yesterday he was talking how every penny he has counts to pay the morgage. He can't afford to stop working find another job or move.

I could see that he would like to be in my position. Would I like to own his house with his worries? No

Try sleeping on the street for a few months and you will realise why people are obsessed with housing.

It's like saying people are crazy to think about food 3 times a day, after all it's just inanimate carbohydrate, fat and protein?

Shelter is considered to be a basic human right, FFS. We are being made to slave for it.

HOLA447

Tried giving up oxygen lately?

HOLA448
Try sleeping on the street for a few months and you will realise why people are obsessed with housing.

It's like saying people are crazy to think about food 3 times a day, after all it's just inanimate carbohydrate, fat and protein?

Shelter is considered to be a basic human right, FFS. We are being made to slave for it.

Be obsessed about having a roof over your head is reasonable. But selling your entire being just to say yeah that's mine when really it's the bank's is daft.

HOLA449

great point, i almost had to do it for one night in London and it scared the shit out of me.

London seems a great city during the day but at night there are wild wolves roam the streets,

HOLA4410
where to find reliable statistics of UK housing stock? Number of houses/population*100%=HPI bull5hit coefficient

Hee hee, sorry - off topic.

Have a look at Alex's profile - lots of visits today.

Then look at everyone else's on here...might have had a visit in the last month if you're lucky.

Bunch of pervs the lot of you... :lol:

HOLA4411

Being a bit a n a l (a bad habit of mine), I`d like to draw your attention to the Human Rights Act. It states that indviduals have a right to a family but not a home. Erm, cart before horse methinks; result: loads of chavs needing housing because they had a right to a family and a family needs a home to survive in. Individuals - disabled, mentally ill, elderly - pushed to the back of the queue.

At least now in Portsmouth getting up the duff isn`t an automatic ticket to a new house! :lol:

Edited by southsea13

HOLA4412
great point, i almost had to do it for one night in London and it scared the shit out of me.

London seems a great city during the day but at night there are wild wolves roam the streets,

I haven't slept rough, got a camper van. Pretty sure it wouldn't last long parked up in london.

HOLA4413
where to find reliable statistics of UK housing stock? Number of houses/population*100%=HPI bull5hit coefficient

statistically around 160,000 are built each year but to keep up with demand we actually need about 220,000-250,000 new homes each year.

Edited by mfp123

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

We are, but while we are willing to do anything for it we will be exploited. I am not willing to do anything for it. Personally I've found being fixated on this one aspect of living necessary though it is really destroys a big parts of your life.

HOLA4416

VP

Firstly I was under the impression that the FTB left the market a long time ago, or so many say....

Secondly your right there are plenty of properties for sale but when you have a closer look you find very few good quality established family homes, Loads and loads of modern apartments and run down maisonettes etc.

Draw yourself up a list of ideal locations, Size and quality of the property you require and you will soon see the number drop.

The balance is just not right, and if you are lucky enough to find one you like its probably well overpriced due to the supply/Demand theory and even then its probably on the market by someone not really wanting to move but wanting to see the max they can achieve for their property.

HOLA4417
Hee hee, sorry - off topic.

Have a look at Alex's profile - lots of visits today.

Then look at everyone else's on here...might have had a visit in the last month if you're lucky.

Bunch of pervs the lot of you... :lol:

I had a look too. if someone uses an avatar of pamela anderson then we assume the person is a male with a pamela anderson fixation a la Borat.

But if they use an avatar of a more homely girl then we assume the person is actually represented by the avatar and therefore must be female.

Why should that be ?

HOLA4418
We are, but while we are willing to do anything for it we will be exploited. I am not willing to do anything for it. Personally I've found being fixated on this one aspect of living necessary though it is really destroys a big parts of your life.

I agree that not having a home sucks to hell (been there, done it :( ). I also think that this national obsession is really quite sad. In my naivety, it would make more sense to build houses to meet the demand and hopefully make it more affordable all round, wouldn`t it?? Aside from planning regulations and VIs, am I missing something??? :unsure::blink::rolleyes:

HOLA4419
I had a look too. if someone uses an avatar of pamela anderson then we assume the person is a male with a pamela anderson fixation a la Borat.

But if they use an avatar of a more homely girl then we assume the person is actually represented by the avatar and therefore must be female.

Why should that be ?

Well, you would wouldn't you...? :P

HOLA4420
I agree that not having a home sucks to hell (been there, done it :( ). I also think that this national obsession is really quite sad. In my naivety, it would make more sense to build houses to meet the demand and hopefully make it more affordable all round, wouldn`t it?? Aside from planning regulations and VIs, am I missing something??? :unsure::blink::rolleyes:

I think what is needed is a law limiting the number homes someone can own plus a land tax. Also better laws protecting tenents for those who are not actually that bothered about owning a house but need security.

Edited by Ipodjunky

HOLA4421

The beautiful countryside and wildlife, I do not want to be surrounded by a concrete jungle.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp
There is no shortage of housing

There appears to be in my area, I have been informed that EAs have lots of prospective buyers who are trying to escape the Inner London Boroughs and want to move out to the borders of Greater London. Evidently Mr & Mrs B from Tower Hamlets are desperate to buy my house according to the latest flyer I received today.

HOLA4424

It's a combination of two things:

The government won't let us build enough houses (which makes it economically viable to buy houses and leave them empty, the government prevents supply catching up with demand).

The other thing is the tax system - if you put your money into a pension, shares, gold, anything except a house, the government will take most of it away from you. If you put it into a house, you aren't taxed on it. People with money have little choice, they either spend it on a house or watch the government take it away from them...

HOLA4425

i totally agree, it is not primarily a supply problem. The real problem is that houses are seen as investment assets. The reason for this is that money is being constantly devalued by the actions of the Bank of England by keeping interest rates low. To put a stop to this problem we need a free market for interest rates, among other things..

1. Return to 100% reserve banking where the ratio of loan assets to total assets should not exceed 50%.

2. Have a free market for interest rates including short-term rates.

3. Use the taxation system to put more money into circulation or to take it out as required.

http://www.economicsreform.blogspot.com/