House Price Crash Forum

Salt Lake City Firm Takes Over Uk Nuclear Sites

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Salt Lake City firm takes over UK nuclear sites

http://money.guardian.co.uk/businessnews/s...2097946,00.html

Terry Macalister

Thursday June 7, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

An American company with no experience as a nuclear power generator has been chosen by the government to take over several Magnox atomic plants from BNFL.

The sale of the management contracts for the plants to EnergySolutions coincides with soaring wages in the nuclear industry with workers at BNFL's Sellafield plant being offered a 4.85% pay increase — more than double the 1.9% the Treasury is trying to impose on other civil servants.

From the same article:

EnergySolutions, based in Salt Lake City, Utah, is a leader in the field of nuclear decommissioning and has worked for the US government at sensitive nuclear military sites such as Los Alamos but admits that it has not had sole responsibility for sites that generate atomic energy.

The main role of EnergySolutions will be to decommission the vast bulk of the nuclear plants coming under its control. But the contracts to run the different sites for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority will be put out to tender when they come up for renewal in the next couple of years.

Seems like a fuss over very little to be honest..

From their own website:

EnergySolutions specializes in nuclear services, including high consequence nuclear operations, such as high level waste management, spent fuel handling and transportation; complex D&D projects of nuclear reactors and highly radioactive nuclear facilities; high-end technical challenges such as fuel sludge treatment and high level waste treatment; and major decommissioning of both government and commercial nuclear facilities.

For the commercial market, we package, transport, process, store, and dispose of radioactive materials for nuclear utilities, universities, laboratories and radiopharmaceutical and industrial facilities, and provide decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) services.

For our government clients, we support clean-up efforts at U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) sites around the country, as well as state and local government projects.

Internationally, we have supported clean-up projects in Asia and the Middle East, and have provided our services and equipment to Canada and Mexico.

http://www.energysolutions.com/about_us.php

From the same article:

EnergySolutions, based in Salt Lake City, Utah, is a leader in the field of nuclear decommissioning and has worked for the US government at sensitive nuclear military sites such as Los Alamos but admits that it has not had sole responsibility for sites that generate atomic energy.

The main role of EnergySolutions will be to decommission the vast bulk of the nuclear plants coming under its control. But the contracts to run the different sites for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority will be put out to tender when they come up for renewal in the next couple of years.

From their own website:

EnergySolutions specializes in nuclear services, including high consequence nuclear operations, such as high level waste management, spent fuel handling and transportation; complex D&D projects of nuclear reactors and highly radioactive nuclear facilities; high-end technical challenges such as fuel sludge treatment and high level waste treatment; and major decommissioning of both government and commercial nuclear facilities.

For the commercial market, we package, transport, process, store, and dispose of radioactive materials for nuclear utilities, universities, laboratories and radiopharmaceutical and industrial facilities, and provide decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) services.

For our government clients, we support clean-up efforts at U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) sites around the country, as well as state and local government projects.

Internationally, we have supported clean-up projects in Asia and the Middle East, and have provided our services and equipment to Canada and Mexico.

http://www.energysolutions.com/about_us.php

Two words spring to mind:

Hander, Back

From the same article:

My mistake, didn't read far enough........ Still the HORRFIC pay rises of <5% seemed to be a major issue - now how are a private concern going to get round that without compromises somehwere down the line? I still don't think its a good idea, dealing with this stuff when it is in your own back yard sharpens the stick somewhat if things go wrong.

My mistake, didn't read far enough........ Still the HORRFIC pay rises of <5% seemed to be a major issue - now how are a private concern going to get round that without compromises somehwere down the line? I still don't think its a good idea, dealing with this stuff when it is in your own back yard sharpens the stick somewhat if things go wrong.

Yeah not the smartest move. Still, in terms of wages, those skills are very much in demand and it is likely to incease world-wide. I think it is fair to say that many of the skilled nuclear operators and designers could get pretty good money in many different countries.

The selling of Westinghouse was a far more stupid move!!

if you think thats bizarre check out the UK company SERCO PLC.

They started in the 60s as a defence contractor and moved into security and now run 6 prisons in the UK.

They ran prisons so well that they thought they would move into Education and now run dozens of schools all over the UK.

They have recently won the contract to tun all the govts proposed new child daycare centres.

So they will be running prisons , schools and creches all at the same !!!

Edited by kenclarkesshoes
if you think thats bizarre check out the UK company SERCO PLC.

They started in the 60s as a defence contractor and moved into security and now run 6 prisons in the UK.

They ran prisons so well that they thought they would move into Education and now run dozens of schools all over the UK.

They have recently won the contract to tun all the govts proposed new child daycare centres.

So they will be running prisons , schools and creches all at the same !!!

They also run the Docklands Light Railway, and in my view do a pretty good job of it.

Serco have built a very large market niche running things that other people are very bad at running, and mostly doing it well. The managerial, logistical, etc, problems of running a prison or a creche actually have a lot in common. I don't believe they actually allow the prisoners to mix with the children as a rule. Nobody thinks it odd that governments look after prisons and schools, though most people think that governments do both pretty badly.

They also run the Docklands Light Railway, and in my view do a pretty good job of it.

Serco have built a very large market niche running things that other people are very bad at running, and mostly doing it well. The managerial, logistical, etc, problems of running a prison or a creche actually have a lot in common. I don't believe they actually allow the prisoners to mix with the children as a rule. Nobody thinks it odd that governments look after prisons and schools, though most people think that governments do both pretty badly.

They are a bunch of cnts and are directly responsible for the death of a youth in their care due to their heavy handed tactics.

Edited by kenclarkesshoes
??????????????????

over my head.

Sorry - NBC= Nuclear, Biological and Chemical protection suits. I foresee a UK Chernobyl if these US jokers take over, so would you like to get short-term anti-fallout protection before the balloon goes up? ;)