House Price Crash Forum
iamnumerate

Do People Know What Bear And Bull Means ?

A lot of bears here seem to think that bear means someone who wants prices to fall. It does not it means someone who thinks they will !

I think prices will rise by more than inflation but I don't want it to happen.

A lot of bears here seem to think that bear means someone who wants prices to fall. It does not it means someone who thinks they will !

Bulls or bears who put their money where their mouths are want the market to rise/fall as well!

Though by that definition I'm not a true bear because I haven't STR'd: my house is for living in. I do think prices will fall though and I certainly wouldn't enter the market at the moment.

em

I think many will call themselves bears because they would like to see prices fall, although, I believe, technically you are correct and being "bullish" or "bearish" is purely concerned with maximizing profit in any given trading market. The problem is that housing inflation is an immotive issue because it involves many peoples lives and is the cause of much suffering, so you will find many who would like to see prices fall even if they personally would lose out financially.

Bears are intelligent, witty and good looking. Bulls are slow witted, humourless and ugly.

Oh. I thought it meant someone who likes to swipe pic-a-nic baskets. Now where's Ranger Smith?!

;)

em

I think many will call themselves bears because they would like to see prices fall, although, I believe, technically you are correct and being "bullish" or "bearish" is purely concerned with maximizing profit in any given trading market. The problem is that housing inflation is an immotive issue because it involves many peoples lives and is the cause of much suffering, so you will find many who would like to see prices fall even if they personally would lose out financially.

I agree with you that house price inflation has harmed many but if you are a bear you should not be anti BTL as they will lose many.

Perhaps we should have another category "priced out" as well as bear/bull.

Yes, which is why I put neither.

I would like prices to fall, but don't expect a crash anytime soon. That means I am either a bear/bull depending on definition.

Also, I suppose, to be a bear on this site, you seem to need to be anti-immigrant, a labour hater, a firm believer that things have never been worse, and, that we are all slaves in a massive global conspiracy.. :rolleyes:

Edited by HOwner

I picked bull cos I'm hung like a bull. Does it mean something else????

I agree with you that house price inflation has harmed many but if you are a bear you should not be anti BTL as they will lose many.

Perhaps we should have another category "priced out" as well as bear/bull.

Categories

1)Hopeful Bear but concerned there wont be a correction soon but unsure of medium term as trend will be dependant on a few vital key factors and various political interferances and decisions (this is the cut down version)

2)Bear

3)Bull

im in category 1 :lol:

Yes, which is why I put neither.

I would like prices to fall, but don't expect a crash anytime soon. That means I am either a bear/bull depending on definition.

Also, I suppose, to be a bear on this site, you seem to need to be anti-immigrant, a labour hater, a firm believer that things have never been worse, and, that we are all slaves in a massive global conspiracy.. :rolleyes:

Surely believing that house prices will fall means that think immigration will not affect them and therefore are not anti immigrant.

Regarding hating Labour - they told us lies to go to war how can you not hate them ?

Surely believing that house prices will fall means that think immigration will not affect them and therefore are not anti immigrant.

Ah, you are applying logic to it, that is irrelevent in a large number of the posts!!

Regarding hating Labour - they told us lies to go to war how can you not hate them ?

Good point. I don't like them, but I don't hate them either. Yes, they have done a lot wrong (Iraq and pensions especially), but they have actually made progress in some areas.. Of course, that is not to say that the tories wouldn't have made MORE progress, but we will never know, and that is a tangent anyway! Plus I have no doubt that whichever party was in power would have got suckered into Iraq anyway..

Edited by HOwner

I dont think they did lie; I think they really believed Iraq had WMD and that a tyrant showing signs of mental instability was about to have control of them.

It would not have happened if Saddam Hussein had let the inspectors do thier job without playing a game with them.

It is a desaster and the cause of the desaster has swung on the end of a rope, tough.

Edited by deano

Do People Know What Bear And Bull Means ?

Sure they do but I'll help those who don't.

Bears: Priced out, whinging, bunch of poor souls who have missed the boat as it is different this time

Bulls: Smart, Intelligent, professional property investors whose successful career & superior quality is envied by bears.

Gotcha!

:lol:

I dont think they did lie; I think they really believed Iraq had WMD and that a tyrant showing signs of mental instability was about to have control of them.

It would not have happened if Saddam Hussein had let the inspectors do thier job without playing a game with them.

It is a desaster and the cause of the desaster has swung on the end of a rope, tough.

So the next nation for the UK to invade starts with a U has a S and ends with an .......? Please pick a vowel.

Operation Iraqi Liberation

yeah I agree that many seem to think that its about what you want to happen rather than whatyou feel will happen.

I suppose people may even have different views in the short/long term. I dont want prices to go up and up, but think they will for now. So far I have always been right ;)! I think things will slow down but I wont believe in a crash until I see it, and more importantly not until I can get that large dream house that apparently we all have a magic right to because apparently that's normal and how it was in the old days...

Im not a big fan of labels tbh.

Categories

1)Hopeful Bear but concerned there wont be a correction soon but unsure of medium term as trend will be dependant on a few vital key factors and various political interferances and decisions (this is the cut down version)

2)Bear

3)Bull

im in category 1 :lol:

My neither-ness is also due to 'category 1' beliefs. And also the fact that I wasn't sure what was understood by Bull vs. Bear on this website when I registered the account. I wasn't sure if it was an indicator of what you thought was going to happen or wanted to happen. And now I can't figure out how to change it...! :huh:

Can the government stop a HPC? I don't think are bigger than the 'forces of economics' but I have very little faith in them not to do something bloody stupid. Like, I dunno, make houses completely tax exempt 100% MIRAS or something like that. Stupidity needn't cost a penny either, some sort of further weakening of tenant's rights that would make BTL more attractive again could be done. Pushing Shared Ownership is a milder actual example. I also lack faith in people to ever say enough is enough as they happily trumpet their x15 shared ownership mortgage buying 5% of a shed with 100k of MEW from their parents as their deposit. I just don't know, my comfort level with all this was breached years ago, I have no idea what those still playing the game think they are doing so I can't figure out where the limits lie for them.

I see myself as a Bear because of the financial position I hold,300K in cash and zilch in property.I would also naturally like to see a correction,though as far as 2007 goes I have maintained a Bullish outlook for property from the outset because of the behaviour of the MPC.Medium term I have a Bearish outlook because I see a correction,possibly as early as 2008.

I am confused ,though,by all this switching of sides;recently I note Cletus Van Damme has turned Bear(though he's always been a sensible poster) where as his former adversary PG is a Neither.

Edited by crashmonitor

So the next nation for the UK to invade starts with a U has a S and ends with an .......? Please pick a vowel.

Operation Iraqi Liberation

If you are refering to George Bush, he has no previous record of using chemical weapons on, lets say the people of Wyoming.