House Price Crash Forum

How Often Does Your Landlord/agent Come Round?

HOLA441

People I know who rent in France and Germany don't get inspections by their landlord/agent from one year to the next. Over here, the landlord's agent turns up every 3 months for an inspection. I find this intrusion into my private life unwelcome and suspect they do it to justify high fees to the owner. It strikes me as a pretty pointless exercise anyway since a bad tenant only needs a couple of hours to spoil a propety.

I would be interested to know what the experience of others is like.

HOLA442
People I know who rent in France and Germany don't get inspections by their landlord/agent from one year to the next. Over here, the landlord's agent turns up every 3 months for an inspection. I find this intrusion into my private life unwelcome and suspect they do it to justify high fees to the owner. It strikes me as a pretty pointless exercise anyway since a bad tenant only needs a couple of hours to spoil a propety.

I have not seen or heard from my landlord for over 18 months, I am starting to get worried! :(

HOLA443

Mines a varying one...

According to the contract, the agency should do a check every three months. For the first 18 months they did absolutely sod all, then suddenly they did 2 inspections in a row...now it seems to have gone quiet again.

On the one hand I'm happy they're not bothering me, on the other hand, well...they're absolutely bloody useless.

HOLA444

well they do have a right to check that their property is not being smashed to bits. I think you'll find most landlords would leave you well alone if they can see you are treating the property well, so what are you doing that makes them so nervous?!

if you are bothered by frequent inspections, I find the best thing to do is give them a list of jobs they need to do, eg things that need fixing, painting, etc (make sure it is their responsibility to do it) and then you won't hear from them again!

HOLA445

Personally I live undisturbed. I also live safe without petty restrictions on decor, pets and smoking.

I think it is one of the many perks of owner-occupation. That and being safe in the knowledge that I won't be turfed out on a stranger's whim :)

HOLA446
well they do have a right to check that their property is not being smashed to bits. I think you'll find most landlords would leave you well alone if they can see you are treating the property well, so what are you doing that makes them so nervous?!

if you are bothered by frequent inspections, I find the best thing to do is give them a list of jobs they need to do, eg things that need fixing, painting, etc (make sure it is their responsibility to do it) and then you won't hear from them again!

Interesting! In answer to your second point, we have always been model tenants. We have been renting from the same agent for nearly 3 years without a hint of complaint. They even send us a patronising letters telling us how pleased they are with the way we are looking after the property. Even so, they turn every 3 months to pester us.

HOLA447
Interesting! In answer to your second point, we have always been model tenants. We have been renting from the same agent for nearly 3 years without a hint of complaint. They even send us a patronising letters telling us how pleased they are with the way we are looking after the property. Even so, they turn every 3 months to pester us.

maybe its different with agents, i've always had the landlords doing inspections, I suppose the agents are getting paid to do the inspection

HOLA448

We see our landlord quite frequently, and he comes round quite often. But it's not to inspect - he came and dealt with a drains problem recently, and then came back to deal with the contractor the next day, then he visited to get feedback from me on an essay he had written (honest). Last time we saw him we took our kids to his place to play with his kids. In fact, he says things like 'don't worry about tidying up'. But it's a slightly odd situation, because the children all go to the same after school club and we've become quite friendly (and his place isn't any tidier than ours). Last time we rented in the UK, we had to go through the 3 monthly inspections. I thought it was a bit excessive.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Personally I live undisturbed. I also live safe without petty restrictions on decor, pets and smoking.

I think it is one of the many perks of owner-occupation. That and being safe in the knowledge that I won't be turfed out on a stranger's whim :)

... and if you'd bought recently, you'd have paid richly for that right.

HOLA4412

Every 3 months, normally let them gain access themselves but once i was there and he took 5 minutes at most. What gets me is i pointed out some problems but they never got sorted (as usual).

I also think they are justifying their fees.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I have not seen or heard from my landlord for over 18 months, I am starting to get worried! :(

stop paying the rent, bet you hear from him pretty quick ;)!

... and if you'd bought recently, you'd have paid richly for that right.

That very much depends where and what he bought. Even I managed to buy a nice semi at a reasonable price in my desired area and im, sadly, not rich :(.

HOLA4417

I've had landlords where they left the country when we complained about the leaky roof.

I had another one who came round when I rang about repairs that needed doing but only to tell me the damp in the kitchen was from the kettle not the drainpipe leaking onto the wall.

HOLA4418

Ha ha. I do that, infact I want him to come round so I can ask him about getting garden furniture!

Edit: To be honest, our landlord is very reasonable.

Edited by Jason

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It's in my agreement that the letting agents inspect every 3 months, but I have seen them in 18 months. They're also very good at sending out new contracts when the old one expires but not very good at checking that I send them back. My AST expired in January 2006 and I haven't signed another one, so if they want me to renew now then my deposit will have to go into the protection scheme.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

We've been here for over 2 yrs - started off with 3 monthly inspections, then decreased as we proved we weren't wrecking the joint!

Now the agents have sent a letter round saying they'll be doing regular 3 monthly inspections, which would be fine, if they ever did anything about the issues I point out to them...

Our dealings with the LL have all been good experiences, it's just the agents, and I don't trust the scrutty little oik that comes round to inspect to be in my house on his own, so that's 4 days a yr wasted on waiting in for him to show :(

Although it sounds like I have it pretty good in comparison to KenClarkesShoes and GCS15!!

HOLA4423
Guest Shedfish

almost never. he only comes round if there's something to sort. i have to say he's rather good.. but he does always bring his associate with him, which is a little intimidating

HOLA4424

The letting agent comes round every 3 months, regular as clockwork.

Although, come to think of it, they did miss the last inspection as they had lent their keys to a plumber weeks ago but have no contact details for said plumber in order to get keys back. They then posted a letter on the friday wanting me to be in on the following wednesday so they could do the inspection (and yes it was a bank holiday in between). Mean while there is some plumber out there with keys to my house :angry:

HOLA4425
The letting agent comes round every 3 months, regular as clockwork.

Although, come to think of it, they did miss the last inspection as they had lent their keys to a plumber weeks ago but have no contact details for said plumber in order to get keys back. They then posted a letter on the friday wanting me to be in on the following wednesday so they could do the inspection (and yes it was a bank holiday in between). Mean while there is some plumber out there with keys to my house :angry:

That probably voids your contents insurance. I'd get a lock changed until you know its safe.

In fact I don't think there's any reason why they have to have keys. If you can't be there then they should work round you or let you decide who to give keys to.