House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Halifax May +0.3% Mom, +10.6% Yoy

They are clearly trying to influence the BoE. Hopefully it won't work. Sadly, I think it will, although the MPC officially ignore house prices.

ETA:A rise of £148 on £196,745 in April. I reckon that's an annualised 0.9%, although one month is simply too little to go on. Still, I thought May was coming up to the high season.

Edited again to add: 0.3%MoM??? WTF? £148 on £196,745? That must be the seasonally adjusted index, rather than the actual prices!!

Edited by Mr. Gruff

I just wish their rolling stats would make mathematical sense.May last year was plus 0.2 ,May this year is plus 0.3.Rolling annual up surely,no down from 10.9 to 10.6 :unsure: It will be interesting to see if they can contrive a fall next month in the YOY rolling figure when the June 2006 minus 1.2 drops out.Unless of course we get a similar drop this June.

Is somebody just making these annual stats up and hoping no one will notice.

Edit:I note in Jason's May report the May 2006 figure has been downgraded to plus 0.1 ,in Gruff's(April 2007) link it was plus 0.2,even more reason why the rolling should have gone up.And why are they fiddling with 12 month old data anyway,do they know what they are doing at all.

Edited by crashmonitor

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/includes/10...ndexApr2007.pdf

Look at the April figure, and compare it to the new release!!!

Halifax fiddling with figures!!

ETA: And May 2006 figures in the April release comared to the new one!!!

Woah... I didn't spot that.

Halifax seasonally adjust their data, and as May is a booming month they reduce the headline figure (they also up the headline figure during slow months, e.g. Nov etc). So, it looks like they have readjusted Aprils figure to make the May figure monthly positive.

They have adjusted Aprils 07 figure from by £358

They have adjusted Mays 06 figure by £549 (link)

Ok, only small adjustments - but shows how the data is manipulated to boost the monthly and yearly reported data.

Edit: As the Yearly HPI data is the last 3months compared to the same 3months a year before... so there is more room to fiddle the figures as per my example above. They are spinners, and shouldn't adjust old data.

Edited by Jason

Halifax? Ha! They're just sore cos they had to give me £1500 bank charges back :)

Nice one!

If they hadn't have adjusted April's figure, monthly HPI would be 0%.

Nice one!

Jason, are they simply meddling or re-adjusting to take into account seasonal variatons? Could they be accused of retrospectively making the data 'fit their message' or could they legit. claim it's still accurate? <_<

Nice one!

Yes very pleased with getting my money back. Was very easy, I just lodged a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman and they rolled over and paid up. Didn't even need to go to court. I strongly urge everyone who has had their money stolen from them by their banks to get it back, you know it makes sense. Cue patprimer's moral indignation... ;)

Yes, nasty bit of fiddling by the Halifax figures-wise... but what do you expect from an arch MONEYLENDER?*

*© Eric Pebble