House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alfaboy

Landlord Put Flat Up For Sale

I am after some advice. I am renting a 2 Bed flat. I am on a 6 month contract which finishes 3rd July. The Landlord throught the letting agent said that they were happy to extend the lease on a Month by Month basis as long as I like. However a look on Rightmove has revealed that the flat has been put up for sale. The agent asked to come and make a valuation for insurance purposes but took it upon themselves to take pictures of the flat and my possesions! Now what I would like to know is:

1) Do I have the right to refuse people coming round to view the property?

2) Should I move out at the end of the month (an option I am willing to do) so to avoid this inconvenience?

3) How should I approach the agent about taking pictures without my permission.

Any advice appreciated...

I am after some advice. I am renting a 2 Bed flat. I am on a 6 month contract which finishes 3rd July. The Landlord throught the letting agent said that they were happy to extend the lease on a Month by Month basis as long as I like. However a look on Rightmove has revealed that the flat has been put up for sale. The agent asked to come and make a valuation for insurance purposes but took it upon themselves to take pictures of the flat and my possesions! Now what I would like to know is:

2) Should I move out at the end of the month (an option I am willing to do) so to avoid this inconvenience?

Don`t let anyone in if you don`t feel like it - same goes for photos. ;)

I am not a lawyer but ... my understanding is that you do not have to let anyone else but your LL or his agents come in to the property unless it states that you have to allow viewings under your contract withing a certain specified (say 2 months) before the end of your tenancy.

You always have the right to quiet enjoyment and the LL has the right to give you notice and to sell his/her property.

I am not a lawyer but ... my understanding is that you do not have to let anyone else but your LL or his agents come in to the property unless it states that you have to allow viewings under your contract withing a certain specified (say 2 months) before the end of your tenancy.

Yep, check your tenancy agreement. If you're going to let people in to view, make sure the landlord/agent know this has to be on your terms, not theirs. Don't feel that you have to change your plans (i.e. stay in/be out at certain times) to suit the LL.

In practice, though, I'd probably look for somewhere else. Sounds like the landlord wants out. You may as well stick to your 3rd July date and be able to plan your departure properly rather than spend the next few months anxiously wondering whether your home has been sold or not.

Out of interest, whereabouts in the country are you living, when did the landlord buy the place, and what is the rental yield like?

Thank you all. I will check the agreement.

The flat is in Essex 2 bed not in a great location (on a high st by a Kebab shop!) I rent at £650pcm and it is on a £168K.

I am tempted to move out as it is very noisy. It was only going to be for a few month as I was buying a house that fell through. I am now tempted to rent for another 6 months to see what happens to the market.

Thank you all. I will check the agreement.

The flat is in Essex 2 bed not in a great location (on a high st by a Kebab shop!) I rent at £650pcm and it is on a £168K.

I am tempted to move out as it is very noisy. It was only going to be for a few month as I was buying a house that fell through. I am now tempted to rent for another 6 months to see what happens to the market.

More advice from a landlord. No doubt you would be happy to co-operate with ther sale and remain in place as a tenant for as long as it takes them to sell the place (either to Exchange of Contracts or Completion - your choice) in return for the reimbursement of the last 3 months rent (obviously confirmed in writing with solicitors). This is a win-win situation as the landlord then has certainty of income to cover the mortgage if the sale takes longer than expected to go through, and you walk away with with nearly £2k in your back pocket for the minor hassle of entertaining a few viewings and moving out at the landlord's convenience.

That's what I would do if I was the landlord selling.

Actually, when we have sold in the past the tenant stayed after completion as the purchaser was a landlord himself.

interested in the advice about getting 3 months rent back from the landlord for continuing to stay on throughout the sale. I frikkin wish we could do that,

check out our situation...

We asked if we could leave our lease early (about 4 months early of 12 month contract) and the landlord basically said "no" and that he has now decided to sell the flat and IF he sells it quicker than the 4 months, then we can move out then, but if he does not sell it, we have to pay until the end of the contract. That for us is a really poor situation because we need to move out!!

We thought he would be reasonable and say that he is not happy, but if we meet him half way with the agency costs or something, he would re-let it and we would stay until the new tenant came in. But in our view, the situation now, where he expects us to stay for a period of between 1 and 4 months, until he can sell it strikes me as being a pretty good deal for him!! Guaranteed income between now and a sale.

Fair play, we are trrying to get out of a 12 month lease early, but my argument to him will be that he has breached the tenancy with this selling of the flat!! This is interrupting our "quiet enjoyment" of the place and more importantly, means we can technically could be kicked out before the end of the lease.

What do you guys think?

1) say we will continue to pay rent until he sells it (but we want £2k back in rent if we do when he sells it)

2) say, he has breached the contract, not us (we only asked if we could move out, he has now set wheels in motion to kick us out in a way)

3) be obstructive to the sale (cutting nose off to spite face, a poor option)

any other ideas?

thanks for any time you can give this!

interested in the advice about getting 3 months rent back from the landlord for continuing to stay on throughout the sale. I frikkin wish we could do that,

check out our situation...

We asked if we could leave our lease early (about 4 months early of 12 month contract) and the landlord basically said "no" and that he has now decided to sell the flat and IF he sells it quicker than the 4 months, then we can move out then, but if he does not sell it, we have to pay until the end of the contract. That for us is a really poor situation because we need to move out!!

We thought he would be reasonable and say that he is not happy, but if we meet him half way with the agency costs or something, he would re-let it and we would stay until the new tenant came in. But in our view, the situation now, where he expects us to stay for a period of between 1 and 4 months, until he can sell it strikes me as being a pretty good deal for him!! Guaranteed income between now and a sale.

Fair play, we are trrying to get out of a 12 month lease early, but my argument to him will be that he has breached the tenancy with this selling of the flat!! This is interrupting our "quiet enjoyment" of the place and more importantly, means we can technically could be kicked out before the end of the lease.

What do you guys think?

1) say we will continue to pay rent until he sells it (but we want £2k back in rent if we do when he sells it)

2) say, he has breached the contract, not us (we only asked if we could move out, he has now set wheels in motion to kick us out in a way)

3) be obstructive to the sale (cutting nose off to spite face, a poor option)

any other ideas?

thanks for any time you can give this!

Easy one. If the LL wants people to have access to the flat in order to conduct viewings for selling it, then he has to let you leave early. Get this in wriiting off him. If not then you will be left with no alternative but to exercise your right to quite enjoyment, change the locks and not allow any access for viewings etc. Seems to me the LL wants his cake and eat it!. Make it clear its either/or (not in writing) but make sure you get his response in writing and withold that last months rent for your bond if its not in TDS.

Edited by Planner

Easy one. If the LL wants people to have access to the flat in order to conduct viewings for selling it, then he has to let you leave early. Get this in wriiting off him. If not then you will be left with no alternative but to exercise your right to quite enjoyment, change the locks and not allow any access for viewings etc. Seems to me the LL wants his cake and eat it!. Make it clear its either/or (not in writing) but make sure you get his response in writing and withold that last months rent for your bond if its not in TDS.

Thanks for the advice. I think what you are saying is a fairly pragmatic approach, but I don't want to get confrontational. I think he does want his cake and eat it.

I think we might just gather evidence of him selling it and us being messed around with viewings day and night etc (not for tenant viewings either) and then say to him that this has hugely messed us around and upset our "quiet enjoyment" however, does he HAVE to let us leave early if he sells it? what if he claims he is selling the place AND our contract to live in it comes as part of the package so we will see no disruption?

IF a landlord puts his flat up for sale, does this invalidate the tenancy agreement or does this only take effect if the new owner breaks the original contract (by, for example, asking us to move out with 1 weeks notice?)