House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

patprimer74

Hpc Likely To Lose A Friend In Parliament

This forum seems likely to lose one of its best friends in the House of Commons.

Anthony Steen, Tory MP for Totnes who spoke in favour of the provision of affordable housing in his part of Devon, looks likely to lose his seat for acting like 'an oaf' (BBC's words - BBC Politics ). Having being caught red-handed parking his Jag in a Disabled Parking bay at the local station, he then added to his sins by idiotically claiming that there were too many such spaces and that able-bodied people should be given them.

Just 6 months ago, Steen spoke eloquently for the provision of subsidised housing in Devon to make up for the effects of second-home ownership. Affordable Housing debate

Seems a pity that his selfish and 'oafish' behaviour should result in such a storm of criticism that'll probably result in his losing his seat soon.

p

This forum seems likely to lose one of its best friends in the House of Commons.

Anthony Steen, Tory MP for Totnes who spoke in favour of the provision of affordable housing in his part of Devon, looks likely to lose his seat for acting like 'an oaf' (BBC's words - BBC Politics ). Having being caught red-handed parking his Jag in a Disabled Parking bay at the local station, he then added to his sins by idiotically claiming that there were too many such spaces and that able-bodied people should be given them.

Just 6 months ago, Steen spoke eloquently for the provision of subsidised housing in Devon to make up for the effects of second-home ownership. Affordable Housing debate

Seems a pity that his selfish and 'oafish' behaviour should result in such a storm of criticism that'll probably result in his losing his seat soon.

p

I agree with a tory :o

He's right, though: the number of 'cripple spaces' (as a politically incorrect American friend of mine labels them) has increased out of all proportion to blue badge holders. At my local Tesco there are 20-30 of them, all but one or two of which are always empty. No doubt Tesco will point to this provision (along with all those 'mother and child' spaces, which I guess prove that fathers don't count) as evidence of them being an ethically responsible business, etc. etc. If I understand the rationale correctly, the reason for disabled spaces is to minimise the walking distance between car parking space and final destination, not provide a god-given right for a prime parking space 24/7. If an able-bodied driver can't find a space, (s)he might have to drive round the block once or twice waiting for one to become free. If the idea of blue badges is to put the disabled on a level playing field with the able bodied, why can't the same apply to them?

That's funny as my house mate was saying how a crowded car park had a load of disabled parking spaces that were never used. Parking lot was for a gym, guess that might have something to do with it. Most badge holders seem to be suffering effort disablement rather than any real impairment.

Tory MP: "There are a disproportionately large number of disabled parking spaces"

Detractor: "You pompous oaf!"

Sorry must do better. Like oooh how about coming up with some research showing how heavily utilised these places are?? Only mediocre-ites hiding in the thick fur of local authorities, and associated minority interest groups, think ad hominem attacks are some form of intellectual rebuff..

p

Buy that man a drink, he gets my vote, at work we have a shortage of parking spaces but 8 are allocated for wheelchairs, a real shame we haven't any disabled folk working for us, apart from the incompetent directors, political correctness pi$$es me off. I do tend to use the pushchair park bays at the supermarket, they are wider and coupe doors aren’t easy to open.

On the other side of the argument, my Mum had a hip replaced a couple of years back. She was in agony for months before and afterwards. There were times it was impossible for her to do shopping because thoughtless, perfectly able-bodied people had taken up the disabled parking spaces.

A car park near my home has around 60 spaces. The council then decided to add disabled spaces and took one complete row out of the four rows available. By this reasoning the council must think that 25% of the population is disabled.

That's funny as my house mate was saying how a crowded car park had a load of disabled parking spaces that were never used. Parking lot was for a gym, guess that might have something to do with it. Most badge holders seem to be suffering effort disablement rather than any real impairment.

My local gym has twenty or so disabled spaces which are rarely used. Once I arrived and every "normal" space in the car park was full, but all of the disabled ones were empty so I parked in one, but thought it polite to mention it to the Gym's receptionist as I checked in. She told me I was not allowed to leave it there. I couldn't understand why, because if 19 disabled people in cars had arrived while I was in the gym, there would STILL have been enough spaces left for them all - but this was apparently still not enough. So I got back in my car and went home again.

A car park near my home has around 60 spaces. The council then decided to add disabled spaces and took one complete row out of the four rows available. By this reasoning the council must think that 25% of the population is disabled.

They probably derived this figure from totting up the number of people claiming incapacity benefit under Nu-Labour.

It's also worth noting that my brother who had a severe stroke aged 11, and is permanently disabled down his left side, is not entitled to a blue badge because when he filled out the questionnaire asking whether he can walk x amount of distance unaided, his truthful answer is "yes", even if his level of walking is not great.

On the other hand, an amputee with one of those mechanical leg thingies, is automatically entitled to a blue badge because they cannot walk unaided - even though they run the London bloody marathon every year!!!

It's also worth noting that my brother who had a severe stroke aged 11, and is permanently disabled down his left side, is not entitled to a blue badge because when he filled out the questionnaire asking whether he can walk x amount of distance unaided, his truthful answer is "yes", even if his level of walking is not great.

If he'd been a Tory MP, leaving his Jaguar while going off to Westminster for a week, he'd consider himself qualified! Incredible!

p

The point is most towns now, even modestly-sized provincial ones, have turned into traffic-trodden hell holes.

It's only freaking food shopping. Why bother going to a megamart anyway just slump around oversized aisles with a load of utterly morose consumer zombies buy loads of processed landfill-in-waiting and food that gets tossed away because it went off before you had a chance to eat it after 'bulking up'. Use street markets, local shops, box schemes or if you have to use megamarts just shop online and leave the mean machine at home.

p

A friend of mine was telling me about how difficult it is to park at her local sports centre. On a few occasions she has had to leave her car outside the main entrance on double yellows while going into main reception to cancel her booking because all the able bodied parking spaces are taken. What irritates her most are the 25 disabled parking spaces which are never used.

If he'd been a Tory MP, leaving his Jaguar while going off to Westminster for a week, he'd consider himself qualified! Incredible!

p

If he'd been a Labour MP he would have left too Jags.

My local gym has twenty or so disabled spaces which are rarely used. Once I arrived and every "normal" space in the car park was full, but all of the disabled ones were empty so I parked in one, but thought it polite to mention it to the Gym's receptionist as I checked in. She told me I was not allowed to leave it there. I couldn't understand why, because if 19 disabled people in cars had arrived while I was in the gym, there would STILL have been enough spaces left for them all - but this was apparently still not enough. So I got back in my car and went home again.

Do wheelchair bound people use the treadmill?

I heard this chap on radio 4, he didn't use the word disabled once but ''handicapped ''about twenty times.OK,good for him to evade the vocabulary police but surely some expedience is required as a politician;it seemed obvious he was using pre-1980s vocab deliberately as he must be aware of the correct terminology.Guess he would also refer to black people as coloured .

. I do tend to use the pushchair park bays at the supermarket, they are wider and coupe doors aren’t easy to open.

Now you mate are a ****. You w*ankers that park your sports coupes and chelsea tractors in 30% of the mother and child parking bays really get my goat bad. Being a modern dad I often go to tescos for the wife with our young baby daaghter and I enrages me when serveral cars like this are in these bays with no child seats in the back. So I have to Park miles away, struggle to get the baby out without bashing my and the next car and then carry her to find a trolley with the baby seat attached.

Tescos will do nothing about it as the first time I caught someone red handed pulling up next to me I informed security and customer services and the refused to do anything about it saying that the driver will just say that all other normal spaces where taken when he arrived which is b*oll*cks.

So i'm proud to say that this guy got his car keyed buy me, and i'm not a vandal. And i'm not a coward either. Three times since while waiting in MAC space while the wife and kid where shopping I have caught 2 sports cars and 1 chelsea tractor pulling up around me and getting out as if they owned the world and swanning off. I have confronted all three, a 40's couple, a guy and a woman and told them to move as they didn't have kids. All three argued and I upped the anti to physically threatening all , even with hospitalisation if needed, with the guys getting grabbed buy the shirt, and all three backed down so shocked and scared that they got back in their flash cars and drove off in a hurry.

and any cars I now spot like this without baby seats in them get keyed or a nice trolly dent. Eventually they will get the message or pay for their arrogance.

Now you mate are a ****. You w*ankers that park your sports coupes and chelsea tractors in 30% of the mother and child parking bays really get my goat bad. Being a modern dad I often go to tescos for the wife with our young baby daaghter and I enrages me when serveral cars like this are in these bays with no child seats in the back. So I have to Park miles away, struggle to get the baby out without bashing my and the next car and then carry her to find a trolley with the baby seat attached.

Tescos will do nothing about it as the first time I caught someone red handed pulling up next to me I informed security and customer services and the refused to do anything about it saying that the driver will just say that all other normal spaces where taken when he arrived which is b*oll*cks.

So i'm proud to say that this guy got his car keyed buy me, and i'm not a vandal. And i'm not a coward either. Three times since while waiting in MAC space while the wife and kid where shopping I have caught 2 sports cars and 1 chelsea tractor pulling up around me and getting out as if they owned the world and swanning off. I have confronted all three, a 40's couple, a guy and a woman and told them to move as they didn't have kids. All three argued and I upped the anti to physically threatening all , even with hospitalisation if needed, with the guys getting grabbed buy the shirt, and all three backed down so shocked and scared that they got back in their flash cars and drove off in a hurry.

and any cars I now spot like this without baby seats in them get keyed or a nice trolly dent. Eventually they will get the message or pay for their arrogance.

F/ing HILARIOUS :lol::lol: , why don't you get a motorised shopping trolley like me and take it into the store , mine does wheelies and can turn isle corners on 2 wheels , any slow coach old dears with there push trolleys that don't get out of the way quick enough just get sent crashing into the food shelves .

If he'd been a Labour MP he would have left too Jags.

If you'd had an education, cockrobin, you could have written a sentence with meaning! :P:P

p

Every time I go to Asda and Tesco there are babyless and childless people parking in MAC spaces. I don't want to create a scene and set a bad example in front of my wife and child so I bite my lip. I want to key them or damage their tyes. But I think letting down their types will give them a warning without doing any criminal damage. If there are no spaces in the MAC zone I have to use an ordinary parking space and it it difficult to get a baby out of a car in the narrow space without the your car door hitting the next car -- my wife has dented three cars this way. The result is an innocent person gets a dent. So maybe it is better to dent or key the original offender.

Can there be anything worse than a selfrighteous violent thug? I just wish there was someone else a bit like you, except worked up about cretins who key other people's cars on the grounds that their parking is not quite up to some ideal standard. Perhaps you could fatally wound each other while fighting for the moral high ground.

I think conservative MPs have effectively become electorally disabled and therefore count as worthy of a convenient parking space. Not only do NuLabia wish to ostracise the politically obsolete, they also wish to patronise them. Bring back Thatcher, all is forgiven.

Now you mate are a ****. You w*ankers that park your sports coupes and chelsea tractors in 30% of the mother and child parking bays really get my goat bad.

So i'm proud to say that this guy got his car keyed buy me, and i'm not a vandal. And i'm not a coward either.

You don't know me so how can you jump to such hugh conclusions, there is no specific law as far as I know that stops anyone parking anywhere in a private carpark such as Tescos, Asda or wherever. If I ever bump into you on my travels engaging in an criminal act such as you have described on my private property I will be forced to return fire in equal measured, I carry a set of golf clubs and a spare cricket bat for these very occasions, scratching cars indeed, grow up pr***.