House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
It is different this time

Landlords Are Warned Of Drugs Den Tenants

Landlords are being warned to be on their guard against their properties being used as drugs dens.

Police have raided or discovered a string of properties, most of them rented, across south Essex in recent months being used as cannabis factories....

...In a bid to clamp down on the menace, police are handing out leaflets to letting agents, private landlords and councils.

"These factories pose a threat to anyone in the surrounding area due to the serious fire and safety hazards. The high volume of electricity and water required to grow these plants can be a lethal combination and the high-density sodium lamps can produce noxious gases to add to the deadly environment. Some growers have been known to cut into the main electricity supply before extending cabling which is prone to overheating."

and if you want to go in to check your property think twice!

My 2 Cents is a reminder that recently raided Cannabis factories have been booby-trapped to try and kill those entering the premises.

"Drug dealers wire up the mains electricity to the doors and windows to keep rival gangs out and to protect their cannabis plants from being seized."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.var.141...rap_warning.php

and the high-density sodium lamps can produce noxious gases to add to the deadly environment...

Thats the gayest thing l read in ages. Sodium lamps..what you mean like all street lighting? Someone better tell the council.

The rest of its just lame scaremongering. Like the fact its illegal isnt sufficient anymore. I'd rather have a grower than a bunch of screeching chavs next to me ta.

The only reason the govenment try to hit cannabis growers and dealers so much, is because it is the one thing that they cannot tax, anybody can grow the stuff.

They will probably blame the house price crash on Buy To Growers.

Edited by enrieb

The only reason the govenment try to hit cannabis growers and dealers so much, is because it is the one thing that they cannot tax, anybody can grow the stuff.

It is very difficult to grow weed without the authorities finding out: water and electricity usage are monitored (that`s how we get our bills), and any dodgy info. is passed to five-o. I suppose one approach would be to grow one crop then move to a new property (a logistical struggle).

One other option would be to find a friendly `new ager` and see if they`d give you a smallholding on their land. Everything could be run by diesel generators; the only downside is water usage, but in a countryside scenario that`d look less dodgy. ;)

The returns on good quality weed are pretty good, and strong skunk is still only £20 a Henry; I`m amazed how the price of dope hasn`t gone up with inflation!!!

"These factories pose a threat to anyone in the surrounding area due to the serious fire and safety hazards

What? It's bloody brilliant for the neighbours if they go on fire surely. :P

I`m amazed how the price of dope hasn`t gone up with inflation!!!

You'll be giving the ONS ideas, they're currently looking for a substitute for inflating Chinese toasters.

It is very difficult to grow weed without the authorities finding out: water and electricity usage are monitored (that`s how we get our bills), and any dodgy info. is passed to five-o. I suppose one approach would be to grow one crop then move to a new property (a logistical struggle).

One other option would be to find a friendly `new ager` and see if they`d give you a smallholding on their land. Everything could be run by diesel generators; the only downside is water usage, but in a countryside scenario that`d look less dodgy. ;)

The returns on good quality weed are pretty good, and strong skunk is still only £20 a Henry; I`m amazed how the price of dope hasn`t gone up with inflation!!!

The water usage isn't that high if you use a drip feed recycle system. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stoner. However, back in the early nineties I was witness to some serious grow room set-ups.

An "acquaintance" brought these sealed boxes back from Amsterdam. They looked like a brick wrapped in Duct Tape with three wires protruding. What they did was fool the electric meter with regard to the mega-Watts of lighting. He was selling them to "mates" ;) .

I can't smoke that horrible crap, it gives me the fear! If any Yoofs are reading this - Stay away from the skunk weed, it's a nasty insidious drug!

The water usage isn't that high if you use a drip feed recycle system. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a stoner. However, back in the early nineties I was witness to some serious grow room set-ups.

An "acquaintance" brought these sealed boxes back from Amsterdam. They looked like a brick wrapped in Duct Tape with three wires protruding. What they did was fool the electric meter with regard to the mega-Watts of lighting. He was selling them to "mates" ;) .

I can't smoke that horrible crap, it gives me the fear! If any Yoofs are reading this - Stay away from the skunk weed, it's a nasty insidious drug!

The fear comes from within Dom.

As Bob Marley said " The weed helps to reveal yourself to you"

Most drugs have a nasty and insidious side to them - I think weed is the least insidious of the lot ;)

Will landlords be entitled to a discount on the drugs, or will he continue to have to pay street prices?. And would this discount extend to friends and family?.

Will landlords be entitled to a discount on the drugs, or will he continue to have to pay street prices?. And would this discount extend to friends and family?.

Additionally, does the local authority provide council tax discount for being "semi-resident"?

It has in NI, the local hoodlums have been ordered to be on their best behaviour ie no dealing drugs until they get their redundancy money from the govt. So those still supplying are charging premium rate. B)

The street prices have been deflated since Blair liberalised the Marketplace by opening up the Afghanistan fields. As with so many imported goods it slants the true costs as the producers are making at less than cost.

I am not sure what they put in the Chancellors shopping basket, however apparantly the guy who collects it after Gordon has priced everything up has noticed that the Columbian that was in there, is always gone come collection time.

Most drugs have a nasty and insidious side to them - I think weed is the least insidious of the lot ;)

I have known smack addicts and stoners. One guy had been injecting for twenty years. He had to use the veins in his feet and groin as the ones in his arms were now too damaged. He was registered as disabled and the state provided him with methadone, dexies and a car! I know stoners that have done nothing with their lives since they started toking with their mates fifteen years ago. The state provides for them, their girlfriends and kids. Great example to set!

Two drugs. Two consequences of equal magnitude.

Weed may not be as physically damaging as alcohol or heroin, which I why I chose the word "insidious", but the consequences of abuse can be just as far reaching.

Could the recently announced pension surplus be spend helping Drug Addicts in the Community?.

Would this not solve a lot of crime, and help the community as a whole.

If you did grow Cannabis, would this be considered for Carbon Offsets?. Also would we be considered farmers under the EU and get a grant, and then if we stopped growing, a further grant for set aside ?.

If so, we could all grow 4sqm in our roof spaces in 22million houses, to offset the carbon emmissions on Tony Blairs World Tour.

If you did grow Cannabis, would this be considered for Carbon Offsets?. Also would we be considered farmers under the EU and get a grant

Only if they're organic and free-trade.

What is the ROC with regard to Cannabis Cultivation, anyone know.

It could be easier in future for BTL Landlords to make up the shortfalls by turning their properties over to intensive farming. I suspect that business rates would apply, however as a cash market tax liability would be minimal. It would eliminate the void periods, and so long as no furniture is used, would be council tax free.

I recently took such a business plan to my business banking manager Shrivdapamalawi Dinarwisimaba and he seemed very keen to back the scheme.