House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
papa_g

Surely Big News!

The number of County Court Judgments (CCJs) against consumer debtors has reached its highest level in almost ten years, figures show.

Nearly 250,000 CCJs were issued in England and Wales in the first three months of 2007 - up 9.5% on the same period a year ago.

UK debt judgments at 10-year-high

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but if these figures are true then this has a massive bearing on the way forward. A quick back of the beermat calculation means extrapolating this forward a massive approx. milion CCJ's are on course to be issued this year - meaning 1:60 of the population will be considered 'sub prime' which either means bear heaven or the beeb have their stats wrong again.

Wow, 1 in 60 every year! :o

To think that this is just the beginning and that they're those who still believe it a great idea to borrow to the hilt in order to speculate on the horses; err, I mean houses...

A couple of things to tidy up the projections.

CCJs cover England and Wales - not the UK - so 1 in 60 would be 1 in 54 if your projections prove correct.

Around a quarter of the population is under 18 - so in term of adults you are looking at about 1 in 40.

On the other side of the coin, CCJs aren't limited to one per person. Far from it. CCJs can also be secured against businesses and commonly are.

Even so this is a big increase. In 2004, the average was roughly 10 per thousand population across England and Wales - or 1 in 100. Almost half the figure of today.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but if these figures are true then this has a massive bearing on the way forward. A quick back of the beermat calculation means extrapolating this forward a massive approx. milion CCJ's are on course to be issued this year - meaning 1:60 of the population will be considered 'sub prime' which either means bear heaven or the beeb have their stats wrong again.

1 in 60 will become subprimes this year.

Datamonitor, the most authoritative source available, says in this report:

Datamonitor estimates that the non-standard population stood at 9.1 million in 2005

(Although, subprime is a subset of the non-standards)

At a 10 year high! hold on........New Labour have been in power for 10 years? Gordon has been running the economy for 10 years.......i think i can see a pattern.....

All together now:

Things can only get better....... <_<

But i thought that the economy was booming ? O sorry no more boom er or bust Ha Ha hA ha!!! POP

Surely it isn't so much those who have bought in the last couple of years with a high LTV that are causing the CCJ's. More it is the millions of retards who overspend on credit cards as they want designer clothing and work at McDonalds. Removing credit cards as a spending mechanism, meaning that the only way to spend money was if it was in your account would solve most of these problems.

For those who don't understand the concept of budgeting they could arrange a loan with a rate of about 7% rather than 20% on plastic and hence not spiral into so much debt. The number of adverts on tv advertising IVF's is a case in point. Stop allowing people to write off debt and they may take responsibility for it - so what if they have to live on baked beans for the next 20 years - they caused the problem.

A great quote although I cant remember who said it - "Credit is God's way of telling you you can't afford it!"

For those who don't understand the concept of budgeting they could arrange a loan with a rate of about 7% rather than 20% on plastic and hence not spiral into so much debt. The number of adverts on tv advertising IVF's is a case in point. Stop allowing people to write off debt and they may take responsibility for it - so what if they have to live on baked beans for the next 20 years - they caused the problem.

A great quote although I cant remember who said it - "Credit is God's way of telling you you can't afford it!"

Firstly if you are caught into a spiral of debt its not easy to refinance at 7%. Only very expensive

refinance options are available to the debtor. Its not always bad budgeting that causes the debt spiral. Things can go wrong suddenly - loss or job, redundancy, marriage break up, illness and of course self employment.

Firstly if you are caught into a spiral of debt its not easy to refinance at 7%. Only very expensive

refinance options are available to the debtor. Its not always bad budgeting that causes the debt spiral. Things can go wrong suddenly - loss or job, redundancy, marriage break up, illness and of course self employment.

I realise that once you are a poor creditor you may not be able to get finance at 7%. However, my argument was that the majority of this debt would not have been run up if we didn't have the culture of keeping up with the Jones', wasting money we dont have on designer clothes and holidays. Personal restraint and not applying for a credit card would solve the issue, if you dont have it you cant spend it.

I am comparitivly young on here, quite a few of my friends are at uni. Problem is they barely work if at all, overdraft and credit cards maxed and perpetually skint. The concept of saving is foreign. If everyone put £10k-£20k in the bank for emergencies when they were young and only used it if they lost their job, illness etc and had no credit cards to service, they wouldn't be in the mess they find themselves in. Should we feel sorry for the badly prepared?