House Price Crash Forum
Bobbins

Property Ladder 30/6 - North Greenwich

North Greenwich - bought for £280k. Beeny said would go for £400k, 18 months later when it was finished, even if they hadn't spent a penny on it.

43% in 18 months - now you Midlanders/Northerners etc. know what Londoners are up against.

Greedy b'stards put it on for £650k after agents said it'd go for £575k maximum.

North Greenwich - bought for £280k. Beeny said would go for £400k, 18 months later when it was finished, even if they hadn't spent a penny on it.

43% in 18 months - now you Midlanders/Northerners etc. know what Londoners are up against.

Greedy b'stards put it on for £650k after agents said it'd go for £575k maximum.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/proper...h_strood-2.html

Just caugh the end of the programme, I think they will get their full asking price in 18 years time :lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol.

Edited by Jimmy2Times

Bizarre. Look what that money buys you, even in the South East just outside London:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-132...=1&tr_t=buy

Royston is nearly an hour from kings cross and a depressing dump of a place. The squaddies from nearby Bassingbourne tear it up each weekend. Anywhere decent that would be at least £700k.

Royston is nearly an hour from kings cross

I know it's a pity it isn't further away, but you'd be safe at that distance I reckon.

How about this then:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-792...=1&tr_t=buy

or this:

Both in nice areas, I don't know Royston well.

Bizarrely enough looking just now another half million pound hovel has turned up:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-781...=1&tr_t=buy

I always thought that when people had half a million pounds they'd be looking for something a little special, not some little terrace somewhere. It's as if the value of money has been completely lost.

Royston is nearly an hour from kings cross and a depressing dump of a place. The squaddies from nearby Bassingbourne tear it up each weekend. Anywhere decent that would be at least £700k.

Quite, and 3.2 miles to the nearest station????

Now if you want space, 1/4 mile walk to the station, and a reasonable 45-minute commute to Euston, and shedloads of space, have a look at Loughton, Milton Keynes:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-552...=1&tr_t=buy

Massive: large kitchen, lounge, utility room, large study, dining room, 4 beds, 2 baths, cellar with gym, 2 recording studio rooms, and a storage room.

£550k.

Still a lot of money, but it's more reasonable than risking crime daily in North Greenwich. Same thing in Surrey would be about £850k.

I know it's a pity it isn't further away, but you'd be safe at that distance I reckon.

How about this then:

or this:

Both in nice areas, I don't know Royston well.

Bizarrely enough looking just now another half million pound hovel has turned up:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-781...=1&tr_t=buy

I always thought that when people had half a million pounds they'd be looking for something a little special, not some little terrace somewhere. It's as if the value of money has been completely lost.

Has the third property - in Wanstead (i ask you :( FFS) got a grille on the front door? Looks like it may have but the neighbour doesnt.

why would anyone want to live in the skankholes you show above when they could have the one below for

400,000 GBP

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

you english are treated like white trash and would really benefit from getting out of the poisoned isle.

;-)

quite agree.

Another example:

http://www.theglobalrealestateteam.com/Lis...&Cc=1089993

Yes, that pool is private, and a part of the house, with a stone waterfall.

Yes, there are 3.5 bathrooms, 3,300 square feet, plus 1200 sqft for the indoor pool, 4 bedrooms, an office, half an acre of land

Yes, there is "Gourmet kitchen, granite countertops, maple cabinets and much more"

Yes, you do have "Fish right outside you back door"

with a "27 acre spring fed lake"

And no, it's not as expensive as that dump in the cesspit of North Greenwich, and no, it's not in the middle of nowhere, and yes, I'm sure the schools are much better than in the UK.

True story: I was walking through Kings Cross the other day and laughing at the prices of nasty flats in the estate agent window. Some random man says "I bought my council flat for £25000, it's now worth £375,000". Alarming fact: he hasn't sold it and emigrated.

quite agree.

Another example:

http://www.theglobalrealestateteam.com/Lis...&Cc=1089993

Yes, that pool is private, and a part of the house, with a stone waterfall.

Yes, there are 3.5 bathrooms, 3,300 square feet, plus 1200 sqft for the indoor pool, 4 bedrooms, an office, half an acre of land

Yes, there is "Gourmet kitchen, granite countertops, maple cabinets and much more"

Yes, you do have "Fish right outside you back door"

with a "27 acre spring fed lake"

And no, it's not as expensive as that dump in the cesspit of North Greenwich, and no, it's not in the middle of nowhere, and yes, I'm sure the schools are much better than in the UK.

True story: I was walking through Kings Cross the other day and laughing at the prices of nasty flats in the estate agent window. Some random man says "I bought my council flat for £25000, it's now worth £375,000". Alarming fact: he hasn't sold it and emigrated.

What you get:

GORGEOUS 4 BDRM + OFFICE, 3.5 BA HOME LOCATED ON A PRIVATE 1/2 AC LOT. FABULOUSLY DESIGNED FROM ITS GRAND ENTRANCE TO ITS INVITING POOL W/ STONE WATERFALL. WELL APPOINTED MSTR BATH W/ GARDEN TUB, GOURMET KITCHEN W/ UPGRADED CABINETS AND CORIAN

Property Type: Residential

Property Class: Single Family

Price: $849,900

Price Per SqFt: $187.99

Address: 14439 FAWNHAVEN CT ORLANDO Florida 32828

County: Orange County

Subdivision: STONEYBROOK UNIT 9

Community: STONEYBROOK UNIT 9

Living Area: 4521

View: Clubhouse, Golf course, Swimming pool, Tennis Court

Bedrooms: 4

Bathrooms: 3 (Full) 1 (Half)

Year Built: 2003

Taxes: $9,113

MLS Number: O4769609

Features

Air Conditioning: Central, Central

Appliances: Dishwasher, Disposal, Hot Water Electric, Microwave, Range, Refrigerator

Community Features: Community Heated Pool, Fitness, Gated Community, Golf Community, Park, Playground, Recreation Building, Security, Tennis Courts

Exterior Construction: Block, Stucco

Exterior Features: Gutters / Downspouts, Irrigation System, Mature Landscaping, Patio/Porch Screened

Fireplace: Yes

Flooring: Ceramic Tile, Wall to Wall Carpet, Wood

Garage: 3+ Car Garage

Heating: Central

Interior Features: Ceiling Fan(s), Smoke Alarm(s), Walk In Closet

Pool: Yes

Roof: Shingle

Utilities: Cable Connected, Public Municipal Water, Public Sewer, Street Lights

Additional Rooms: Bonus Room, Family Room, Game Room, Inside Utility, Study / Den / Library

What the North Greenwich one look like?

Featuring finest Ikea laminate flooring at £3.50/sq metre.

Views: industrial wasteland, numerous crime scenes, gang warfare

Outlook: grey, bleak, depressing

Location: in one of the nastiest parts of London on toxic wasteland

Utilities: choice of local drug dealers

Appliances: stolen by the chavs, don't expect police to give a s**t

Garage: are you having a laugh? You can park on the road, but be prepared to fork over a large fortune to Red Ken for the privilege of using it.

Pool: only the pool of blood and vomit after average Friday/Saturday chav night out

Additional rooms: sorry, there used to be a loft, but it's now a 'bedroom', and you're paying £100k extra for it, and you can't even stand up in it. HAHAHAHA

I was back in Britain a couple of weeks ago and stayed in Crawley overnight before Flying back to the USA. I saw something like eight (8) yes eight estate agents on the short old high st. There is a disease in the UK, and it's going to emotionally kill all young people over the next twenty years. If you are smart, and have any guts at all, you will leave the country and seek a better life in Canada, the USA, EU or elsewhere. Don't let your parents cheat you out of a decent future.

My mothers solution, by the way, is for you all to live in council flats.... after all that what people had to do after the war! There will be an intergenerational war when yob britain wakes up and realises their hard work paid for someone elses pension, bloated house prices, and scrounging public sector worker.

Face it and be honest with yourselves. Britain = skank for the young. Its time to stop being children and realise that emigration will improve your lives.

I was back in Britain a couple of weeks ago and stayed in Crawley overnight before Flying back to the USA. I saw something like eight (8) yes eight estate agents on the short old high st. There is a disease in the UK, and it's going to emotionally kill all young people over the next twenty years. If you are smart, and have any guts at all, you will leave the country and seek a better life in Canada, the USA, EU or elsewhere. Don't let your parents cheat you out of a decent future.

My mothers solution, by the way, is for you all to live in council flats.... after all that what people had to do after the war! There will be an intergenerational war when yob britain wakes up and realises their hard work paid for someone elses pension, bloated house prices, and scrounging public sector worker.

Face it and be honest with yourselves. Britain = skank for the young. Its time to stop being children and realise that emigration will improve your lives.

Are you smug?

So Greenwich actually increased in value by 20% in 18 months but not in 'Beeny land' where it increased by 43%? I always get amused by those who point to Beeny as some kind of HPC hero, she's simply a smarter version of Kirsty, smart enough to know that, in order to keep the wages rolling in, the show has to keep on rolling out the 'triumph over disaster' formula time after time. In all the history of the show, some 6 years+, the amount of fukc ups can be counted on one hand. Yet we still get the comments as to how 'sound' Beeny is. <_<

Im not sure I will ever get the point of comparing to foreign property. I dont actually want to live in America. Was there for a month - no thanks! tbh the work ethic puts me off if nothing else - 10 days holiday! But also of course you cant actually just hop over and get a work permit by snapping your fingers.

Cant help where you are born, given that statistically most people are born into a world of misery far beyond the comprehension of us people sitting behind our computer screens its difficult to cry too hard about it. Or is that just me...

Edited by Orbital

Ha ha ha. What council flats? :lol:

Seems to me the US is in the same boat as the UK in terms of intergenerational looting, and in some ways the set-up there is worse (watch "The End of Suburbia" or read James Kunstler's rantings if you want to get an inkling of the potential downside). Americans are often convinced they live in the greatest country in the world, the only truly free country etc... to which my reply is, I'll be in Havana soon; that's in your neck of the woods--fancy meeting up? Oh that's right, you're not allowed to go there.

If you're American who decides to vote with your feet, the IRS can impose:

"...at least 10 years of stricter reporting, and monitor and tax certain post-departure income." [link]

In other words US citizens are the property of the state in a way that doesn't happen in other Western nations. When I left the UK I just started paying tax in the country I'd moved to; I was automatically exempt from UK tax because of double-taxation treaties. My American colleagues (intending to return home) were still paying tax to Uncle Sam, despite also being integrated into the European system ("expatriate continues to be a U.S. resident for tax purposes, and liable for U.S. tax on worldwide income, until the formal acts of expatriation and associated reporting are complete"). Without European tax breaks these guys would have had to stay home, or take a loss on the job.

For the record I'm married to an American girl and we could live and work there if we chose. Thanks but no thanks.

So Greenwich actually increased in value by 20% in 18 months but not in 'Beeny land' where it increased by 43%? I always get amused by those who point to Beeny as some kind of HPC hero, she's simply a smarter version of Kirsty, smart enough to know that, in order to keep the wages rolling in, the show has to keep on rolling out the 'triumph over disaster' formula time after time. In all the history of the show, some 6 years+, the amount of fukc ups can be counted on one hand. Yet we still get the comments as to how 'sound' Beeny is. <_<

I think you may find that beeny's comments were around 2 weeks ago, the programme was probably filmed 6 months plus ago.

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money

From what I remember the program said that an offer of £575k was made, however they are holding out for a much higher offer. So, money was made.

These property programs make out as if property developing is a very easy way of making money. It is very tempting for a lot of people.