House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TTID

Well, That Didn't Last Long!

Oh dear. Looks like they may need to offer better pay to casual farm workers. That wouldn't be inflationary, would it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6698713.stm

Rising living standards in Eastern Europe threaten our farm gang system.

Poor, poor BTL landlords. I weep. I really do. :lol:

On an intensive market-garden type 'farm' near me (poly-tunnels as far as the eye can see) the fruit-pickers live in PortaKabins on site with a couple of those chemical toilets. Looks like a scene from 'The Grapes of Wrath'. Broken down cars everywhere, washing hanging from makeshift lines.

Makes me ashamed every time I go by.

Don't school kids go fruit picking in the holidays anymore? I used to make £40 a week picking strawberries near York in the late '60's which was good money. Even then some of my pals couldn't hack it because it was hard work but 2/- for a tray of punnets or 2/6 a bucket was enough to make me happy!

Get some lazy Brits off their fat a*ses and make them go to the fields to work for 6-8 hours a day for their benefits !

I proposed this to a local branch of the Lib Dems. They were horrified.

My idea was to offer a number of hours community work at minimum wage, instead of job seeker's allowance.

Keep up the work habit. Have some achievements for your CV. Get some stuff done around the place.

You should have seen their faces. It was as if I'd proposed chain gangs for benefits claimants.

Get some lazy Brits off their fat a*ses and make them go to the fields to work for 6-8 hours a day for their benefits !

No need, there will be plenty of current FTBs and BTL landlords ready to get on their knees and pick fruit in a year or two ;)

Lets' get it right -

Has the grower's tinpot landlording scheme screeched to a halt?

What are they most upset about? The loss of workers or the loss of rent?

insidetrack -

Maybe it is because they don't pay part of their wages straight back as rent.

Edited by OnlyMe

In Hong Kong the (then British) government implemented years ago that if you're on unemployment benefit you work one day a week for the government - nothing complicated or even brutally laboursome (like digging the road), just basic things like painting fences, sweeping roads, trimming hedges, that kind of thing. Keeping the public spaces tidy, and helping out at charities and stuff. It seems to work quite well.

But we only enforce these enlightened rules on colonies, and let the masses relax in the homeland. Strange, isn't it.

Round our way these jobs were commonly done by gypsy's and travelers, they go where the seasonal work is. They can no longer get this work as i guess the farm owners choose the people who they can pay the least

My idea was to offer a number of hours community work at minimum wage, instead of job seeker's allowance.

Keep up the work habit. Have some achievements for your CV. Get some stuff done around the place.

You should have seen their faces. It was as if I'd proposed chain gangs for benefits claimants.

To compare a similar scheme:

I worked with a community group that for a year had a team of petty criminals doing 'community service' work one day a week acompanied by one or two supervisors.

Once you've paid a supervisor/s, insured the team, kitted them out in health /safety gear and paid to administrate the whole project. It will have cost a lot of cash.

Also the team will often have a reluctant, work shy & disruptive element that is always a stressful problem, along with the occasional crack-head or nutter.

This was in a depressd part of SE London , so perhaps it's better in other areas.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

as fat rafa would say "unf***believable"-

In Hong Kong the (then British) government implemented years ago that if you're on unemployment benefit you work one day a week for the government - nothing complicated or even brutally laboursome (like digging the road), just basic things like painting fences, sweeping roads, trimming hedges, that kind of thing. Keeping the public spaces tidy, and helping out at charities and stuff. It seems to work quite well.

Sounds a good idea, and if they don't turn up, stop their benefits.

But we only enforce these enlightened rules on colonies, and let the masses relax in the homeland. Strange, isn't it.

Not sure how the government is elected over there but i think they would be too scared to do it over here. Would certainly lose them the next election, getting those fat lazy gits off their a$$e$.

A states man thinks about the next generation. A polititian thinks about the next election.

They arent staying home, they are finding better work as the links and local knowledge in this country improve. Few doors down we have a house o' Poles, after having been here a number of months one of them appears to now own a shop (east European food) and drives a brand new Passat. No strawberry picking for him methinks!

I say if you are not working and on the dole/benefits you should not be allowed to vote.

Edit: Pensioners and physically disabled are exempt from the "not working" part of the above quote! ;)

Edited by OzzMosiz

Not sure how the government is elected over there but i think they would be too scared to do it over here. Would certainly lose them the next election, getting those fat lazy gits off their a$$e$.

A states man thinks about the next generation. A polititian thinks about the next election.

Yes, a colonial government doesn't worry too much about winning votes.

Maybe we need just one government with some guts that will get in, do what needs to be done, and accept that they'll loose the next election because of it. Unfortunately, that hasn't been Labour, in spite of a carte blanche majority.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6698713.stm

Rising living standards in Eastern Europe threaten our farm gang system.

Poor, poor BTL landlords. I weep. I really do. :lol:

I think reasons are different than mentioned in the article.

Poles just got pernament jobs - in UK and elsewhere, so they don't need to take temporary jobs like picking up strawberries.

In Poland number of people in employment declined when unemployment decreased significantly, so "missed" people had to find pernament jobs abroad. And here is the reason for lack of temporary agricultural workers.

I say if you are not working and on the dole/benefits you should not be allowed to vote.

Dollies are too lazy to vote anyway. <_<

My solution would be... "this area has 100 vacancies for unskilled labour so the 100 people on the dole the longest will have their right to benefits revoked with immediate effect."

The one good thing Labour has done is introduce the minimum wage so there's no "slave labour" anymore. (Mind you I think we should increase the minimum wage a little and double it on Sundays.)

But we do enforce these rules here. What do you do - force people on benefits to work for their benefits - or give people a 'created' job. The tossers that rule us now decided that we needed to create a million more jobs - so they did just that. Raised taxation and created the jobs.

I can't make my mind up whether it is better to pay someone unemployed £100 a week in benefits - and have them hanging around the streets bored all day, or create a job for them, pay them £400 a week and get them involved with and contributing to society.

Of the £400 they'll give about £115 a week back straight away in tax and NI. The rest they will presumably spend - some of which will go on fags, booze and petrol and VAT on other things - so maybe they'll pay another £30 - £40 in taxes and duties. Plus the money they spend creates demand in the economy and gives work to other people.

I have no real idea but I'd be curious to see figures on the real costs of keeping people on the dole as opposed to creating jobs for them.

If they have moved on to better paid permanent jobs, good for them - they obviously have the skills to justify it.

This now leaves the opportunity for our own army of useless scum to do what they are skilled for - picking stawberries.

Don't school kids go fruit picking in the holidays anymore? I used to make £40 a week picking strawberries near York in the late '60's which was good money. Even then some of my pals couldn't hack it because it was hard work but 2/- for a tray of punnets or 2/6 a bucket was enough to make me happy!

And if it's not winter that sort of work for a few months really makes you feel good. Outdoors, fresh air, things going at a normal pace, no crazy noises and stuff flashing up in front of you. You can really feel at one with the Earth...

I like the idea of putting people to work doing somehting if they're dolites.

There's no reason for us to pay people to "do nothing" when actively seeking work at a job plus centre or actually working has got to be better (for us paying them)

If the dolies didn't like it then they should get a proper job or accept they'll have to live on nothing.

I like the idea of putting people to work doing somehting if they're dolites.

There's no reason for us to pay people to "do nothing" when actively seeking work at a job plus centre or actually working has got to be better (for us paying them)

If the dolies didn't like it then they should get a proper job or accept they'll have to live on nothing.

I can only imagine that it is because it is such a sound idea that we have almost total consensus on it, for once. I certainly struggle to conceive of any disadvantages when it is compared to the current insanity.