House Price Crash Forum

Property Snake Website

bill65

HOLA441
The database would be relatively tiny after all there can't be more than a couple of million records in it. Only three to four tables required depending on the degree of normalisation.

Would run super quick on a basic dl380 which cost about a grand.

I run a 2TB DW on hardware not much greater than that loading around 40 Million records a week. Fack, that was interesting for everyone

itwas good for me - appears they are holding a detailed history of price reductions per property so guess an extra table - if they were just holding start and current you could do without

possibly a little off topic :unsure:

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
itwas good for me - appears they are holding a detailed history of price reductions per property so guess an extra table - if they were just holding start and current you could do without

possibly a little off topic :unsure:

Agreed I would design it that way too. One fact table, one record per house with columns original and current price.

I'll get my coat.

HOLA443
HOLA444
The database would be relatively tiny after all there can't be more than a couple of million records in it. Only three to four tables required depending on the degree of normalisation.

Would run super quick on a basic dl380 which cost about a grand.

I run a 2TB DW on hardware not much greater than that loading around 40 Million records a week. Fack, that was interesting for everyone

No idea what any of that means but sounds impressive!

Regarding the propertysnake, seems a good idea but i'm aware of bigger drops than seem to be shown. Highest shown for my area -12% but most single figures. One is reduced by £50 in £130K!! And how far back does the "original price" go? What if the vendors switch agent and change price at the same time? Who cares anyway?

I read some where a poster on here as suggested a similar idea to be added to rightmove along with a "no chain" search facility, don't think they'll buy it to be honested.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest grumpy-old-man
It worked about an hour ago, might be a small server and crashing!!

Hi, yes it's up & running now.

Looks like a great site, but here is a house that has been on the market for over a year now & was originally 150k ish:

propertysnake

propertysnake only has it listed from March 2007, it was on with another agent (reeds rains I think) last year when we returned from France (we came back in May)

I know because we rented the house across the road from it for 8 months!

edited - this is another one that has been on the market for over a year now but propertysnake has it listed from march 2007:

propertysnake2

can't remember how much it was up for though. I wonder if the site got it's stats from March 2007. Anyone found 1 that goes back further ?

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Great site don,t knock it,

Yup, it's made my day. I've had a quick browse over my area and it confirms what I feel (can't be bovvered to keep notes).

I don't think it matters that they only have data to March 07. My guess is that March 07 will be the high-water mark against which future asking prices can be measured.

[ooops! Did I call the top? Didn't mean to, honest, and March 07 was in Q1 2007 wasn't it?]

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Hi, yes it's up & running now.

Looks like a great site, but here is a house that has been on the market for over a year now & was originally 150k ish:

propertysnake

propertysnake only has it listed from March 2007, it was on with another agent (reeds rains I think) last year when we returned from France (we came back in May)

I know because we rented the house across the road from it for 8 months!

edited - this is another one that has been on the market for over a year now but propertysnake has it listed from march 2007:

propertysnake2

can't remember how much it was up for though. I wonder if the site got it's stats from March 2007. Anyone found 1 that goes back further ?

I know this property as been for sale for approx 2 years, original price £425k or £430k ( so long ago i can't remember), it's shown as first listed in March 2007 for £400k and reduced in april to £380k.

propertysnake details

Still over priced, £300k would be about right in my opinion which equates to a "crash" of about 30%!

HOLA4414

type original price current price change

3 bedroom house £750,000 £595,000 DOWN 20%

3 bedroom flat £350,000 £275,000 DOWN 21%

3 bedroom town house £415,000 £370,000 DOWN 10%

This is mostly new-built crappolino. Quite impressive. But I would not at all buy. :lol:

HOLA4415

All the ones I've looked at have a start date of either 20 or 21 March which, presumably, is when the site started.

Still useful and will get even more so.

p

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest grumpy-old-man
How interesting will it be to watch this site after the next interest rate rise,say 0.5%!

yes, I think we will see some rapid drops of asking prices very soon. There are loads of properties in a few postcodes I tried that I recognised & it's good to be able to see what they started at & how much they have dropped.

ps -sorry if my earlier reply came across a bit negative, I't wasn't meant that way. :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

What a great site!

They should do some ready made business address cards to print that you can hand out to anybody still believing the VI spin and about to cripple themselves with debt to "get on the ladder" to save them from their folly.

My personal favourite is a charming little property in Mevagissey, down 29% to £245k, with one change from listed to sold and back again. Tee hee.

A large double fronted Grade II listed Georgian property with substantial accommdation.

Three Double Bedrooms, two with en-suite shower rooms

Three Reception Rooms

Family Bathroom, shower room and separate WC

Sea Views from the top floors

Conveniently positioned close to the harbour

Not bad but why did the Georgians always forget the garage?

As has been said before this is only covering two months. This will just get better and better!

HOLA4420
Guest Bart of Darkness

Had a look at the area I'm interested in (S20), a lot of 4% and 3% reductions. It is a slow site but hey, I'm a bear. We're a patient lot. :)

Nice to see that this is down 21% though. If I had to live there I'd be using my deposit money to buy a gun to shoot myself!

Good site, should prove very useful over the next few years.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yes I was looking at BN2 earlier! I mean it's of limited use as Brighton prices need to fall by just a bit more than 8% to become even vaguely worth even thinking about buying. Those top listings are just comedy listings anyway. £1M for an apartment. WHERE DO I SIGN.

Brighton-bashing apart, it looks like a very useful site. If it takes off massively I can really see it helping in moving the housing market away from being a 100% sellers' market.

Edit: as I'm a spaz

Edited by christh

HOLA4424
HOLA4425