House Price Crash Forum

And £6 per hour = £14,976 per annum based on a 48 hour week.

Meaning a property of £52,416 based on 3.5 times income. Which is readily available within a 30-40 minute commute of the city centre.

What a lot of codswallop....people don't work 52 weeks per year. Take 2 weeks off for public holidays and two weeks off for leave. Not even allowing for sick days £6 per hour on a 40 hour week = £11,520. BEFORE TAX.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lot of codswallop....people don't work 52 weeks per year. Take 2 weeks off for public holidays and two weeks off for leave. Not even allowing for sick days £6 per hour on a 40 hour week = £11,520. BEFORE TAX.

If you are employed, you should be paid for the full 52 weeks though. All employees have a right to paid leave.

£12480 per anum, before tax.

...48 hours is a far more typical working week these days...

No, that's not right.

Aberdeen, total hours worked, full time employment.

Median = 37.7, Mean = 40.1

Aberdeenshire

Median = 38.9, Mean = 40.7

Source: National Statistics, Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, 2008

spreadsheet here:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/the...008/tab8_9a.xls

If you are employed, you should be paid for the full 52 weeks though. All employees have a right to paid leave.

£12480 per anum, before tax.

Agreed. I presumed Spamish was talking about someone on an hourly rate (which is why he came up with those airy-fairy numbers). If you are paid a salary then it's quite difficult to work out an hourly rate because there is so much involved.

Who bloody cares!

Lets just say the basic pay rate workers are getting £13000 ±£2500 pa and end the quarrel.

What a pedantic bunch of school girls on here ffs!

McSpamish, can you not offer a bit more productive debate and stop playing the VERY irritating devils advocate and self professed master of the universe role all the time? Nobody likes a know-it-all come clock watcher, especially when they are so often incorrect.

Do you not get sexed or something? Gee whiz...

Actually, I have just realised how insane this debate has become.

You do realise we are now arguing about how many hours a week, a person on 25p an hour more than the legal minimum wage, would need to work to be able to buy a flat on 3.5 times income within a reasonable range of Aberdeen.

You have lost all credibility in arguing that the Aberdeen market is unaffordable. All of you.

The very fact that your entire argument has come down to whether or not someone on less than half of the local average wage can afford to buy if they work 40 hours versus 48 hours....... and whether or not it's OK for them to drive 30 minutes to do so...... is just insane

FFS, what on earth makes any of you think that someone on £6 or even £7 an hour should be able to buy a house? And not only that, you seem to assume they should be able to buy a house in the nicest and closest areas in town!!!!!

Madness.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You do realise we are now arguing about how many hours a week, a person on 25p an hour more than the legal minimum wage, would need to work to be able to buy a flat on 3.5 times income within a reasonable range of Aberdeen.

You have lost all credibility in arguing that the Aberdeen market is unaffordable. All of you.

The very fact that your entire argument has come down to whether or not someone on less than half of the local average wage can afford to buy if they work 40 hours versus 48 hours....... and whether or not it's OK for them to drive 30 minutes to do so...... is just insane

FFS, what on earth makes any of you think that someone on £6 or even £7 an hour should be able to buy a house? And not only that, you seem to assume they should be able to buy a house in the nicest and closest areas in town!!!!!

Madness.

I think you miss the point our Hamish. ;)

Nobody is saying all these people should be able to afford to buy a house. However there are a LOT of people that earn this sort of money. A lot do perfectly reasonable 'normal' jobs. In the past people doing similar jobs would have been able to afford a place. Today they cannot. It is a simple point.

People earning an average wage should be able to afford the average house.

People earning above average wages should be able to afford to buy an above average house.

These shouldn't have to be 40 minutes from the City you work in either.

Madness.

Yes, insane it may be, but you were the one who suggested it was possible to buy a property on £6 an hour.

As usual, you manipulated the figures and made asumptions to fit your argument - something you are quick to critcise others for.

You don't have much credibility yourself.

Madness.

Probably because they always used to be able to (up to only a few years ago), when a flat in torry cost between 15k and 25k. Not only Torry either but quite a few areas. It'll be interesting to see if those days return.

Yes, insane it may be, but you were the one who suggested it was possible to buy a property on £6 an hour.

And I definitively proved it is. Provided someone is working the maximum allowable standard week, and without getting into overtime or second jobs.

As usual, you manipulated the figures and made asumptions to fit your argument - something you are quick to critcise others for.

Bullsh1t. I manipulated nothing.

Aberdeen has not, does not, and will not have an affordability crisis.

Anyone that argues otherwise is quite frankly bonkers.

You don't have much credibility yourself.

Whatever, I've been right far more often than I've been wrong, and certainly far more often than you. The fact that you don't like what I'm saying is irrelevant to that fact.

You need to take off your doom-tinted glasses and get back in the real world.

Why not admit you just want to get a cheap deal at other peoples expense, through the misery of a recession if that's what's required.

Honesty would get you a lot further in life than trying to make up fairy tales about lack of affordability that any 3 year old with an internet connection and access to ASPC can disprove.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH
And I definitively proved it is. Provided someone is working the maximum allowable standard week, and without getting into overtime or second jobs.

Why not admit you just want to get a cheap deal at other peoples expense, through the misery of a recession if that's what's required.

Hamish, your such a dik....

So the obvious counter arguement is you want to get rich at buyers expense costing them many years of torment from false HPI...

Greed is a sin and so may your soul burn in hell..

ANyway, im off treasure hunting for the Gem of Zanzibar..

Whatever, I've been right far more often than I've been wrong, and certainly far more often than you. The fact that you don't like what I'm saying is irrelevant to that fact.

Honesty would get you a lot further in life than trying to make up fairy tales about lack of affordability that any 3 year old with an internet connection and access to ASPC can disprove.

Hamish. It is little snippets like the above when your true character comes out and we can see you what what you are. Someone in denial. Most probably an Estate Agent. Good luck !!

Probably because they always used to be able to (up to only a few years ago), when a flat in torry cost between 15k and 25k. Not only Torry either but quite a few areas. It'll be interesting to see if those days return.

Around 30% of households in Aberdeen are social housing.

The bottom third of earners have never really been able to afford a house in town, any more than they can today.

Although they could then, and can now, afford one slightly outside town.

Whatever you say Hamish, you're always right.

You're the one in fairy tale land.

Hamish - your full of shyte - since when is folk wanting 40/50% of prices from 3/4 years ago being ripped off with people wanting a reduction in prices

As i always say these price increases in property have no way been matched in wage increases so it was pure availability of credit that has fuelled this.

I notice guys on threads are throwing up the ASPC stats v 2007 this last week - what i was pointing out about 6 weeks ago

YOU need to look around - Aberdeen is not so insulated - All 7 Divisions of my employer are annoucing job losses now and this is Top 3 Oil Servcies Company in world - and they are revisiting the January announcement to increase globally the head count loss

Edited by euan2020
Around 30% of households in Aberdeen are social housing.

The bottom third of earners have never really been able to afford a house in town, any more than they can today.

Although they could then, and can now, afford one slightly outside town.

It sounds like you're trying to say that nothing has changed affordability wise over the years in Aberdeen. I know that even you dont believe that though.

Prices up around 200% since 1999/2000. Wages up around 30/40%

But maybe you just think that Aberdeen was a paradise for homebuying before but now its caught up with the rest of the country.

I think McSpamish must have a bit of money tied up in a property, hence the refusal to acknowledge/accept the dire situation we are in. No amount of bleating the same tired lines will make the situation better for him, or anyone who visits this sub-forum for that matter.

Ostrich syndrome.

Either that or he is just having a very long and drawn out laugh by winding us up.

A whole heck of a lot of people are going to lose a ton of investment money in the coming years up here, due to it being tied up in the illiquid investment of property in a diminishing market. Panic will settle in by autumn I reckon.

Aberdeen is not an enclave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's only March 2009 folks. Just wait and hope we all keep our jobs. We've had a lovely weekend and maybe we can get a T-shirt day this week. Positive thoughts!

Personally I am upset because my spring holiday looks to be about 50% more this year than last. I don't want to spend my time off in the UK ffs.

Anyone have any thoughts on a good holiday spot, with sun and decent motorcycle hires, not full of drunk chavs, and which hasn't been raped by our poor $/£/€ exchange rates?

what about Dunblane hydro - got some deals on just now

quite fancy a few days away and folk have said in past that was nice

I also quite fancy taking american lass fom work across to west coast

although KLM doing a lot of deals and you can get Istanbul flight from aberdeen for £152

new property at westhill today, 2 bed semi on at OO 160k. now check all the 2 bed semi's in westhill. one at 175k no garage crombie acres looks masively over priced. as does westdyke place at fixed 175k. note theres a 3 bedder at westdyke for 175k and i have it on good authority that current owner would take a price well under that. morven drive at 172.5k now overpriced in comparison.

an area with massive falls id say blackburn. loads of houses in the region of 210-260k all similar at varies prices.

Relative Affordability in Aberdeen versus other markets.

Sorry I'm late to the party with this - affordability data is available on ASPC Annual Archive link.

http://www.aspc.co.uk/Documents/AnnualStats2008.pdf

I've made up the attached graph from the data on page 2.

Aberdeen affordability better than UK since 1999. Generally always worse than rest of Scotland, but diverging dramatically from 2005, sharp snap-back in 2008.

Picture_1.png

post-14504-1237215188_thumb.png

Relative Affordability in Aberdeen versus other markets.

Sorry I'm late to the party with this - affordability data is available on ASPC Annual Archive link.

http://www.aspc.co.uk/Documents/AnnualStats2008.pdf

I've made up the attached graph from the data on page 2.

Aberdeen affordability better than UK since 1999. Generally always worse than rest of Scotland, but diverging dramatically from 2005, sharp snap-back in 2008.

So Aberdeen 2008 affordability, following a minor price drop of around 10K in 2007, is now slightly more affordable than the UK national average afforability index was way back in 2003.....

Interesting. :lol:

Hamish - you have avoided my estate agents questions on a few occasions.

You seem to have an intimate knowledge of particular streets in Aberdeen. You seem to know rather quickly the ins and outs of home reports.

Just get it over with and admit you are in the EA (Or related) business. :lol:

• Guest featured this topic