House Price Crash Forum

9 hours ago, maffo in oxford said:

Come on, that's just ******** for some sectors.
More than 85% of the IR35 contracts in construction were found to fall outside.

Oil rigs and gas refineries are slightly different to construction. I've read a lot about IT but not heard much about oil, however, I'd imagine there are a few barriers to being outside ir35 including having to work at a set location (oil rig) at a set time (both the daily shift and also the 2 or 3 week on boarding rota) working with your employers equipment (you can't bring tools in on the chopper for safety/weight) and working under the direction of a rig master, to the companies own safety and process guidance as well as things like security clearance blocking your right of substitution. In the late 1990s I worked for an employment agency for oil and we were telling people to shave their faces and remove their piercings when they got jobs (for the oxygen masks on the choppers). 

I'm not sure about those construction numbers. As ive said my brother in law is a pipe fitter in construction (in Cowley funnily enough) and to my mind works just like an employee as well. 

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/18285836.funding-sought-explore-crazy-aberdeen-cable-car-project/

SUPPORTERS of a transformational proposal to build a cable car from Aberdeen’s new harbour to the city centre are seeking to raise £15,000 to fund a feasibility study.

Sceptics question the wisdom of suspending cable cars filled with passengers over a busy industrial harbour where hydrocarbons are stored and which is often subject to gale force winds.

However, the concept has persisted since it first emerged as a “crazy” proposal at a business conference in the city in 2018. Supporters and sceptics alike are keen to see if a study by engineering firm Arup could provide the initial blueprint for investment in a project whose costs are yet to be estimated, but which could deliver an ambitious and iconic addition for a city keen to highlight its appeal to the world.

Reg - if a carbon capture app can generate £580k of funding, i dont see why not.

Seems to be plenty of slush money kicking around

Westminster upgrade, Holyrood, AWPR, HS2 - lets get the bridge to Ireland built at the same time haha

AWPR to get traffic lights now - you couldnt make it up if you tried the levels on incompetency involved here

Why didnt they just build simple slip roads rather than T-junctions onto Roundabouts? would have been a fraction of the costs now to implement a half baked solution.

The sign posting on AWPR is a complete joke too.. been in Aberdeen 40 years and even i have no idea what they mean

32 minutes ago, delboypass said:

AWPR to get traffic lights now - you couldnt make it up if you tried the levels on incompetency involved here

Why didnt they just build simple slip roads rather than T-junctions onto Roundabouts? would have been a fraction of the costs now to implement a half baked solution.

The sign posting on AWPR is a complete joke too.. been in Aberdeen 40 years and even i have no idea what they mean

To slow traffic down and reduce road deaths.

I find these nitpickings of AWPR absolutely bizarre, it’s the best thing to have happened up here by far.

Amusing comment I saw today on this website regarding the Coronavirus and the North Sea

"It’s having some interesting effects on the oil platforms where I work. When you check in for your helicopter flights, you must declare that you have not been to certain countries. Several of which are popular far-east holiday destinations favoured by young men with money in their pocket and up to 8 months off a year. If you have been to these destinations the company will pay you to sit at home for 2 weeks. Several of my more gung-ho co-workers are currently booking holidays to these destinations (where flights and holidays are currently cheap) in order to get 2 weeks off work on full pay.
Should somebody test positive offshore then the regular helicopter company is refusing to fly them back to the beach. The coastguard will step up instead with one of their choppers. However, anybody onboard at the time of the positive test will be forced to stay offshore until 14 days after the last confirmed case has been evacuated
."

Of more pressing concern for the area has to be the way the oil price is crashing and the free-for all there will be for oil production come next month.  The more you read up about it, the more you realise how disastrous this virus is going to be economically.

On 06/03/2020 at 21:56, EME said:

To slow traffic down and reduce road deaths.

I find these nitpickings of AWPR absolutely bizarre, it’s the best thing to have happened up here by far.

Its not nit-picking..I like the AWPR - It was designed for cheapest implementation full well knowing these issues would appear..like on day 1 it opened... There is still room for improvement but i doubt council will ever fund now given budget constraints

You have to agree it is bloody confusing as hell to drive though even as experienced residents of Aberdeen and  utterly shocking signs

Who would build a T-junction onto a roundabout with no slip road?

It is the same as Haudigan - slip roads off the round-about would have solved the issues many decades ago ..

2 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Amusing comment I saw today on this website regarding the Coronavirus and the North Sea

"It’s having some interesting effects on the oil platforms where I work. When you check in for your helicopter flights, you must declare that you have not been to certain countries. Several of which are popular far-east holiday destinations favoured by young men with money in their pocket and up to 8 months off a year. If you have been to these destinations the company will pay you to sit at home for 2 weeks. Several of my more gung-ho co-workers are currently booking holidays to these destinations (where flights and holidays are currently cheap) in order to get 2 weeks off work on full pay.
Should somebody test positive offshore then the regular helicopter company is refusing to fly them back to the beach. The coastguard will step up instead with one of their choppers. However, anybody onboard at the time of the positive test will be forced to stay offshore until 14 days after the last confirmed case has been evacuated
."

Of more pressing concern for the area has to be the way the oil price is crashing and the free-for all there will be for oil production come next month.  The more you read up about it, the more you realise how disastrous this virus is going to be economically.

Holy moley - thats crazy - surely they should get them off as quickly as possible before it turns into another cruise ship nightmare breeding ground..

Yes going to be a lot of sick pay claims through out every industry it seems 

Had a drive through Countesswells today!

How many new houses going in and more importantly..who is buying them all!

I havent seen the population of Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire increasing but we have been pumping out thousands of houses and flats over the past few years.

On 14/02/2020 at 09:25, Oily said:

We're going to have to find a new favourite. Was £1.415m when new in 2014, now sold for circa £875k. 

This property has been removed from your wishlist as it has been sold.

ASPC ref. 361153

10 Oakhill Grange, AB15 5EB"

On 14/02/2020 at 10:05, stingray192 said:

I honestly can’t imagine anyone paying anything remotely close to the asking price for that house, out of the over priced homes this one was in a different league to anything else out there

Sold for £818k! So a crash of 42% in 5.5 years, OR losing approximately £9,200/month!

That is definitely a national record. Someone must be convinced they've bought the bargain of the century!

167811678_10Oakhill.thumb.PNG.03fb17a5288f33054fb3e967a88796e7.PNG

3 hours ago, shortbread said:

Sold for £818k! So a crash of 42% in 5.5 years, OR losing approximately £9,200/month!

That is definitely a national record. Someone must be convinced they've bought the bargain of the century!

167811678_10Oakhill.thumb.PNG.03fb17a5288f33054fb3e967a88796e7.PNG

".....losing approximately £9,200/month" PLUS financing of £1.4m for 65 months PLUS stamp duty and it still looks overpriced!

Bought by a property "expert" as an investment. 

59 minutes ago, Oily said:

".....losing approximately £9,200/month" PLUS financing of £1.4m for 65 months PLUS stamp duty and it still looks overpriced!

Bought by a property "expert" as an investment. 

Was this a repossession? Most likely bank took the hit...... or blow to be exact! 

2 hours ago, shortbread said:

Was this a repossession? Most likely bank took the hit...... or blow to be exact! 

I don't know who 'owned' at the end as it's quite difficult to disentangle corporate and personal stakes.  A well known property and mortgage company was associated with it and one of the company's owners was involved in an insolvency a year or so ago. so can only speculate. 

The latest oil price plunge won't be helping Aberdeen so I expect more house price drops, especially as the new builds continue unabated.  All supported by the council and it's erroneous assumption that Aberdeen population will rise over the next decade.

2 hours ago, Oily said:

The latest oil price plunge won't be helping Aberdeen so I expect more house price drops, especially as the new builds continue unabated.  All supported by the council and it's erroneous assumption that Aberdeen population will rise over the next decade.

I do wonder if a lot of the new developments are being allowed due to the planning gain money the councils get in exchange. 

This may explain why a lot of the new developments are so incredibly dense - win win for the council and builders as more money for both.  Loser is Joe Public as they get offered doll houses with minimal garden and parking space.

As for the oil price, today has been painful and the mood in the office was dire as its inevitable that layoffs will be on the horizon shortly.

10 hours ago, Oily said:

8 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

I do wonder if a lot of the new developments are being allowed due to the planning gain money the councils get in exchange. 

This may explain why a lot of the new developments are so incredibly dense - win win for the council and builders as more money for both. 

I think it is erroneous to assume the council has the foresight or concern about the city's future. The institution is driven by short term goals and right now the number one priority is to fund spending and pay debt.

So letting builders build more is the easiest solution!

More the merrier I say, keeps pushing prices downwards and gives buyers more options.

On 05/03/2020 at 21:52, maffo in oxford said:

Come on, that's just ******** for some sectors.
More than 85% of the IR35 contracts in construction were found to fall outside.

Interested to read this article today

http://www.constructionmanagermagazine.com//news/tribunal-ruling-puts-contractors-employment-status/

I didn't think ir35 was having an impact in construction but perhaps it is. 

Market:

So does anything think its a good time to Buy oil? any good share tips or we think will get worse with Corona virus and market slowdown and to hold further?

New build parking spaces

I totally agree on zero parking space - westhill and countesswells new builds - 1 parking space for 4 bed houses that typically have 3 or 4 cars..All now parked on the street so down to 1 way traffic most of the times.. They should have to build a minimum of 2 parking spaces for a 2 bed property upwards

That’s them 

obviously not a good time for you to invest more in oil company shares if you’re already upset about BP

but for someone with no oil company shares it’s a great time to buy these high dividend payers which have paid out every year since 1945

this is all just my opinion of course as I am sure someone will be along shortly to rubbish this such is the optimistic nature of this place lol

im thinking will go even lower EME

This was before even the quarantines were put in place so now if a full global shutdown in place oil will drop through the floor.

We just got to time the bottom right

Whats your thoughts? lower still or hit the bottom?