House Price Crash Forum

7 minutes ago, sandster said:

Also the sales figures are misleading. People buying new builds and trading their house in against it (I forget the term) counts as 2 house sales rather than 1 + 1 on the market.

Edit: Part-exchange?

Aahh, thank you for the insight Sandster. This might explain the sudden sale volume bump in the last month of the calendar year.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made my most appealing Aberdeen city centre “executive apartment” into an Airbnb in 2018 (no I’m not telling you lot where about)

I keep putting the price up and demand continues. Now making 4 times as much on airbnb and booking.com as I used to renting it out.

Over 100 stays and not one problem guest (probably due to my prices to be honest)

Aberdeen was listed as worldwide top 20 place to visit on Airbnb 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/business/aberdeen-named-among-world-s-top-20-airbnb-destinations-1-5020810/amp

Work that one out lol

On 20/02/2020 at 22:21, EME said:

Made my most appealing Aberdeen city centre “executive apartment” into an Airbnb in 2018 (no I’m not telling you lot where about)

I keep putting the price up and demand continues. Now making 4 times as much on airbnb and booking.com as I used to renting it out.

Over 100 stays and not one problem guest (probably due to my prices to be honest)

Aberdeen was listed as worldwide top 20 place to visit on Airbnb 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/business/aberdeen-named-among-world-s-top-20-airbnb-destinations-1-5020810/amp

Work that one out lol

Do you have to pay taxes on Airbnb or anything?

Are you running as a business like limited company?

Fascinating the number of flats that are being proposed to be built near the centre of Aberdeen considering the number on the market already.  As ever, seems demolishing and building afresh is the preferred option.

All to the good, the more supply the merrier.

---------------

Development firm Cater Group has unveiled plans for new apartments on the site of a former bakery in Aberdeen

"With signs of the property market in Aberdeen picking up, we are excited for our upcoming developments throughout the city"

--------------

Plans have been lodged to build 140 new homes in Aberdeen city centre

-------------

Development of new apartments on Union Street in Aberdeen

7 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Fascinating the number of flats that are being proposed to be built near the centre of Aberdeen considering the number on the market already.  As ever, seems demolishing and building afresh is the preferred option.

All to the good, the more supply the merrier.

---------------

Development firm Cater Group has unveiled plans for new apartments on the site of a former bakery in Aberdeen

"With signs of the property market in Aberdeen picking up, we are excited for our upcoming developments throughout the city"

--------------

Plans have been lodged to build 140 new homes in Aberdeen city centre

-------------

Development of new apartments on Union Street in Aberdeen

Increased supply is a good thing. Will help in pushing down prices as well as provide buyers with more options. Furthermore I like the builders optimism, it's a welcome change from the negative posters on this thread!

44 minutes ago, shortbread said:

Increased supply is a good thing. Will help in pushing down prices as well as provide buyers with more options. Furthermore I like the builders optimism, it's a welcome change from the negative posters on this thread!

Hello Pot, my name is Kettle

That flats on union street..!! Are they serious.

Lent them £1m plus purchase costs on top and looking for 9 x 1bed and 2 bed apartments.

Are they even going to clear costs after they sell 9?

1 bed flats you can pick up for £50k now.. 

Are they hoping the 2 beds will go higher than £100k?

On 26/02/2020 at 17:47, delboypass said:

That flats on union street..!! Are they serious.

Lent them £1m plus purchase costs on top and looking for 9 x 1bed and 2 bed apartments.

Are they even going to clear costs after they sell 9?

1 bed flats you can pick up for £50k now.. 

Are they hoping the 2 beds will go higher than £100k?

Or perhaps like many, they are still hoping for a turnaround in O&G fortunes and the city reliving its $110/barrel glory days.

On 28/02/2020 at 16:28, EME said:

Where can I get a 1 bed flat for 50k please?

In a decent area

i.e not Tory

Thought of your post when I saw this. From Saturday mornings episode of 'the patch' on radio 4.

Screenshot_20200301_080553.jpg

About as serious as it sounds though I ws amused to hear Torry described as the world capital of staffy dogs. 

I was born in Walker Road and my brother recently lived in Balnagask Road. It's not that bad. 

Edited by regprentice

The whole of Aberdeen is a cesspool now

Dangerous dogs with junkie owners

Beggars and drunks walking through the grotty Union Street

Another dog attack in Hazelhead at weekend.

I really wish the Government would get a pair and start to crack down on crime hard.

Did you all see the clip of the kids abusing the police and setting fire to the police car laughing (not aberdeen)

The country is really going down the toilets funded by the hardworking tax payers!

Looking down Union Street today, I see a number more restaurants have closed and more "To Let" signs

Business rates are really killing the high street and leaving lots of companies dead in its wake

22 hours ago, delboypass said:

The whole of Aberdeen is a cesspool now

Dangerous dogs with junkie owners

Beggars and drunks walking through the grotty Union Street

Another dog attack in Hazelhead at weekend.

I really wish the Government would get a pair and start to crack down on crime hard.

Did you all see the clip of the kids abusing the police and setting fire to the police car laughing (not aberdeen)

The country is really going down the toilets funded by the hardworking tax payers!

Looking down Union Street today, I see a number more restaurants have closed and more "To Let" signs

Business rates are really killing the high street and leaving lots of companies dead in its wake

On a positive note the Council's up for a big award!

Leaving oile behind there isn't much Aberdeen can do about its biggest issue  -  its in the middle of nowhere. 

Lots of smaller Scottish Towns do well, Stirling, Falkirk, Perth etc... But they benefit from being closer to other towns and cities, particularly for commuting.

If I were a tourist travelling north I wouldnt travel to Aviemore or Inverness via Aberdeen, the majority of people will be directed up the A9. And some genius has just built a bypass so that anyone visiting Stonehaven, Ballater or coastal towns in the North East can completely bypass Aberdeen as well. 

8 hours ago, regprentice said:

Leaving oile behind there isn't much Aberdeen can do about its biggest issue  -  its in the middle of nowhere. 

Lots of smaller Scottish Towns do well, Stirling, Falkirk, Perth etc... But they benefit from being closer to other towns and cities, particularly for commuting.

If I were a tourist travelling north I wouldnt travel to Aviemore or Inverness via Aberdeen, the majority of people will be directed up the A9. And some genius has just built a bypass so that anyone visiting Stonehaven, Ballater or coastal towns in the North East can completely bypass Aberdeen as well. 

It is possible

I think Aberdeen can, because despite all the aforementioned drawbacks it's a LOT worse in England. Increasing crime and falling affordability will mean the younger generations will look to move elsewhere. Aberdeen has potential here because it's getting cheaper to live here every passing month and this can attract people looking to move elsewhere. The changing attitudes towards work culture means more people can and are working from home. Increasing bad weather and health epidemics mean that this trend is on the rise.

There is a surplus of empty office spaces, shops, warehouses that can house new ventures. What this city is really devoid of is realistic and achievable ideas.

Thinking and thinkers outside the box

If Aberdeen has to move forward it needs fresh blood...more importantly from elsewhere, from other cities, countries etc. No offence but the current and past O&G generation of this city is devoid of any 'real' ideas. For most it is piling money into BTL's because that's what everyone else is doing and they are not smart enough to think of anything else. Otherwise entrepreneurs who were not touched by the North Sea magic wand, conjure up enough to start a business, 95% of which is either a hair salon, a cafe or some nonviable idea which will slowly die due to a killer business rate. For the creme de la creme its a mix of absolute pipe dreams which includes magic words like, expertise which can be transferred to the renewable sector, carbon capture, green energy future, transition......If coining buzz words drove an economy, Aberdeen would be minted right now.

Aberdeen needs fresh blood to drive innovation, entrepreneurship, ideas........because the current populace has been spoilt for far too long and seems to have passed on the same message to their offspring. This includes me as well.

The Oil industry is dying and the easiest way to fix this is to live in denial

The powers in the business are slowly being concentrated in the hands of the few. Mergers, take-overs, consolidation has meant the number of producers are declining, which means influence is the hands of the remaining big players. The service companies are now suffering due to this change. Marathon, CPhilips, Maersk, Chevron, Exxon have left. New contracts are at far lower rates and service companies have to bite the bullet because the number of clients keep falling. Profits keep falling, debts climbing and people are still losing jobs!

This is on top of all the external factors which are beyond the control of anyone in the North Sea.

Aberdeen has to turn into UK's most attractive city, primarily due to affordability

A lot of this is already happening due to market factors, demand & supply etc. But the council now needs to step up and help promote new ventures. Less buzzwords and more action. People are being driven out of other cities due to increasing house prices, rents, transportation costs, rising crime etc...etc. 

This idea is way more realistic and achievable than what Ian Wood conjures up every time he's given a mic! The service companies cannot bring innovation because they can only sell a very very niche skill set. The city needs to stop listening to just them.

If anyone has been patient to read this far, this is an excellent report.

Aberdeen: A City Gambling that Oil and Gas is Still the Future

https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/02/24/aberdeen-city-gambling-oil-and-gas-still-future

IR35 is going to kill remaining industry

Big changes being blanket forced through.

Corona Virus going to cause another smash on oil industry

Like you say - dwindling profits and higher debts forcing everyone out of UK

3 hours ago, delboypass said:

IR35 is going to kill remaining industry

Big changes being blanket forced through.

Come on, that's just ******** for some sectors.
More than 85% of the IR35 contracts in construction were found to fall outside.

lets see how it plays out Maffo then as you seem to be an expert.

Im telling you from the ground whats happening

Pretty much as far as i know in Aberdeen it is now nearly impossible to get an outside IR35 contract.

That is really going to shake up the masses of high earners in Aberdeen

Offshore companies have been told by HMRC that anyone working offshore cannot be outside IR35 for example due to control and supervision of work.

I already know of umpteen resources that have jacked in their contract roles and going abroad,

This legislation will be a brain drain for UK, entrepreneurship and productivity. I can see more offshoring to India of tech jobs and visas for the UK.

It is really not helping the economy in wake of Brexit and now Coronavirus..