House Price Crash Forum

Aberdeen, Aspc Stats

HOLA441
39 minutes ago, quine said:

£315k drop off another ugly house at Oakhill Grange.

Bought Oct 2014 for £1,415.00  now trying to sell for £1,100.00.

Big house but apart from that I can't see anything that's going for it.  Fixtures and fittings look cheap, decor looks like an office.  The back garden is hilarious.  It's not a million pound house by any stretch of the imagination.  I reckon they might be lucky and get £600k - £700k for it (if someone with the same "taste" comes along)

https://www.aspc.co.uk/search/property/361153/10-Oakhill-Grange/Aberdeen/

seems to have a touch of the footballer about it, compartments to hold all their trainers and a nice triangular garden to practice taking corners. Other than that WTF.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
17 hours ago, quine said:

Big house but apart from that I can't see anything that's going for it.  Fixtures and fittings look cheap, decor looks like an office.  The back garden is hilarious.  It's not a million pound house by any stretch of the imagination.  I reckon they might be lucky and get £600k - £700k for it (if someone with the same "taste" comes along)

WTF for such big money you get such a crap garden. How can someone spend so much money and not get a huge garden? They should be ashamed of calling it a garden. 

HOLA444

The garden is tragic and the interior layout is an uninspiring mess. 

Some of the single garages on this development are too narrow to accommodate anything larger than a medium sized family car.  The estate won't age well either as the slick exteriors start to look tired and the artificial grass begins to fray ?

HOLA445
19 hours ago, quine said:

Had a look at the home report/questionaire.

The owners name is Alex Hutcheon who is one of the owners/partners of the Mortgage+Property centre (who are also selling said property)

Could he be acting in someones interests or is this his house!?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
7 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

I don't think any further comment is needed as the picture says it all - astonishing :blink: - 300 Flats planned for Rubislaw Quarry.

Bit more detail in the Evening Express

I have a memory of seeing a quarry come to market.... and it looked very similar to that one.

I'm pretty sure it was discussed on this thread. 

I may have made a post about it, messing around on ideas on what buyer may do with it because it was in/near Aberdeen peaky price area.

_97806804_rubislaw_quarry.jpg

.... a Rightmove listing as I recall it, with a low guide-price.

Yes; and here is a 2010 BBC News Article about it.

Aberdeen's iconic Rubislaw Quarry has been acquired by two local businessmen, BBC Scotland can reveal.

The granite quarry, once the biggest man-made hole in Europe, went on sale on the open market earlier this year for the first time in 150 years.

The new owners have been revealed as former oil consultant Sandy Whyte and Hugh Black, the former managing director of a construction company.

The sale price was not revealed but offers over £30,000 were sought.

The quarry is credited with giving Aberdeen its name of the Granite City.

......lies in the heart of Aberdeen's west end

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10279230

HOLA449

Actually I don't think I made a comment about what could do with the quarry, rather than I was thinking what one could do, with it being in such a location.

Other people may have posted about it on HPC.

2010 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244899/Europes-largest-man-hole-sale-30-000.html

But yesterday, local property expert John MacRae, chairman of the Aberdeen Solicitors' Property Centre, said: "I take my hat off to whoever owns the quarry and is thinking they can sell it. I am very sorry to say that I think the appeal of this site is very limited." After being told about proposed uses for the quarry, Mr MacRae told The Scotsman: "You have taken my breath away. There have been developments round about the quarry, but I am not sure who could make use of the quarry itself. "I am astonished. I don't put it beyond the wit of man to come up with some use, but I would have thought access would be limited because of the surrounding developments."

However, he added: "I can't think of anything in real estate in the Aberdeen area that you can buy for 30,000."

He described the 30,000 asking price as "realistic". He added: "There are restrictions on the development. It is going to be up to somebody to come up with ideas as to what they do with the site. They will need to satisfy themselves as to the conditions for development there."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/big-hole-for-sale-163-30-000-it-s-worth-looking-into-1-787129

HOLA4410
20 hours ago, babo456 said:

Had a look at the home report/questionaire.

The owners name is Alex Hutcheon who is one of the owners/partners of the Mortgage+Property centre (who are also selling said property)

Could he be acting in someones interests or is this his house!?

His ex wife.  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2797755

HOLA4411
On 11/09/2017 at 1:35 PM, Diver Dan said:

July's results are out:

369 sales in July in Aberdeen

Listings for places to buy and rent continue to increase but still a lot of people paying over the odds.

303 Sales in August in Aberdeen according to Rightmove

5563 Properties to buy on ASPC and 814 to rent.

1127 listings on Citylets

ASPC'S Q3 report should be out soon.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Contrary to the rest of UK, recession in the Aberdeen hotel industry continues, 10-QUARTERS at a stretch!

In contrast, Aberdeen saw a tenth consecutive quarter of falling RevPAR with a 11% decline in Q2 2017, with over 800 new rooms still to open between now and 2019.

Will get more challenging as the supply increases!

https://www.pwc.co.uk/hospitality-leisure/documents/pwc-uk-hotels-forecast-2018-as-good-as-it-gets.pdf

HOLA4414

Plus you get the most anti-social device invented by man right against your garden fence. A trampoline. As far as I'm concerned you have no garden you can use with that there.  

It's funny how price perception changes in a rising manipulated cheap credit market.  I would say £200k was overpriced. 

HOLA4415

my god 1.4 mill for that?     my god 1.1 mill for that.    completely insane, no way on earth is that place worth more that 300k. that is the most stupid money ever paid for a house in the history of aberdeen. you can get a nice wee farm for that just a couple of miles out of town. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Hometrack Cities Index: September 2017

The latest Hometrack Cities Index has been released showing that price inflation across the UK’s 20 major cities is running at 4.9% per annum, down 6% on last year but a 14-month high where the quarterly growth rate is concerned.

Edinburgh leads the way with a growth rate of 6.7%, the fastest in the nation and enough to overtake Manchester (6.5%) and Birmingham (5.9%). But it’s not such good news for homeowners in London where growth has stabilised at 2.3% annually, but 85% of the capital has seen prices decrease. The market in Aberdeen has also continued to decline, with the only city to see negative growth.

Home-track-new.jpg

Home-track-1.png

"Unfortunately for London, it continues to be last year’s must-have, waning in popularity amongst buyers due to the high price of the capital’s property, while Edinburgh shows extremely strong growth to overtake Manchester for the top spot.

That said, poor Aberdeen remains the toffee penny in a seasonal box of Quality Streets. Once such a firm favourite it is now consistently last where demand is concerned, left in the box long into the New Year, chosen by just a few who remember the glory days. Much as tastes for sweets today have shifted it is unlikely Aberdeen will find any new-found popularity amongst buyers and it continues to suffer from the decline in the oil industry."

Russell Quirk
Founder & CEO, eMoov.co.uk

https://www.emoov.co.uk/news/2017/10/25/hometrack-cities-index-september-2017/

Edited by shortbread

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
20 hours ago, onlooker said:

Off topic I know, but why is the  Edinburgh property market currently booming? 6.7% in the year to September (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/house-prices-scotland-powers-edinburgh-jumps-first-place/)

and Glasgow 5.3%.

My guess is it's all the smart money moving out of Aberdeen and London

There always seems to be a 12 month lag between changes in the London market and Edinburgh

HOLA4422
20 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

My guess is it's all the smart money moving out of Aberdeen and London

There always seems to be a 12 month lag between changes in the London market and Edinburgh

For some years now the (really) smart investors have been referring to "Aberdeen" as "Aberdone".  One in particular started to refocus away from the city before the peak in 2014 in the certain knowledge that there would be a sustained major decline at some stage....it just happened a bit sooner than expected.

Good balanced article here for once: "Grim warning over reports of renewed optimism in North Sea"

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/154325/grim-warning-reports-renewed-optimism-north-sea/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EV Daily Newsletter 2017-10-27&utm_term=Energy Voice - Newsletter

Btw I notice the number of properties on the ASPC has started its seasonal decline as houses are withdrawn with a view to relisting in the spring "when things pick up again" 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Time for some more positive news.

- Oil price now at $60 but more importantly, it's more stable which is of more importance to investors. World economy is expanding.

- The Big Majors share prices are all up accordingly - investors confidence is somewhat restored

- Operators recovery costs have now halved - this is what was killing the North Sea province before

- Halliburton revenues up

- Shell  / Chrysaor & Total / Maersk deal is proof of the value in the North Sea

Anecdotally :-

- Tender market for EPIC type contracts is warming up

- Market for semi-rigs is looking more rosey ( more planned P&A activity as a result of lower rig rates )

Another boom would not be good for Aberdeen. A slow sustainable recovery is what is required. 

Aberdeen will continue to have house price corrections for sometime to come but it does not seem as violent as some may have predicted.

HOLA4425