House Price Crash Forum
Country solicitor

E-mail Just Received From Bbc's Newsnight

Text as follows:

TALK ABOUT NEWSNIGHT

Do we need a housing market crash?

In his 1997 budget speech Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control". Ten years on and they have spiralled leaving thousands of people unable get onto the first rung of the property ladder.

So do we now need a crash in the housing market to level the playing field once more? Are crazy house prices creating a new generation of renters unable to buy? Send us your experiences - have you been priced out of the market? Or have you done well out of the boom and long may it continue?

Let us know below and we'll discuss the issues and put some of your points to the government and a select panel on tonight's Newsnight.

CLICK HERE TO POST YOUR COMMENTS

-can't do that linking thing but have copied the page reference which is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2007/...tml#postcomment

Excellent - another inkling that the concept of a HPC as a positive thing may be getting through. It is something I am seeing more and more of in the media. The message is getting though. About time too - after all, how many of life's necessities do you want to double in price?

Excellent - another inkling that the concept of a HPC as a positive thing may be getting through. It is something I am seeing more and more of in the media. The message is getting though. About time too - after all, how many of life's necessities do you want to double in price?

It seems only natural as those in the media who were too young to ride the HPI bandwagon are coming of age and realisng that they can't afford to buy a 1 bed flat let alone a family house.

Real hard evidence of young people leaving the UK;

I actually moved to Washington DC, because I couldn't afford to move back to London after working in Bristol for a few years. In the US the higher salary I obtained meant I could actually afford to buy a house, instead of a studio apartment in the outskirts of London.
I am renting with my partner which takes up a third of our joint income.

We have been saving for a deposit but this is taking forever. So we have decided to emigrate to Spain where properties are much cheaper and affordable. It will be a better lifestyle for both of us.

I see Martin Lewis chimed in (post 60 - nice one Martin).

Looks almost unanimous in that all the posters want a crash/correction! :)

Yikes! No posts against a crash yet! :)

Every comment on that page feels like an arrow in my heart. It really is a tragedy for a generation.

I suspect that only an uprising will be able to reverse the situation. Talk is cheap with this government, and their actions (and inactions) are there for all to see.

The post numbers are changing as others are added (presumably in chronological order)-good one from a certain J Davis at No 33.

I've also put forward a few questions however I don't expect them to be asked or answered. As a matter of fact, I expect the whole issue of HPI, artificially low interest rates to stimulate HPI, lax lending and the government's lack of intervention and how the wealth of the nation is being concentrated into one particular section of society to be skimmed over.

All the really probing questions and comments will be consigned to the litter bin.

Newsnight have just e-mailed out their usual programme synopsis plus a good joke :P

THURSDAY 24 MAY 22:30 BST - BBC TWO

FROM GAVIN ESLER

Hello,

Today's Quote for the Day:

"I will not do full frontal. I need somewhere to go as an actress" - Lindsay Lohan.

Indeed. In tonight's programme:

How Green is Blair?

We've an exclusive interview with the Prime Minister on the environment. Our environment analyst, Roger Harrabin will be asking the Prime Minister about his record on climate change and the political controversy over the Government's new strategy for getting rid of waste.

Housing

Gordon Brown swept into Number 11 Downing Street ten years ago promising to bring stability to the housing market. In his 1997 budget speech Mr Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control". Ten years on and they have spiralled leaving tens of thousands of people unable to get onto the first rung of the property ladder.

So - do we need a housing crash? Is some kind of soft landing possible? How many more new houses do we need - and where will they be built?

CLICK HERE TO POST YOUR COMMENTS

Cannes

There have been few Union Jacks flying over the Croisette: in fact the 60th Cannes film festival has been a pretty British film-free zone, apart from two notable exceptions.

Both of them focus on British rock icons - one a biopic, about the lead singer of Joy Division, Ian Curtis, who committed suicide in 1980, and the other, a documentary on the lead singer of the Clash, Joe Strummer, who died aged 50 in 2002. Razia Iqbal reports for Newsnight from Cannes.

And finally...

Stop him before he kills again. Yesterday's abysmal joke by a Newsnight staff member going under the name "Peter C" has been followed by one just as execrable, and (I would guess) about 20 years old:

What's the first sign of madness?

Suggs walking up your drive.

Newsnight is at 10.30 on BBC2

Gavin

and there's more:

"....I can only say from all this that I am part of a generation which owes neither my country or my elders any gratitude or loyalty. I encourage all who can to leave because this country is simply not worth the cost we each pay every day simply to live in it."

I found the comments heart-warming. After years of trying to convince friends that HPI benefits nobody but banks, estate agents and speculators, and being met with you're a lunatic stares of incomprehension, I'm impressed that so many people are starting to understand that they've been conned.

I'm assuming that not all the comments are from members of this forum...