House Price Crash Forum
munimula

Letter From Tory Mp

Original email sent to my local MP;

Dear X,

I am traditionally a Conservative voter but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the Conservative party, lots of PR exercises, little in the way of real substance in any policies. After 10 years of Labour spin I have no appetite for more of it.

The one thing that is of most importance to me is the issue of housing and this is not being addressed satisfactorily by any party. There is now a dividing line in society between those that bought property prior to the boom and those that didn't and are now unable to. Or if able to, only by taking on ridiculously large mortgages, further transferring wealth to older age groups and those involved in property investment and taking money away from other provisions like pensions. In the UK housing is no longer about owning a home to live in, it is also being used as an investment vehicle, often to support poor pension provisions. The problem with this is that limited supply really means there is not enough property for everyone to own multiple properties. First-time-buyers, like myself have to go head-to-head with those leveraging money from existing properties to fund further purchases.

David Cameron recently, on his own web site video blog said that he supports buy-to-let as he supports the increase in properties in the private rental sector. How does this help first-time-buyers? Fine, if as a party you support a dramatic increase in house building, but do you?

The only thing the Conservative party talk about it shared ownership. All this does is help support current high prices, in fact it could be argued it would push prices higher. It doesn't and will never help enough people and because rent still has to be paid the costs incurred are still far to high to be classed as reasonable housing costs.

Gordon Brown has just launched the idea of eco friendly 'new towns' but this will never address the problems as it seems building would be in just a few choosen areas. It won't relieve local pressures all over the country. I also question how serious he would be to releiving the housing problem when the success of the Labour party has been built on the back of a 10-year property boom funding consumption and providing economic growth.

Does the Conservative party choose to ignore the plight of those, generally under 30 that are priced out of the UK property market? Does it support a growing wealth divide in the UK and increasing wealth transfer to the older generations via property? Does it expect young people to bring up familes in small flats as these are the only properties within reach, or indeed being built in most areas, particulary areas like Poole. Does the party support 2nd home ownership, where taxation is still lower for 2nd homes when there is already pressure due to lack of supply?

I would be really interested to know whether the Conservative party is actually going to do anything to address this issue. If they are not then we can expect a further divide in society and as one of the 'priced out' generation I will not be compelled to vote Conservative.

Yours sincerely,

..and the reply;

Dear X

Thank you for your recent letter concerning housing. I agree with the points that you make.

There is a gulf between those that own their own homes and those that do not. Housing has been a refuge for money that might have been put in a pension and this has made things worse. The only option I see is to have housing policies that make shared equity a priority so people can get on the housing ladder.

My party currently have a policy review with(sp!) when completed will form the basis for our manifesto I am sure my party will have a lot to say about this then as there will be many thousands of people who will be looking for reassurance that we have there(sp!) interests at heart.

Yours sincerely,

I've also previously written to David Cameron - got a terrible reply and Vince Cable, my old MP who wrote an excellent reply addressing the issues and even mentioned the word 'bust' ;)

The only way to make sure that politicians know this is a problem is to let them know.

www.writetothem.com

Edited by munimula

oh dear, "shared equity" will only keep prices/demand up - and "housing ladder" - how quaint.

i'd only vote tory for law and order policies - they are NOT in control of the money...

Edited by dnd

oh dear,

"shared equity" will only keep prices/demand up

"housing ladder" - how quaint...

Yep sadly it's another cr*p response with only shared equity as the answer to all the problems

The only glimmer of hope is that he says he recognises the problem and that something should come out of the policy review.

To be honest, by the time they've finished their policy review house prices might not be so high :lol:

The only option I see is to have housing policies that make shared equity a priority so people can get on the housing ladder.

So the conservative party thinks shared equity as the answer ?

Would this be shared with a fellow citizen, shared with the bank or shared with the government ?

Will FTB who are looking to start a family shallow this solution If this is the picture of a future britain then I can see strong propaganda being pumped out by government to presude the masses that "shared equity" is okay. Then in 10 years time "shared equity" will be the norm and no one would think of buying a property any other way.

Does anyone have plan to protest against this policy ? Protest as in pieaceful march upon the streets of London, as opposed to protest by simply not involving yourself in such an agreement ? When this policy if finally announced there needs to be sufficient widespread public outcry at the mere thought of such a proposal. Maybe this party policy will also be too little, too late, and not have any effect anyway the earliest they can implement it for a few years. But if you also agree that "shared equity" is not the answer then be sure to make that opinion known to your local conservative MP.

If it is a choice between shared equity and a correction, I'm up for a correction. Would you buy half a house in the UK or buy a whole house in another western country ?

Experience shows shared equity is a bad idea. Think of all the couples who decide to get married/shack up/have kids and intend to spend their lives together. Many still split and end up selling off the house etc. If its like this for people who love each other, how the hell will shared ownership between mates, acquaintances, and strangers work?

If it's a scheme to share equity with the government, that's like having a council house where part of your rent goes towards buying a bit of the house.

I might consider that.

If it's just a big database to get multiple buyers living together, well, that's just a recipe for black pudding.

You know...

'take a gallon of blood...'

David Cameron recently, on his own web site video blog said that he supports buy-to-let as he supports the increase in properties in the private rental sector. How does this help first-time-buyers?

What makes you think DC would give a monkey about FTB’ers? His housing VI spokesman, Michael Gove, has been fighting to scrap HIPs for months on the behalf of VI.

The only option I see is to have housing policies that make shared equity a priority so people can get on the housing ladder.

:P

Tories would make more money than Mr Bean if they were comedians!

If it's a scheme to share equity with the government, that's like having a council house where part of your rent goes towards buying a bit of the house.

I might consider that.

If it's just a big database to get multiple buyers living together, well, that's just a recipe for black pudding.

You know...

'take a gallon of blood...'

It's a scheme were you finance a percentage of the property with your own mortgage (your part) and the rest you pay rent on

Generally therefore housing costs are not much cheaper but YOU have to pay to maintain the house

The biggest problem is that it actually supports house prices to some extent but really if you can't afford 100% of a property you shouldn't be buying

Somehow I'm less than surprised. The Conservatives have no policies, at all, whatsoever. And an ineffective opposition is an enemy of democracy.

Yep, all these years on and I still find myself in political limbo land.

What I hate most about Tories now is that it reminds me so much of New Labour in 1997, a cheesy front man fronting no substance

I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 50+ when I'm in the generation that votes and actually counts. If we are still priced out then something might finally get done

Original email sent to my local MP;

..and the reply;

I've also previously written to David Cameron - got a terrible reply and Vince Cable, my old MP who wrote an excellent reply addressing the issues and even mentioned the word 'bust' ;)

The only way to make sure that politicians know this is a problem is to let them know.

www.writetothem.com

Well Done!

I do hope you are going to respond to his letter asking why you, or anyone else, should have to accept that all you can afford to buy is a PART of a tiny flat. Surely everyone has a right to that most basic human requirement - shelter?

Why should the supply of property be limited to make it absurdly expensive?

Why in a market with legally regulated supply, should some people be allowed to own more than one property?

Point out the argument about a mobile workforce is specious. That if buying and selling houses were made easier (cue HIPs :unsure::lol: ) and the exchequer did not extract billions from stamp duty - then people who needed to move house for work would be able to do so easily without having to feather the pension of a BTL landlord.

I'd also point out that a lot of your contemporaries are becoming progressively angrier about this issue, that you don't want to spend the rest of your lives with a 250k mortgage so that some baby boomer can retire and live off the money you are going to have work all your life for to pay back.

Gee him or her up a bit. As you so rightly say, if they don't know how the younger generation feel about this they won't realise the potential consequences. Point out the average FTB is now 34 - that means a huge slice of the electorate from 18-34 are priced out. Tell them the party that alienates this group will never win power.

oh dear, "shared equity" will only keep prices/demand up - and "housing ladder" - how quaint.

i'd only vote tory for law and order policies - they are NOT in control of the money...

Shared equity with friends and strangers usually ends up in disaster. During the last housing boom in the late 80s I knew a few people who did this. All ended up in disaster. One instance a friend bought with two others to get on the ladder, so there were 3 of them. The challenge comes when personal problems get in the way, one has a job loss and defaults on the mortgage. In one instance the person just disappears. The most successful options were with family e.g parents buying 1/2 the house. Its seems we repeat ourselves in these cyclic bubbles.

Well it seems both sides want to offer artificial support to the market,Labour want to reintroduce MIRAS and the Tories want shared ownership initiatives.That's the wisdom you get from boomer politicians sat at the top of a housing pyramid....they have the furtherest to fall,especially Tony with his 4 million BTL portfolio.

Maybe we should call them McPoliticians - they look reasonably palatable in the photo but take a closer look and they're actually full of noxious unpleasant useless poison

Somehow I'm less than surprised. The Conservatives have no policies, at all, whatsoever. And an ineffective opposition is an enemy of democracy.

The problem they have is that NuLabour are the Tories.

Either the housing market is expensive because it is a bubble the Tories can not do anything. It will burst on its own sooner or later.

However if it is because of lack of supply there are only 3 options see my sig.

I think that it will burst but even afterwards prices will still be high and rents will rise too unless the supply/demand problems are solved.

The problem they have is that NuLabour are the Tories.

That's very true.

Really we should stop thinking of Tories and Labour as different. The policies of each party can no longer be differentiated by left and right thinking.

All that will happen now is party A gets into power and eventually the electorate gets tired of them so party B gets elected to power and the electorate tire of them and so it will go on....neither party needs to radically change their policies, they just need to sit patiently and wait for their turn.

So we just carry on not voting as no party deserves our votes.