House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LargelyIgnorant

Government Considers £1bn Sale Of Waterways

Even canal boats aren't safe: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle1832318.ece

The Government is considering a billion pound-plus sale of the country’s canals and waterways.

British Waterways, the government-controlled body responsible for 2,200 miles of canals and rivers in the UK, is running a beauty parade of banks with a view to kick-starting a strategic review in the summer. The review will examine all options for the business, including a sale of all or parts of the portfolio, a possible stock market listing or other partnership or funding structures.

A sale could raise as much as £1 billion for the Treasury.

British Waterways is sitting on a property goldmine that includes all the towpaths and land alongside the canals. The company last valued its portfolio at more than £500 million, but that figure could more than double over the coming years as it shares the spoils of housing and office regeneration schemes on its land.

So who'd buy it?

How do you make money? They need constant maintenance to stay in good working order - there aren't enough boats to keep them going.

What else did he say he was going to sell off the other day?

So who'd buy it?

How do you make money? They need constant maintenance to stay in good working order - there aren't enough boats to keep them going.

What else did he say he was going to sell off the other day?

You answered your own question. They wont stay in good working order as they wont be maintained. they will eventually fill them in and build BTL hutches on them.

:lol:

British Waterways is sitting on a property goldmine

Do a little jig because we struck gold!

Bring in the bulldozers, cement, and bricks.

I really hate this f*cking government. WTF am I paying my taxes for? What do I get back? F*ck all. I mean honestly are they going to start to sell laybys off soon? Already happening no doubt.

We going to have to pay for bins to be collected? Don't we do that already?

Pay as you go driving? Um the more petrol I use the tax you get Gordy you dumb f*ck.

Using green issues to bleed the last bit of money out off us while you have no intention of using it to solve pollution problems.

Labour do us all a favour and slit your own throats you are paralysing this country.