House Price Crash Forum

Iran Tensions Send Price Of Crude Upwards

HOLA441
I am not going to debate these points. The point of my original post was to show that that the statement that you made that Iran has refused the IAEA access was clearly false. By the way I have replace that second link which doesn't work to one from MSNBC which is showing the exact same story

Best,

L

My own personal belief is not FALSE thank you! " I believe "

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Why doesn't the Iranian Government pursue Solar power tower stations you have to ask yourself?

Probably the same reasons we will go to nuclear power and not solar!!. When the oil runs out we will need nuclear power and it is morally wrong not to allow a country access to this source of power. If the USA does not allow it then I would seriously question their motives.

We all have enough nuclear wepons to blow the whole planet to kindom come so a few more wont matter, let them have the power stations.

Edited by Doom Lord

HOLA444
How easy was it to fit the LPG kit?

A long weekend's work, with two engineering PhDs holding my hand! Basically what it involves is fitting the gas tank in the boot, replacing the engine management computer, fitting the regulator, the LPG injector system and fitting the wiring and pipe work needed to interface the LPG fuel system with the petrol fuel system. The complexity of this depends a lot on the individual car, which is why 'off the shelf' conversions can cost anything from around £1,200 (simple, petrol engined car with the relevant parts easy to get at) to £2,500 (complex, turbocharged engine; you need to completely strip the top end to install the injectors, etc.). The hardware is the same; the differential is purely in labour costs. The hardware itself costs between £400-500. If you're doing a DIY conversion you also need to get it certified by an LPGA approved installer (cost around £100). Your insurer will need that certificate for your policy to be valid.

I did the sums quite carefully before starting out with this, and came to the conclusion that LPG makes sense if (i) you have a big - as in 30mpg or less on petrol - car and do over 15k miles a year, or have an average (35mpg) car and do more than 17-18k miles. Under 10k miles and it doesn't make any sense investing in fuel saving technology, because fuel costs are too small a proportion of overall motoring costs. Between 10-15k miles, diesel is probably your best bet. Above 15k miles a year, the increased maintenance costs of a diesel engine start make the mechanically simpler petrol engine, but converted to run on LPG, an attractive proposition. For my 2-litre Mondeo, the LPG conversion took around 6 months to pay for itself based on 25k miles a year, 37mpg, LPG at 42p/litre and petrol at 90p.

No complaints with mine so far, though as LPG is popular in Yorkshire a lot of filling stations sell it. It's harder to find down south.

HOLA445

Need anymore evidence that the tide has turned, Shermanhater?

Israel is no superpower, its protectors are, and when the Zionist elements of the US Government have been fully cauterised out, Israel will be revealed for the impotent little pustule it is.

HOLA446
Need anymore evidence that the tide has turned, Shermanhater?

Israel is no superpower, its protectors are, and when the Zionist elements of the US Government have been fully cauterised out, Israel will be revealed for the impotent little pustule it is.

I'd disagree with you on that point. Israel is the military superpower in region. They proved this conclusively in the 6 day war of 1967 when they decisively kicked the butts of the three arab countries that attacked them. They had no assistance from the US then other than supplies I believe. The arab countries were receiving assistance from the Soviets.

Israel has nukes.

As I've already stated I have mixed views on the Israel/Palestinian issue and see wrong on both sides but there is no doubt that Israel is the regions military superpower. If they weren't, they would no longer exist.

HOLA447
I'd disagree with you on that point. Israel is the military superpower in region. They proved this conclusively in the 6 day war of 1967 when they decisively kicked the butts of the three arab countries that attacked them. They had no assistance from the US then other than supplies I believe. The arab countries were receiving assistance from the Soviets.

Israel has nukes.

As I've already stated I have mixed views on the Israel/Palestinian issue and see wrong on both sides but there is no doubt that Israel is the regions military superpower. If they weren't, they would no longer exist.

Yep, I see what you mean.

The reason I see it as a paper tiger is because they were impotent against Hezbollah even with all the Spy sattelite help and US air support and IMHO I don't see them being able to last long if they were invaded on all sides with a million utterly determined guerilla fighters fighting to get all palestinian land back. With the fury in the Muslim and Arab-Christian world hardening to a utterly determined sense of duty to uproot this cancer, the Zionists' days are numbered.

HOLA448

Israel is unsustainable due to its demographics; within its boarders its roughly 20% Arab, 30% ultra orthodox and 50% liberal jews, the problem for them is the liberals, the ones that fight in the military and hold most key positions in the economy are failing to have enough children, the night life there is great I’m told for single people, while the Arabs and the ultra orthodox have large families.

On the subject; better get used to the UK loosing Northern Island in the future also.

HOLA449

The reason I see it as a paper tiger is because they were impotent against Hezbollah even with all the Spy sattelite help and US air support and IMHO I don't see them being able to last long if they were invaded on all sides with a million utterly determined guerilla fighters fighting to get all palestinian land back. With the fury in the Muslim and Arab-Christian world hardening to a utterly determined sense of duty to uproot this cancer, the Zionists' days are numbered.

It's difficult to see how Israel will be able to continue it's illegal (UN) occupation of other people's countries once the US is no longer the world's leading superpower and perhaps no longer in a position to give such massive financial & military support. China won't care because Israel doesn't have any oil - they are essentially mercantile non-interventionists; Israel has pissed off so many Arabs that they're going to be in trouble without heavyweight support.

HOLA4410
Guest AuntJess
Is anywhere in Britain (excluding motorway services, etc.) now over the £1/litre barrier as an average? We're not far off now oop north - £35 to fill the lickle Rover :unsure:

£48 to fill my mondeo. :(

HOLA4411

Possibly. They were invaded on all sides before. I believe there were almost 500,000 arab troops involved in the attack not to mention thousands of Arabian tanks and aircraft. The Israelis were massively outnumbered and yet inflicted huge losses on these three arab countries while sustaining very small losses themselves. I would not underestimate any nation fighting for their very survival.

I have no wish to see Israel destroyed, they have as much right to exist as anybody else.

Don't forget that:

1. Israel were being shelled regulary from the occupied territories prior to capturing them in the 6 day war.

2. Israel offered to return all the occupied territories after the 6 day war if the arabs would recognise their existence and agree to peace. The arabs refused. Now why would Israel give back the occupied territories so they could be used strategically by their enemies to attack them in the coming 'War of Attrition'?

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

HOLA4412

Petrol to hit £1 a litre within weeks as oil supply strains show

· Nigerian strike and Iran worries add to pressure

· Concern over US stocks as demand nears peak

Larry Elliott, economics editor

Friday May 25, 2007

The Guardian

Petrol prices were on course last night to break the pound-a-litre barrier after the cost of crude oil on global markets rose to its highest level this year.

With the US navy putting on a show of strength off the Iranian coast and oil workers in Nigeria launching an indefinite strike, a barrel of Brent crude was trading for almost $72 last night - up more than a dollar on the day and within six dollars of last summer's record $78.40.

Industry experts in the UK said motorists - already paying an average 97p a litre on forecourts - could expect to be paying £1 or more within six weeks.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2087711,00.html

HOLA4413

http://www.itv.com/news/world_1224813d72c9...82095211d6.html

British oil workers kidnapped in Nigeria

11.55, Fri May 25 2007

Two Britons were among six oil workers kidnapped from a pipe-laying vessel off Nigeria's coast.

The rest of the group was made up of three Americans and a South African, industry sources said.

Shots were fired during the abduction by suspected militants in two speed boats off the coast of the southern state of Bayelsa.

HOLA4414
£48 to fill my mondeo. :(

Price of oil goes in the right direction from a green point of view.

Let's face it, I won't stop using my car to drive to work before the price

of petrol has tripled from here. Even worse, the bus fare will triple as well,

so, where are all these electric buses and trams we will be needing?

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
And not to forget the humane treatment of our sailors.

they confiscated the poor bugger's IPOD!!!...how is THAT humane????

.....attatching electrodes to his B0ll0cks would have been all fair and above board.

...but THAT was cruel,barbaric and in breach of the geneva convention!!! :P

HOLA4417

Some people say the war in Iraq was for cheap oil. I don't know about that, its a theory I guess. But here are some facts :

We invade a sovereign country uninvited to so.

We use the pretence of weapons of mass destruction, later found out to be at best inccurate and at worst blatent lies.

We patrol their streets like an occupying force.

We kill them when they disagree with our self imposed right to be there.

We take their oil and pay them a pitance of its real worth and then charge the folks (us) back home a fortune for it, making someone rich in the process.

We install a puppet regime over in Iraq that no-one is happy with and cause a civil war and an all out insurrection.

Top shelf and the few respected members of the Labour party such as Robin Cook and others resign their posts in protest.

3 -4 years on our lads are putting their lives on the line for what ?

Well, Mr Blair "It was the right thing to do". That will be a quote in history and you have made the history books not a a Prime Mininster who brokered a deal for peace in Northern Ireland which we are ll gratefull for, but for the mess in Iraq.

Iran is obviously insecure in its ability to defend itself, when its enemy and neirbour was invaded so easily. If I was in Government in Westminster and I saw Iraqi Storm Troops walkijng down the Champ Elsiee (or however you spell it), then I would be, well jittery with my oil supply that inevitably suplies any tanks and ships coming to put a cap in my ass next.

Whatever happened to the road map for peace in the middle east, did someone just say "Not viable".

Dear or dear.

HOLA4418
There's a thing. All Virgin Trains between Birmingham and Manchester run on electrified lines, but are diesel powered. Progress, I guess :rolleyes:

that's because they continue on to the South West - beyond birmingham going to Bristol Exeter etc it isn't electrified.

what would you suggest they do then to achieve progress?

HOLA4419
that's because they continue on to the South West - beyond birmingham going to Bristol Exeter etc it isn't electrified.

what would you suggest they do then to achieve progress?

Do virgin trains run on electricity from above power lines or from diesel ?

I was under the impression they were either one or the other.

HOLA4420

and the extra electicity

HOLA4421
Do virgin trains run on electricity from above power lines or from diesel ?

I was under the impression they were either one or the other.

There are 2 separate franchises for Virgin Trains - Virgin West Coast and Virgin Cross Country. Virgin WC operates mainly electric Pendolino units between London Euston and Wolverhampton, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow. There's also 1 electric service per day from Euston to Edinburgh via Carstairs.

Virgin Cross Country operates between Scotland and S / SW England via Birmingham New Street and uses primarily Virgin Voyager diesel units. The diesel sections include York to Bristol, Exeter etc, via Birmingham, Birmingham to South Coast via Oxford and Reading, Birmingham to Cardiff, Edinburgh to Dundee / Aberdeen and the relatively short section from Manchester to Leyland via Bolton. There is some overlap i.e. it's quite possible for Virgin XC to operate the route between Birmingham and Edinburgh via Preston and Carstairs using electric Pendolinos (and I've seen them working this route).

The logical step would be for electric units to be operated on long distance routes wherever route is electrified but this would require a change of trains, usually at Birmingham New Streeet - passenger user groups prefer a through service hence less efficient operation of diesels under electric wires. I've see reports that duel power diesel / electric units are used in some countries and maybe that is way forward pending further large scale electrification. Example of current duel working in UK are Eurostar and First Capital Connect (Thameslink) - both switch between 750V DC 3rd rail and 25KV AC overhead power supply.

HOLA4422
There are 2 separate franchises for Virgin Trains - Virgin West Coast and Virgin Cross Country. Virgin WC operates mainly electric Pendolino units between London Euston and Wolverhampton, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow. There's also 1 electric service per day from Euston to Edinburgh via Carstairs.

Virgin Cross Country operates between Scotland and S / SW England via Birmingham New Street and uses primarily Virgin Voyager diesel units. The diesel sections include York to Bristol, Exeter etc, via Birmingham, Birmingham to South Coast via Oxford and Reading, Birmingham to Cardiff, Edinburgh to Dundee / Aberdeen and the relatively short section from Manchester to Leyland via Bolton. There is some overlap i.e. it's quite possible for Virgin XC to operate the route between Birmingham and Edinburgh via Preston and Carstairs using electric Pendolinos (and I've seen them working this route).

The logical step would be for electric units to be operated on long distance routes wherever route is electrified but this would require a change of trains, usually at Birmingham New Streeet - passenger user groups prefer a through service hence less efficient operation of diesels under electric wires. I've see reports that duel power diesel / electric units are used in some countries and maybe that is way forward pending further large scale electrification. Example of current duel working in UK are Eurostar and First Capital Connect (Thameslink) - both switch between 750V DC 3rd rail and 25KV AC overhead power supply.

zceb90 you are wasted in your line of work. You should print "Sleeping cards" for Hallmark. Seriously, this post is printed as we speak. I have no idea what your talking about and I tried to read it seven times. You could be a millionaire by the end of the year. I was genuinly drowsy.

HOLA4423

Bus fare shouldn't do anything like tripling. Actually maintaining the bus and paying the driver is a fairly hefty part of the fare, I'd expect closer to doubling for a tripling cost of fuel. Maybe even holding still, if enough people move over to buses...

Having never learnt to drive, I'm feeling remarkably smug (right up until the post office put prices for deliveries through the roof, anyway).

HOLA4424
or a 3rd: Iran becomes another Iraq, with bombings and terrorism every day, and this spreading across to other countries in the region.

or a 4th.

Iran does a pre-emptive strike on israel,leaving israel free to retaliate without looking like the aggressor.

or a 5th.

another terrorist type event multipled by a faxtor of X,to get the west on-side for the big one.

I don't know which.The former stokes the inflation argument.

the latter concurs with Kondrattieff wave theory.

HOLA4425
Bus fare shouldn't do anything like tripling. Actually maintaining the bus and paying the driver is a fairly hefty part of the fare, I'd expect closer to doubling for a tripling cost of fuel. Maybe even holding still, if enough people move over to buses...

That's good to know. Although the bus driver might need to earn a little more as well to pay for his gas and petrol bills at home.

But in general, public transport will rule the future. This is why Warren Buffet bought train lines recently, if you ask me. As for electricity,

I guess we'd have to rely on nuclear and renewable.

Edited by Goldfinger