House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Iran Tensions Send Price Of Crude Upwards

Oil prices rose Wednesday on concerns about escalating tensions between the US and Iran. The Americans insisting that Iran stop all nuclear enrichment activity, and it rejected a compromise put forward by the UN nuclear watchdog to end the impasse between the two.

Something is going to kick off in that delightful part of the world: it's just a question of what, when and the extent to which it destabilises the world economy.

I suspect that the what is a military confrontation, and the when is later rather than sooner. There is less than zero military support in the US for attacking Iran now, and no European country is going to (especially as Iran has close political and economic ties to Russia, with all the energy supply implications that involves). The ayatollahs (the real ones, I mean!) know this full well, hence that stunt with the Royal Navy sailors last month. But, Ahmedinejad has expressed the desire to wipe Israel off the map, and Israel has responded with threats of pre-emptive action. In the short term, Britain and the US will start pulling out of Iraq. Precisely when and in what numbers is anyone's guess, but as with Vietnam US public opinion is hardening against continued engagement, there's a presidential election next year, and the US can't rely on unequivocal British support once Blair's gone. Iran will continue to develop its nuclear infrastructure until, I'd guess, they're very nearly at the point of having a viable bomb. At that point, Israel will tell the US that if it doesn't sort Iran out, they will. In the meantime, Iraq will stumble on as a collection of feudal mini-states, functioning as a country in name only, and a backdrop of dwindling supplies and political/military conflicts will gradually ratchet up the oil price. Sorry to be boring, but I suspect that in the next few years, the effect on British consumers will be gradual energy price inflation rather than a single, cataclysmic shock.

Of course, when the Israel/Iran confrontation does finally come, I hope we've got a nice line in biofuel, renewables and new nuclear power stations going. Put it this way: we're going to need a lot of Dave's windmills to avoid a quick trip back to the Victorian era if the energy crisis that would result from Israel and Iran nuking each other ever comes to pass. If that happens, house prices will be the least of our problems.

But, Ahmedinejad has expressed the desire to wipe Israel off the map, and Israel has responded with threats of pre-emptive action.

He hasn't actually. He said that he hopes that the current regime in Jerusalem would disappear.

Peter.

Of course, when the Israel/Iran confrontation does finally come, I hope we've got a nice line in biofuel, renewables and new nuclear power stations going. Put it this way: we're going to need a lot of Dave's windmills to avoid a quick trip back to the Victorian era if the energy crisis that would result from Israel and Iran nuking each other ever comes to pass. If that happens, house prices will be the least of our problems.

I don't think it will come to pass, Israel will never tolerate a nuclear Iran. They will lauch attacks on Iran probably sooner rather than later. This is why America is moving so much kit down that way, to be ready to support them if need be.

The really big question is how will Iran respond.

I reckon two scenarios:

1. Iran gets bombed back to the stone age, temporary oil spike, everything settles down, business as usual.

2. Iran gets bombed back to the stone age, they retaliate big time, other countries get involved (perhaps Russia) and things start to really get out of hand...

Looks like they are giving the US a good invitation to escalate operations

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2085195,00.html

That article is a propaganda piece. If you look carefully, it is based almost entirely on quotes from unnamed "US officials". There is no hard, third-party audited evidence that Iran is involved with the insurgency in Iraq

Best,

L

Guest grumpy-old-man
But wait, wasn't the price of oil supposed to fall and reduce the rate of inflation? <_<

I know, it's hilarious isn't it. :lol:

these people are ruining running the country. :blink: you might as well put your hand in a fookin lucky bag & pull out the cpi & rpi figures, as that's what they do.

Well, the problem is that because Iraq has been such an unmitigated disaster, the American and British public wouldn't accept any sort of GROUND incursion into Iran though strikes from the air are feasible.

I'd say that Israel are very likely, barring an Iranian progressive revolution, to launch targeted air strikes. It's all very simple; a nuclear Iran isn't acceptable to Israel so it's either Iran back down or the bombings begin in 2009?

All of this won't affect the looming worldwide recession (2008-11) one jot, but it should provide some solid entertainment on the 10 o clock news.

That's what I like about Israel; they don't take any cr*p from all these lily-livered, decadent and debauched Europeans. Their sole priority is the defence of its citizens - period. If only the UK were more like them.

I'd say that Israel are very likely, barring an Iranian progressive revolution, to launch targeted air strikes. It's all very simple; a nuclear Iran isn't acceptable to Israel so it's either Iran back down or the bombings begin in 2009?

I don't see why not. They did it to Iraq in 1981, when they bombed the Osirak reactor.

That's what I like about Israel; they don't take any cr*p from all these lily-livered, decadent and debauched Europeans. Their sole priority is the defence of its citizens - period. If only the UK were more like them.

Beating up our neighbors to the extent they all want to kill you is not the best way to run a state, I doubt Israel will see its centenary..

Demographics alone spell out the fate of Israel.

I don't think it will come to pass, Israel will never tolerate a nuclear Iran. They will lauch attacks on Iran probably sooner rather than later.

Its high time Israel in its present form is destroyed and replaced by a state that recognises all the people as equals and not one law for the Jews (as "chosen" ones) and another for the Muslims and Christians.

Its only a matter of time.

All Zionists, who by definition are Rabidly Racist, are finding they can no longer spew out their B.S. without being laughed at and ignored by the vast majority of people in this world, whatever their background. People all over the world have woken up and recognised the terrible injustice these cancerous people have inflicted upon the world.

A world without Israel = A world without strife.

Since its murderous inception, Israel has only been able to exist with American Money. Every brick and Plant is paid for by the American people. The difference now is that Ordinary Americans are realising how long they have been duped, and a significan number are now openly hostile to the Zionist Entity. When these people rise to the top, Israel will have to fend for itself. Which is going to be hilarious.

Guest mattsta1964
That article is a propaganda piece. If you look carefully, it is based almost entirely on quotes from unnamed "US officials". There is no hard, third-party audited evidence that Iran is involved with the insurgency in Iraq

Best,

L

I agree.

The supposed evidence of Iranian complicity has probably been planted by the CIA to give the NeoCons the pretext they require to start......YET ANOTHER war. We are expected to believe that the shaped charge explosive devices and RPG launchers cropping up in Iraq have been imported by Iran. Sorry, but I just refuse to accept this explaination just because the madia say so. Where is the REAL evidence that this is what is actually happening. For the sake of our salvation, I would urge everyone to take what the media is being told to tell us with a huge dose of salt. Personally, i don't believe a word they say anymore about domestic OR foreign policy.

Bush has also passed into a law giving him the power to declare a state of emergency and to declare martial law. He can become dictator at the click of a mouse button. The American people are beginning to realize just how dangerous the NeoCons are thanks to the courageous efforts of Ron Paul and the independent (for now...) internet media.

Bush is the most dangerous man on the planet in my opinion.

... but it should provide some solid entertainment on the 10 o clock news.

That is pure Zionist Evil being spewed right there.

F**k you for saying Europeans are Lily livered just because we dont bomb the crap out of defenceless people and driving them insane by keeping all their taxes and deliberately stealing thier land and water.

We aren't debauched you Zionist-Jew Retard. We hate people like you to our core. People like you are the reason there is no Peace in the whole world. Divide and conquer is all you try to devise so you can keep Goyims money like your extremist bent on your own religion teaches you.

We are waking up you inbred C**t and we are going to make you pay.

Guest mattsta1964

F**k you for saying Europeans are Lily livered just because we dont bomb the crap out of defenceless people and driving them insane by keeping all their taxes and deliberately stealing thier land and water.

We aren't debauched you Zionist-Jew Retard. We hate people like you to our core. People like you are the reason there is no Peace in the whole world. Divide and conquer is all you try to devise so you can keep Goyims money like your extremist bent on your own religion teaches you.

The language of fascism!

Don't sit on the fence, say what you mean!

How reassuring it is to see that after a few months away from this forum, the neo-Nazis, Jew haters and conspiracy theorists are still around to post at a moment's notice :blink:

I don't see why not. They did it to Iraq in 1981, when they bombed the Osirak reactor.

I think you may find that US pilots have flown F15s with Israeli markings in the past.

How reassuring it is to see that after a few months away from this forum, the neo-Nazis, Jew haters and conspiracy theorists are still around to post at a moment's notice :blink:

Not unlike seeing the same old Zionist Racists trying their best to hold back the tide and justify their support for a Murderous peoples.

We aren't cowardly in the slightest. The cowards are the ones that get others to do the fighting for them.

Evidence please?

Theres plenty of hard evidence of Israel ignoring UN demands and Evidence of it stealing water and Land and murdering people, Theres far too much to list here but you probably dont need it, you've probably been involved at some point.