House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Fears Over Food Price Inflation

Retail food prices are heading for their biggest annual increase in as much as 30 years, raising fears that the world faces an unprecedented period of food price inflation

lol ive been telling people for months about this

The UK’s consumer price index showed annual food price inflation of 6 per cent in April – its highest level in almost six years, and well ahead of overall inflation of 2.8 per cent. Food price inflation is lower in the eurozone at 2.5 per cent but still rising more quickly than overall prices.

In China, food costs are increasing more than twice as quickly as other kinds of prices, up 7.1 per cent last month compared to a year earlier. And in India, annual food price inflation has reached its highest levels since the late 1990s, climbing above 10 per cent year-on-year.

US research firm Bernstein estimates that its Food Commodities index, which tracks a dozen agricultural raw materials used by food companies including wheat, barley, milk, cocoa and edible oils, will show cost

inflation of 21 per cent this year – the biggest increase since the index started almost a decade ago.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7f8bccb8-0960-11dc...0b5df10621.html

Edited by crash2006

Plant local food ! Put fruit trees in your local parks - campaign to your councils to do this.

Get an allottment.

Ask for more allottments.

And soon they will be commanding agricultural land is turned over to growing biofuels. One analyst has estimated that if George Bush's ill-thought-out targets for the amount of US energy to come from this source are ever met, all the country's food production will have to be turned over to fuel crops in the next 15 years. What a GREAT idea...

holy crap - after seeing that whistleblower prog on BBC last night I'd be happy to pay more not to be sold fish cut with a rusty knife used to open a drain cover, previously used to cut open an out of date chicken or remove a maggot from its ar*e.

Problem is - I'm not sure its possible. I'm gonna starve :o

lol ive been telling people for months about this

inflation of 21 per cent this year – the biggest increase since the index started almost a decade ago.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7f8bccb8-0960-11dc...0b5df10621.html

lol, I've been telling people for years about this. :o

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...&hl=farming

post Oct 22 2005, 02:25 PM

I've metioned farming a few times, in the UK machinery investment and tractor sales are well down. Also mentioned fertilizer prices before. Why, well it looked as if their was beginning to be a bit of a problem building up.

Funny how banks will bank-roll the property bubble with almost zero risk premium loans but seem to judge all other forms of production and commerce in an altogether different lilght.

Could be a good time to switch to food rather than gold, everybody gotta eat! Yet another source of inflation.

For what we are about to receive, or not as the case may be, blame the bankers.

There was something on GMTV this morning about tomatos and other food goods being up 40%

Yet inflation is still only 2.8% yer right!!!

Edit: The MPC will ignore this, and hope next year the rise is only 37% compared to last years meaning -3% on the year, sweet!!!!

Edited by OzzMosiz

Plant local food ! Put fruit trees in your local parks - campaign to your councils to do this.

Get an allottment.

Ask for more allottments.

Just got my allotment. 10 quid a year. Lovely.

F

Just got my allotment. 10 quid a year. Lovely.

F

It will be the best 10 quid you have ever spent, and enjoy the best food you have ever tasted.

Just a couple of examples

Long life storage orange juice was 57p a litre in 2005 then 72p until about April this year, now 88p in most supermarkets

Own-brand jam tarts, 38p last year until March, now 49p in most supermarkets

Milk has gone up by about 5p a pint in 12 months

Tin of chopped tomatoes up from 14p a tin to 19p and 21p a tin in many supermarkets

Own-brand tea in some supermarkets has gone down by a couple of pence in some supermarkets to about 40p for 40 bags

Petrol high again

My gas bill was high again

My council tax is sky high compared to 5 years ago

Edited by The Last Bear

unfortunately no-one's opinion counts unless you are an "expert" :angry:

you're very right there as proved by the program last night called 'Houses from Hell".

A group of new houses in Farringdon flooded severely and the flood waters didn't disappear until 6 months later. When the planning application for the new houses was applied, many residents in the area protested and wrote letters saying the houses shouldn't be built as the plot of land was notorious for flooding since the 1800's and has even the nickname of Chase Lake.

But the council ignored locals saying that 'experts' said the area and drainage was adequate.

And they were proved wrong and ruined these people lives :(