House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Upstairski Downstairski

I know of quite average middle class families who now have whole sets of cleaners, au pairs & builders for their houses from Eastern European countries, which they did not have before.

IMO, It seem to be becoming like a new servant culture reminiscent of the Victorian and Edwardian era in which particular networks of service providers are replaced by those from a specific neighbouring group of countries, fuelled by cheap labour and social acceptability.

Services related to the home seem to be particularly targeted.

Does anyone else see this trend becoming more common ?

The 'time poor' families with large mortgage payments are likely to do it from my observations and often had some of these services provided previously by a wider selection of ethnic groups.

.....For those too young to remember the ITV Edwardian drama series 'Upstairs Downstairs'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMSDZlesrMc

I know of quite average middle class families who now have whole sets of cleaners, au pairs & builders for their houses from Eastern European countries, which they did not have before.

IMO, It seem to be becoming like a new servant culture reminiscent of the Victorian and Edwardian era in which particular networks of service providers are replaced by those from a specific neighbouring group of countries, fuelled by cheap labour and social acceptability.

The 'time poor' families with large mortgage payments are likely to do it from my observations and often had some of these services provided previously by a wider selection of ethnic groups.

.....For those too young to remember the ITV Edwardian drama series 'Upstairs Downstairs'

Possibly you have a good point.

I was musing with my uncle the other day while dining in Mayfair (plutocrat-ville) that present boom is actually more like what happened in the 1920s than the 80s - economically and socially.

.....and we all know what happened after that decade of excess. People throwing themselves off building, soup kitchens, mass unemployment and ultimately a world war <_<

Everything changes, yet nothing changes.

but unlike servants of yesteryear, I think the people from abroad doing these jobs are setting themselves up quite nicely for when they return home / set up home here.

I know a couple of people in that category (the "foreigners") who are basically working every minute available and sending home money to set themselves up a nice home back there.

one is polish, one is french and the other is australian.....!!!

Possibly you have a good point.

I was musing with my uncle the other day while dining in Mayfair (plutocrat-ville) that present boom is actually more like what happened in the 1920s than the 80s - economically and socially.

.....and we all know what happened after that decade of excess. People throwing themselves off building, soup kitchens, mass unemployment and ultimately a world war <_<

Everything changes, yet nothing changes.

Totally agree. I lived in London in the 1980s - now is much different in flavour. Then it was largely UK money that was being earned in the City from real investment activity after the Thatcher deregulation and privatisation.

Now it is international money earned on a wave of easy credit. Soup kitchens are already here with Polish workers basically living rough and using soup kitchens designed for homeless people. Mass unemployment certainly will happen and perhaps tensions in the Gulf and between China/Russia/USA will develop into some kind of proxy conflict through a trade war or perhaps over Iran - a 1 Megaton airburst at 500 ft over Bushehr would kick it off nicely.

Edited by Wad

Anyone who works and is not at the top of the corporate food chain is effectively servant to somebody(a lot of somebodies) in this society. I think it would be a lot more satisfying and fulfillling to be looking after a (rich ) families children, garden, building project or even cleaning their house full time than inserting one tenth part of a widget into a bit of consumer tat in some souless factory or even shifting paperwork around the manament department of that same widget corporation.

Worth bearing in mind that it won't last. People are becoming more and more dependent on these domestic skivvies - usually abusing the law in the process (not adhering to working time/minimum wage/paying tax/ni/employers liability etc). What they don't seem to get is that in a very few years the supply of these (generally) well educated and well mannered folk will dry up, leaving the family with 2 wages worth of mortgage but no capacity to look after the ironing/cooking/cleaning/garden and just occasionally the kids...