House Price Crash Forum

Bank of England May Ir Vote - 9-0 For The Hike!

HOLA441
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest grumpy-old-man

yes, but I have been told by a couple of posters on here that IR's have peaked. ;)

well, well, even Blanchy has voted for a rise, is this the first time he has ?

edited: "The May Inflation Report forecast was conditioned on the market’s expectations of interest rates –

which implied an immediate increase of 25 basis points with a high probability of another rise later in

the year. If the Committee had been reasonably confident about the need for another interest rate rise

soon, then a strong case could have been made for an increase of 50 basis points this month."

oh dear. :lol::lol:

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA446
Guest The_Oldie

From the minutes..

Key downside risks included the interaction of higher short-term interest rates with the

growing domestic debt burden and the possibility of slower growth in the United States triggering a

global slowdown.

HOLA447
The May Inflation Report forecast was conditioned on the market’s expectations of interest rates –

which implied an immediate increase of 25 basis points with a high probability of another rise later in

the year. If the Committee had been reasonably confident about the need for another interest rate rise

soon, then a strong case could have been made for an increase of 50 basis points this month. But those

members who had considered voting for 50 basis points preferred to wait for more data to assess the

impact of past increases in Bank Rate. Some members argued that, given the uncertainties around both

the outlook for inflation and the impact of interest rate changes, it was better to move cautiously. Other

members were concerned that any excessive movement in rates could create downside risks to growth

and so to the medium-term outlook for inflation. The Committee agreed that, should the economy

continue to develop broadly in line with the central expectation, Bank Rate could be raised further as

necessary.

HOLA448

As I have said before in the past, I believe that the interest rate policy of the banking system is to:

Set the interest rates to the highest possible, for as long as possible, on the maximum debt load possible.

This would be the profit-maximising tactic of the banking sector. All the rest of the economics speak is just window dressing

Best,

L

Source: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...mp;#entry513165

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
so what does this actually mean, will this force lower prices , will this stop people paying over the top for property ?

No....it just means that people who have stretched themselves to by a home face financial ruin. Something that some people on this site seem to revel in. :blink:

HOLA4413
Guest The_Oldie
so what does this actually mean, will this force lower prices , will this stop people paying over the top for property ?

It seems to be indicative that interest rates will go higher this year. Higer interest rates will reduce liquidity, thus putting pressure on prices.

HOLA4414

I think this is the most important sentence from the minutes:

The Committee agreed that, should the economy continue to develop broadly in line with the central expectation, Bank Rate could be raised further as necessary.

In other words, the MPC's central projection requires rates to increase, never mind if some of the upside risks develop.

IMHO 6.25% by the end of the year

HOLA4415

The Committee agreed that, should the economy continue to develop broadly in line with the central expectation, Bank Rate could be raised further as necessary.

In other words, the MPC's central projection requires rates to increase, never mind if some of the upside risks develop.

Agreed.

F

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
its a bit spooky Blanchflower voting for a rise

calls to mind the saying "when the last bear turns bull..."

i do hope it doesnt mark the top for rates

Not a chance. The Inflation Report seemed pretty conclusive in that IR's pretty much have to go at least as high as 5.75% - as an absolute minimum.

HOLA4420
No....it just means that people who have stretched themselves to by a home face financial ruin. Something that some people on this site seem to revel in. :blink:

... as opposed to the situation over the last 5 years where people that weren't prepared to fecklessly stretch themselves in the face of possible cost increases caused by the inevitable interest rate rises, constantly faced being denied access to property ownership. Something that smug BTL merchants and their like, as they crowed about "better not miss the boat" etc, seemed to revel in :blink:

This issue has been covered at length on here. A large part of the premise of this site regards the injustice of people who fecklessly take financial risks being constantly bailed out by one of several different mechanisms, artificially suppressed interest rates being but one, while the prudent get punished as a direct result of this, in that the imprudent get to enjoy upsides of many risks while being artifically shielded from the downsides. So while very few (any?) would actually derive any pleasure directly from the personal financial pain about to be suffered by others, they are pleased that finally it looks like the prudent will be rewarded, and risk will once again balance reward.

Edited by Levy process

HOLA4421
... as opposed to the situation over the last 5 years where people that weren't prepared to fecklessly stretch themselves in the face of possible cost increases caused by the inevitable interest rate rises, constantly faced being denied access to property ownership. Something that smug BTL merchants and their like, as they crowed about "better not miss the boat" etc, seemed to revel in :blink:

This issue has been covered at length on here. A large part of the premise of this site regards the injustice of people who fecklessly take financial risks being constantly bailed out by one of several different mechanisms, artificially suppressed interest rates being but one, while the prudent get punished as a direct result of this, in that the imprudent get to enjoy upsides of many risks while being artifically shielded from the downsides. So while very few (any?) would actually derive any pleasure directly from the personal financial pain about to be suffered by others, they are pleased that finally it looks like the prudent will be rewarded, and risk will once again balance reward.

Good post, Levy.

And a unanimous decision - I don't think we've had one of those for a while! This is interesting. Once I've taken in some more caffiene I'll have a go at deciphering those minutes myself.

HOLA4422

Is there any mention of the actual votes for a 0.5 rise? I can't find anything other than:

For some members, the question was whether Bank Rate should be increased by 25 basis

points or whether there was a case for a rise of 50 basis points – given the upside risks to inflation over

the medium term and the buoyant outlook for growth and demand.

If the Committee had been reasonably confident about the need for another interest rate rise

soon, then a strong case could have been made for an increase of 50 basis points this month. But those

members who had considered voting for 50 basis points preferred to wait for more data to assess the

impact of past increases in Bank Rate. Some members argued that, given the uncertainties around both

the outlook for inflation and the impact of interest rate changes, it was better to move cautiously. Other

members were concerned that any excessive movement in rates could create downside risks to growth

and so to the medium-term outlook for inflation. The Committee agreed that, should the economy

continue to develop broadly in line with the central expectation, Bank Rate could be raised further as

necessary.

HOLA4423
Guest grumpy-old-man

me too. :)

HOLA4424
Is there any mention of the actual votes for a 0.5 rise? I can't find anything other than:

no one voted for a .5% rise; some apparently considered it but preferred to wait for more data but theres no mention of how many

HOLA4425