House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

China - Anybody Hear The Sound Of The Penny Dropping?

Paulson is under orders to get some results on trade with China, if he goes back empty-handed there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people, in the senate and moreover millions of US citizens who have been railroaded down the globalist poop chute and have either lost their livelihoods or mortgaged themselves to the hilt for the priviledge of doing so.

Anyway, it looks like the answer from Wu is F U.

US hears blunt trade warning from China

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1837980/posts

Edited by OnlyMe

Paulson is under orders to get some results on trade with China, if he goes back empty-handed there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people, in the senate and moreover millions of US citizens who have been railroaded down the globalist poop chute and have either lost their livelihoods or mortgaged themselves to the hilt for the priviledge of doing so.

Anyway, it looks like the answer from Wu is F U.

US hears blunt trade warning from China

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1837980/posts

Its all sleight of hand. Look at the big bad chinese bogeyman..blame them for what has been an entirely intentional path taken by the Whitehouse over the last 20 yrs

can the US really do anything about it?

Like they realy want to?? Whats going on is intentional, US workers gettting their ar*es kicked, put them in their place, govt working on behalf of and only on the behalf of the elites. So long as they are making money out of it they dont give a sht.

Like they realy want to?? Whats going on is intentional, US workers gettting their ar*es kicked, put them in their place, govt working on behalf of and only on the behalf of the elites. So long as they are making money out of it they dont give a sht.

Yes--and add to the workers who are losing their manufacturing jobs our own country. China is not a healthy situation for the global economy. The imbalances being created are setting the world up for Great Depression 2. IMO things will start to get ugly when the Chinese SM corrects again as the Shanghai Shakeout of a few months ago was just a warning. With millions of Chinese working themselves into a stock frenzy pushing up indexes 80% YtD watch out.

Time for a mass consumer boyucott: But Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese and Indian and leave the Chinese stuff on the shelves. Problem with this is that it seems like 76.47% of all manufactured goods we buy are made in the People's Republic! :o

They could stick large import duties on Chinese manufactured goods. The political fallout from that would be interesting, to say the least.

yep - much lobbying is already going on for this to happen. Tarriffs are already implemented on chinese paper imports, but a 27% tarriff on all chines imports is being suggested.

Not just the political fallout but remember when the "smoot-hawley" tarriffs were implemented? - Right near the start of the great depression, the fallout from smoot-hawley helped create a worldwide depression.

And tarriffs on Chinese goods = more inflation. Oh dear, a bad situation is going to get even worse!

There must be at least 20 cruise missiles heading for the world economy from every direction - this game really hasn't got long to run. Lets hope the fall out doesn't last 50 years but I suspect it might. Interesting times...

Edited by House of Lords

yep, interesting times ahead. Just watch what's in your food...

China has been caught shipping poisonous toothpaste into the US recently, as well as other contaminated foodstuffs which is creating a public outcry in the US. However, the US also exports a lot of crops and processed food to china.

The US is screwed if they do introduce tariffs, screwed if they dont.

That Chinese toothpaste story is the most unsubtle plant I have seen since reading about the same WW2 tactics, and just before the trade talks!! . How about cadburys salmonella chocolate, or the hundreds of similar cases that occur every day around the world. They (respective governments) can even admit to pushing and planting stories and people still don't notice, it's funny and sad at the same time.

Even better the story can be true or false and because what is "popular news" is fairly random and etheral you can't argue against it without looking like a nutter. But this was so unsubtle, why not something on "Whats wrong with the Chinese wanting to eat your puppy?" arguing the ethical problem of choosing what animals it's ok to eat. You could read it and say well it's balanced, but still get that bad taste in your mouth. SO that would have been my choice because talking about imported goods is too direct.

"The administration also raised food safety issues following reports about poison-tainted toothpaste and pet food from China, the White House said"

yep, interesting times ahead. Just watch what's in your food...

China has been caught shipping poisonous toothpaste into the US recently, as well as other contaminated foodstuffs which is creating a public outcry in the US. However, the US also exports a lot of crops and processed food to china.

The US is screwed if they do introduce tariffs, screwed if they dont.

Not just toothpaste, last month they poised thousands of tonnes of pet food in the US through contaminated cereals . There was a massive pet food recall when I was there. Looked like they had already scre*wed the Pooch :blink:

Yes--and add to the workers who are losing their manufacturing jobs our own country. China is not a healthy situation for the global economy. The imbalances being created are setting the world up for Great Depression 2. IMO things will start to get ugly when the Chinese SM corrects again as the Shanghai Shakeout of a few months ago was just a warning. With millions of Chinese working themselves into a stock frenzy pushing up indexes 80% YtD watch out.

Time for a mass consumer boyucott: But Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese and Indian and leave the Chinese stuff on the shelves. Problem with this is that it seems like 76.47% of all manufactured goods we buy are made in the People's Republic! :o

Good point and an interesting mirror image of what preceed the 1930s Great Depression.

In the 1920s mass immigration coupled with the introduction of mass manufacturing techniques caused the productivity and output of the USA to soar as well as massivley lowering manufacturing costs. This put enormous pressure on employment in other parts of the industrialised world and eventually wages and prices as deflation set in during teh Great Depresison. Huge wealth was created in the 1920s along with huge bubble of debt and over investment. China is doing the same today and has a huge stockmarket bubble - which many predict will collapse. Indeed the FT today has a story saying domestic servants in China are not turning up to work they are staying at home and trading stock instead!

Sounds a lot like 1929 to me. Remember that economic disruption led directly to protectionism, trade wars and eventually ... World War II. It also led to the collapse of the British Empire and the rise of US hegemony. I suspect China will come out on top in the next 50 years - just depends whether it marches North to Siberia in search of resources or South into South East Asia, East into Japan or West to India. Either way the US is going to be very unhappy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Sorry guys!

Edited by Wad

Problem with this is that it seems like 76.47% of all manufactured goods we buy are made in the People's Republic! :o

They've started writing made in PRC on some goods.

Think it's to confuse people as people get put off seeing made in China

Edited by skhudy

Maxwell: Well, what hits the news is pretty random, i agree with that.

But, all in all (and assuming you are right and this is a plant) I think drawing attention to chinas non-existent regulation of food and medicines is a lot more virtuous than accusing the chinese of eating dogs. I personally dont think there is anything wrong with eating dogs, but would rather not eat them myself.

Not just toothpaste, last month they poised thousands of tonnes of pet food in the US through contaminated cereals . There was a massive pet food recall when I was there. Looked like they had already scre*wed the Pooch :blink:

Are you sure? www.tbrnews.org is always worth a look for another view of whats going on.....

"TBR News April 30, 2007

The Voice of the White House

Washington, D.C., April 30, 2007: “There are three items of interest this week. The first deals with the on-going official propaganda attack on Chinese food additives that are alleged to have caused massive American die-offs of cats and dogs, the second with a new and very disturbing weapon that almost anyone can use to attack important targets and the third is a really awful television clip that the DoD has been frantically been trying to silence on the Internet.

As we indicated earlier, the official government, and media, story is that melamine has contaminated Chinese food glutins, wheat, rice and corn. This is correct. However, melamine is not poisonous or we would see tens of thousands of human deaths from eating the same products. The actual poison was commercial rat poison and it was deliberately introduced into pet food in the United States, not China.

The reason for making China the villain is to knock the cheaper Chinese produces off the American market at the urgent requests of American agribusiness who cannot compete with cheaper Chinese products.

The second story deals with the probable future use of radio controlled aircraft, commonly available to the hobby world, as weapons of destruction.

A story from an international news site covers this at the end of this article but the facts are quite simply that in two days, from August 9 to August 11, 2003, a light unmanned radio controlled plane was flown from Canada to Ireland........."

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Sorry guys!

Better start reading your Bible then,because the scenario you're describing is spookily similar.

...oh and it's germany that rules the roost once all the brown stuff is well and truly splattered.

The new world order......the name of hitler's 2nd book.

making sense now????.

Annuit coeptis novo ordo seclorum...from the back of the US dollar bill.

means,in latin....announcing the conception of the new world order.

....conception isn't quite birth,it's just getting pregnant.

guess what,this baby is going into labour shortly,so expect a lot of screaming,blood and mess.

p.s this baby isn't really a nice one to have,it's more akin to the john hurt scene in alien.

Edited by oracle

but if the happy shoppers in UK/US can't buy cheap consumer goods (ipods, laptops, TVs, etc) made in PRC cos the government puts up a trade barrier then what will that do to their feeling of wellbeing and indeed inflation.

hangon, isn't our "basket of goods" filled with consumer electronics too.

crikey - I have *no* idea where this is going.

Interestingly, I was in an EU hotel recently and the US news/business stories were FULL of "china should devalue it's currency" while the EU/UK channels weren't. US is getting in a tiz but doing what it always does - demonize! reds in the bed, war on terror, etc, etc.

ah well, at least in 10 years time PRC will be the dominant economy rather than the hillbillies

US is getting in a tiz but doing what it always does - demonize! reds in the bed, war on terror, etc, etc.

ah well, at least in 10 years time PRC will be the dominant economy rather than the hillbillies

I disagree. I read a couple of forums (US based) that are entirely divorced from economics/political domain.

The amount that contributors are hacked off at the state of US manufacturing, the flooding of the US market with Chinese product, picking up nearly everything in a store and seeing it made somewhere else, their own employment situations etc etc is all leading to a rapid change of psyche and the way that they view their own country and indeed their confidence in it.

If anything there are only certain elements of the US political sphere that far from being proactive are being almost entirely reactive to the groundswell that is growing beneath them.

trade is a double edged sword.
Although for the West has rarely been until the last decade.
They've started writing made in PRC on some goods.

Think it's to confuse people as people get put off seeing made in China

Made in Taiwan is also occasionally now Made in Taiwan, ROC (Republic of China)... The political manouvering has made it all the way to the cutlery you're buying in IKEA!

<snip>

If anything there are only certain elements of the US political sphere that far from being proactive are being almost entirely reactive to the groundswell that is growing beneath them.

Interesting. This happened with Made in Japan for a while too, IIRC. i.e. pick it up, check where it's made, if it's from Japan put it down again, irrelevant of the price. But have people got even more consumerist since then?

I was impressed by the American accusation that the yuan should be revalued by up to 40% - I don't think I'll change my yuan to dollars this month if that's the way they want things to go!

And another important story reminds us of the dangers of cheap imports.

Killer banana rumour grips China

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6691171.stm

The banana fears come amid international concerns over tainted Chinese exports, including allegations of poisons in pet food and toothpaste.

If you haven't had your fill of hard hitting news, then

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/alerts/

Edited by maxwell