House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Price Drops Between 5-10k

Personally, if I were looking to buy in London, I would puposefully go out of my way not to do business with Foxtons. IMO, they are the epitome of everything an estate agent shouldn't be.

Personally, if I were looking to buy in London, I would puposefully go out of my way not to do business with Foxtons. IMO, they are the epitome of everything an estate agent shouldn't be.

iam using them as my bench mark they are the most expensive around.

iam using them as my bench mark they are the most expensive around.

Good thinking - please don't line their thieving pockets if you choose to buy though!!!!

Good thinking - please don't line their thieving pockets if you choose to buy though!!!!

nope not interested in buying, and if i were to buy from foxtons i would as less than the asking price, or find out who owns the property and dea ldirect.

some properties have dropped in price again.

many people go to an estate agent and they get their property valued. Let's say the agent tells them that the property is worth anywhere between 95k and 105k. For 95k it should sell pretty quick while for 105k it might take a little longer.

Some people decide to try at 105k and then after 4 weeks they might change their minds and lower it to 100k to sell it quick. They should have put it on the market at the market price in the first place...

During the boom years, the technique of putting the house on the market for a slightly higher value used to pay off, if you had not sold the property within four weeks, after four weeks it would probably be worth 5k more anyway and you would not have to lower the price in order to sell it.

Now that house prices are slowing down this technique is not ideal anymore.

Could this be the reason? I do not think prices are falling in general...

normal practise at foxton's is to overvalue just to get the property on their books, if it doesn't shift soon enough they manage the client's expectations downwards....the valuer chap in the putney office as good as told me this. so if i was following the market i wouldn't use foxtons as a barometer, fluctuations like £5-10k says more about them than the market tbh...

normal practise at foxton's is to overvalue just to get the property on their books, if it doesn't shift soon enough they manage the client's expectations downwards....the valuer chap in the putney office as good as told me this. so if i was following the market i wouldn't use foxtons as a barometer, fluctuations like £5-10k says more about them than the market tbh...

its about what people are willing to pay, if they dont it means either they can't or dont and in this situation they can't.

Edited by crash2006

No. You are a tw4t are you not for posting such a pointless comment./

I just love those posters that lack the intelligence to get a message across without resorting to insults they cannot spell. Chill out man, I don't have anything against Trolls.

nope not interested in buying, and if i were to buy from foxtons i would as less than the asking price, or find out who owns the property and dea ldirect.

are you aloud to knock on the owners door for more infomation with out contactin the estate agent, im not sure if this is brakin a law but theres a property for sale round the corner from me i would like to buy, its 115 000 but i cant afford it, estate agents isnt interested to lower it as im a first time buyer but if i speak directly to the old lady who owns the property there she would kindly maybe accept my offer as me and my partner are first time buyers and are findin it hard to get on the property ladder just like many other first time buyers are

are you aloud to knock on the owners door for more infomation with out contactin the estate agent, im not sure if this is brakin a law but theres a property for sale round the corner from me i would like to buy, its 115 000 but i cant afford it, estate agents isnt interested to lower it as im a first time buyer but if i speak directly to the old lady who owns the property there she would kindly maybe accept my offer as me and my partner are first time buyers and are findin it hard to get on the property ladder just like many other first time buyers are

No, I don't think it breaks any laws but if the vendor has a contract with the agent, she should check the wording. I think either way you would get away with it if you said you knew the property was coming on the market because she told you over tea once. The agent would then have to prove you wrong.

What does being a first time buyer have to do with it? At least you aren't part of a chain. You can offer what you like - the estate agent should pass this on to the old lady who can accept or decline.

Guest d23
What does being a first time buyer have to do with it? At least you aren't part of a chain. You can offer what you like - the estate agent should pass this on to the old lady who can accept or decline.

the agent is legally obliged to pass on any offers other than those specified by the seller i.e. offers under a certain price, offers from people who are yet to recieve an offer on their own property etc etc