House Price Crash Forum
se7ensport

Ea Wouldn't Let His Kids Buy At The Moment?!?

Mother-in-law has just put house on the market today (Bristol), a couple of brilliant quotes from the estate agent which made me smile:

"you arn't alone in selling up to go in to rented, lots are selling and not many are buying, it's sensible to rent"

"if my daughter or son were thinking of buying a house I wouldn’t let them, not at the moment, I think house prices wont go up any more this year and that a change is coming".

Mother-in-law has just put house on the market today (Bristol), a couple of brilliant quotes from the estate agent which made me smile:

"you arn't alone in selling up to go in to rented, lots are selling and not many are buying, it's sensible to rent"

"if my daughter or son were thinking of buying a house I wouldn’t let them, not at the moment, I think house prices wont go up any more this year and that a change is coming".

NEWSFLASH!

What a perceptive guy he is.

People need to know about this - why don't we start a website about it?!

"if my daughter or son were thinking of buying a house I wouldn’t let them"...

The agent is not just perceptive, he has a plan.

He knows that the balance of power has shifted from seller to buyer. Therefore he has decided that rather than attempt to maximise price to maximise his commission, he must attempt to minimise the price in order to undercut the competition and actually get any commission at all.

He is already starting to re-educate his client so that she will accept a lower price so as to avoid the coming crash. He will have to tighten his belt, but his business will grow as people notice all the "sold" boards belong to this office.

The agents who are still talking up the market will be selling burgers next year.

HPC'er in disguise? I am sure If I was a seller I would instruct that sort of professional EA to sell my home :P

I am sure If I was a seller I would instruct that sort of professional EA to sell my home :P

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Edited by Timm

As usual, when the tide turns and the money dries up, all the tossers who caused HPI jump ship.

Aren't EA's pathetic characters. F**king bloodsucking parasites that will do or say anything to survive.

And being an Estate Agent I suspect that what he said to the next person to walk in to his office went something like:

"you arn't alone in buying to leave rented accomodation, lots are buying and not many are selling, it's sensible to buy"

"if my daughter or son were thinking of renting a house I wouldn't let them, not at the moment, I think house prices will only go up more this year and that a change isn't coming".

He's an Estate Agent!!! :lol:

Guest grumpy-old-man

He knows that the balance of power has shifted from seller to buyer. Therefore he has decided that rather than attempt to maximise price to maximise his commission, he must attempt to minimise the price in order to undercut the competition and actually get any commission at all.

He is already starting to re-educate his client so that she will accept a lower price so as to avoid the coming crash. He will have to tighten his belt, but his business will grow as people notice all the "sold" boards belong to this office.

The agents who are still talking up the market will be selling burgers next year.

that is a good reply & I agree.

And being an Estate Agent I suspect that what he said to the next person to walk in to his office went something like:

"you arn't alone in buying to leave rented accomodation, lots are buying and not many are selling, it's sensible to buy"

"if my daughter or son were thinking of renting a house I wouldn't let them, not at the moment, I think house prices will only go up more this year and that a change isn't coming".

He's an Estate Agent!!! :lol:

While I agree with your point that EA's are double faced, there is quite a contrast between a 60+ retiree looking to rent and pass the responsibilities of maintainance on to someone else, and that of advising his children not to buy as he thinks the market is changing.

Edited by se7ensport

Guest d23

stop the presses: "EA in telling client what they want to hear shock"

to seller: I wouldn't let me my kids buy at the moment, don't back out of your decision to STR.

to buyer: would make a great starter home for your kid; I recommend you lend them the deposit like I'm going to / have done so they don't get priced out. Don't back out of your decision to buy.

As usual, when the tide turns and the money dries up, all the tossers who caused HPI jump ship.

Aren't EA's pathetic characters. F**king bloodsucking parasites that will do or say anything to survive.

Over the last decade or so the power has been with the sellers. They have called the shots.

In the ten years I spent in Agency, not once did a seller choose to sell at anything other than the highest price on the table.

Once the buyers are in control, only the most attractively priced properties will sell.

That is what happens in a market.

Over the last decade or so the power has been with the sellers. They have called the shots.

In the ten years I spent in Agency, not once did a seller choose to sell at anything other than the highest price on the table.

Once the buyers are in control, only the most attractively priced properties will sell.

That is what happens in a market.

How would it be if EA's were paid a flat fee for each property sold.

Not quite the same incentive to manipulate both buyer and seller into gaining maximum amount for oneself then.

stop the presses: "EA in telling client what they want to hear shock"

I don't agree with that completley, She did say she was also thinking of buying smaller or renting and he encouraged her to rent over buy! She doesn’t think a crash is coming and thinks everyone should get on the property ladder so he wasn’t feeding her up in any way.

she’s doesn't have a mortgage and he didn’t suggest investing it back into property like others have.

I genuinely thought it was refreshing to hear, I also appreciate it's only one anecdote.

How would it be if EA's were paid a flat fee for each property sold.

Not quite the same incentive to manipulate both buyer and seller into gaining maximum amount for oneself then.

A sensible suggestion. Many of the less aggressive agents would be in favour. They would also like to see compulsory licencing, to get rid of the real cowboys.

Unfortunately, sellers like knowing the agent will try to wring every penny from the sale.

And for some reason, Government have never seemed very keen on licencing. In spite of the NAEA practically begging for it. :rolleyes:

A sensible suggestion. Many of the less aggressive agents would be in favour. They would also like to see compulsory licencing, to get rid of the real cowboys.

Unfortunately, sellers like knowing the agent will try to wring every penny from the sale.

And for some reason, Government have never seemed very keen on licencing. In spite of the NAEA practically begging for it. :rolleyes:

I think many sellers forget that if they get top dollar for there property, they will have to buy at top dollar in return.

Makes no sense getting the maximum yourself and then having to pay the maximum to someone else.

The EA's make the maximum on both tranactions, the individual gets robbed, as usual.

Guest d23
I don't agree with that completley, She did say she was also thinking of buying smaller or renting and he encouraged her to rent over buy! She doesn’t think a crash is coming and thinks everyone should get on the property ladder so he wasn’t feeding her up in any way.

she’s doesn't have a mortgage and he didn’t suggest investing it back into property like others have.

I genuinely thought it was refreshing to hear, I also appreciate it's only one anecdote.

if she doesn't think theres a crash coming and is a believer in 'the ladder' then why is she STR'ing?

you have indeed found a prince among EA's if they were encouraging a cash buyer to rent.

if she doesn't think theres a crash coming and is a believer in 'the ladder' then why is she STR'ing?

Did you miss the bit about being 60+ retiree?

House maintenance is the big issue as she is single, either buy a new build flat or rent are her options. While she believes "in the ladder", she also realises that she can't do anything with the money tied up in her home and wants to enjoy her retirement.

The point I was trying to get across, was that while I think most EA's are shisters, one of his own accord stated that he thought the market had basically peaked.

No, they are just manifestations of the greed and desperation of any house seller.

If you want to know who the tossers who caused HPI are - just take a good look around you. Show me anyone who doesn't say to the agent 'I'd like to try it a bit higher than that.'

No, they are just manifestations of the greed and desperation of any house seller.

If you want to know who the tossers who caused HPI are - just take a good look around you. Show me anyone who doesn't say to the agent 'I'd like to try it a bit higher than that.'

Bet you never hear an EA complaining either. Of course the seller will want a million for that sh*ity one bet flat.

What ever happened to the voice of reason though.

"Yes sir, that studio flat in the run down block is worth much more than £300,000. We can get it for you as well"

the EA says to the seller

The seller says " Great, never knew it was worth that much."

EA says "Stick with me son, I'll make you (until you have to buy again) and me very rich."

Pathetic!!!

I couldn't agree more. I've been thinking for a while now that when sentiment truly begins to turn bearish the EAs may ironically turn out to be a driving force for the crash.

Like most people here I cannot stand EA's (a mix of bad experience and a natural aversion to flash wide-boy wkners) but I reckon that at the end of the day these guys are just self interested realists. They've know in recent years it's been realistic to ramp prices up and increase their commissions 'cause they could play on people's fear and greed, but during a slump they're going to be desperately trying to convince people to accept lower prices in order for to keep things turning over and just stay in business at all.

It's gonna be the property market equivalent of sticking the defectors on the front line!

Has it ever crossed your mind this is some old flannel to make conversation with the punter that is paying thousands for a few photos and a shiny bit of A4 saying "Wonderful x bedroom house in a great area!". Dont believe all you hear, certainly not from an EA.

EA's like house builders have vested interest in talking the market up when things are looking good in order to maximise there own profit. Whilst talking the market down when things look bad again to maximise revenue and keep the bailiffs/creditors/shareholders away.

In rising market builders will talk of a new build commanding a premium over similar non new build yet in falling market it will switch to new builds being marketed on basis of being discounted against over similar non new build.

I'd like to be a first time buyer, but hell, buy now at high prices when I think there is a fall coming. Wouldn't want to be paying off a big mortgage when prices crash.

However, how can you blame Estate Agents and BTLer's ?

That's like going down to Macdonalds and blaming the people behind the counter for making you fat.

Greed is a human characteristic, and in hindsight would have liked to have bought in 1998.

Banks and the Chancellor of the exchequer (1997, I won't let house prices get away from young buyers(not accurately quoted,too many beers)).