House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Pc Anywhere

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I used this programme all the time in the 90s on dialup and Win 98.

A mate of mine has for the first time bought a computer with Windows Vista and keeps phoning me for advice.

I use Windows 2000 Pro and am not familiar with Vista.

I have downloaded PC Anywhere 12.0 on 1 months free trial and notice they have a quick connect by calling th IP of the remote computer which itself is using a broadband connection, and it appears the remote computer does not have to have PC Anywhere installed.

Save reading the manual what is required by both parties mainly the remote computer for successful connections and remote operation.

ie: Does he have to set anything up his end.

Cheers

pcanywhere needs to be installed by both parties

during setup your asked if your a receiver or a sender... :o

Why do you need PC Anyhere.

Right Click My Computer/Properties/Remote Tab on the host Computer and click the boxes to allow remote connections. Also adjust the setting in Windows Firewall.

From the machine you wish to connect from Click Start then Run, type MSTSC, then put in the IP of the front end of his Router.

to be able to contact the remote pc you need to get to be able to connect a port on there pc. Firewalls and routers block or hide ports benhind a private ip (usually a 192.168.x.x) address. If your friend has a firewall you will need to open up the relavant ports, if your friend has a router you will need to setup port forwarding from the external internet facing public ip on the router to the private ip of the pc on the LAN.

Windows XP has a feature called remote assistance built, which you could use to assist your friend, you will still need to open firewalls/setup port forwarding

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s/wxprmass.html

I believe log me is simplier to setup as it doesnt require port forwarding to be setup. This is because your friends pc wont run as a server, however there is a cost.

Right Click My Computer/Properties/Remote Tab on the host Computer and click the boxes to allow remote connections. Also adjust the setting in Windows Firewall.

From the machine you wish to connect from Click Start then Run, type MSTSC, then put in the IP of the front end of his Router.

remote desktop isn't the same - you open new clean session per connection - whereas pcanywhere is 'as is' view of the desktop

pcanywhere is more flexible imo

I prefer VNC myself. Can control both PC and Linux/Unix systems from the differing OS's if needed.

+ its free.

I prefer VNC myself. Can control both PC and Linux/Unix systems from the differing OS's if needed.

+ its free.

Check out LightVNC also RemoteAdmin is worth a look and i think it can use port 80

Follow the above on his computer but do not use Remote Desktop. Instead, click Start on your computer, go to Help and Support, at the top in the search box, enter "offer remote assistance", click on the link, then enter the IP address of the remote host, and click connect.

Presuming you can connect and there are no firewall issues, you can then select user to shadow. He must then grant you access to view, and then give you permission to control his session.

This way does not require any additional software.

Presuming you can connect and there are no firewall issues, you can then select user to shadow. He must then grant you access to view, and then give you permission to control his session.

This way does not require any additional software.

What about if you want remote access to a desktop that has no end-user to authenticate the connection?

What about if you want remote access to a desktop that has no end-user to authenticate the connection?

Then RD (just kick the remote user off if they are not there, or unlock the machine if you know the username and password of the logged on user). That doesn't sound like the scenario decribed though.