House Price Crash Forum
munimula

Watch Out Sandbanks!

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/display.v...t_sandbanks.php

WHO would have thought it? Just a few years ago Boscombe was considered by some to be a struggling area with an image problem.

But now, as property prices continue to rocket throughout the area, Boscombe is reaping the benefits.

So much so, a penthouse flat is for sale for a cool £1 million.

He added two buyers from London had already looked at The Point penthouse and others from the capital had snapped up two-bedroom flats in the same block for around the £350,000 mark

Londoners....don't you just luv um

Boscombe.... what a dump. The highest drug rate in Europe just a few years ago.

It still is.

Was talking to somone who has known the area for 15 years.

The reason it is so bad is that in the 90's recession the hotels were going out of business so apparently they sent buses upto the big cities like Manchester, Birmingham and bused back loads of DSS tenants to fill the hotels. That's why it's so bad today. Prior to the 90's recession it was a very popular tourist area and apparently very nice.

It still is.

Was talking to somone who has known the area for 15 years.

The reason it is so bad is that in the 90's recession the hotels were going out of business so apparently they sent buses upto the big cities like Manchester, Birmingham and bused back loads of DSS tenants to fill the hotels. That's why it's so bad today. Prior to the 90's recession it was a very popular tourist area and apparently very nice.

Yep. Lived in Bournemouth from 1986-2002 so know it very well.

That's exactly what happened, brain child of David Wells, I think that was his name. A large number of homeless people with strong regional accents in the centre. TBH... if I was on the dole, bournemouth would be a bit more comfortable than Liverpool.

Yep. Lived in Bournemouth from 1986-2002 so know it very well.

That's exactly what happened, brain child of David Wells, I think that was his name. A large number of homeless people with strong regional accents in the centre. TBH... if I was on the dole, bournemouth would be a bit more comfortable than Liverpool.

I wonder if the BTLers will be doing the same thing to fill their flats in a few years time :lol:

There must be two Boscombe's. The one I know, with the main road going right through (apart from that kink in the middle round the back of the carpark) looks pretty ordinary. Perhaps I've missed something?

p

There must be two Boscombe's. The one I know, with the main road going right through (apart from that kink in the middle round the back of the carpark) looks pretty ordinary. Perhaps I've missed something?

p

Go there at 8pm on GCSE results day.

He added two buyers from London had already looked at The Point penthouse and others from the capital had snapped up two-bedroom flats in the same block for around the £350,000 mark

"Snapped up?"

:lol:

Boy, are they going to suffer from bankruptcy indigestion, always happens when you eat more than you can handle! :P

Yeah good ole Boscombe. It's been struggling to come up for years. All set for it to fall pretty sharpish when the HPC comes though! Visit it on a Saturday and it's like going shopping in South London, although not quite as busy. London's suburbs are far more densely populated but in Boscombe you are more likely to notice the weird folk!

p

I'm confused too, used to spend alot of time down there in the early 90's, seemed fine to me.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I'm confused too, used to spend alot of time down there in the early 90's, seemed fine to me.

Did you have your head up a tart's skirt at the time? That's all that goes on in Boscombe.

I think you guys are overlooking the re-development going on at the pier.

The whole pier is being re-furbished.

Operahouse is ripped apart and put back together again.

All the beach huts are being overhauled.

Gardens are being replanted.

A mini-village is being built with luxury apartments and shops near the pier, courtesy of Barratts.

A artificial reef is being built to attract surfers which like big waves.

Ideal investment - bigger the the 2012 Olympics - and this ones permenant!

Dont forget there is a large Jewish population who buy the big detached clifftop houses with cash here.

I may be wrong.

Edited by notanewmember

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/search/di...w_sandbanks.php

WITH millions of pounds in public and private investment pouring into Boscombe over the past few years the area is undoubtedly on the up.

The £8 million Boscombe Spar Village project is transforming the seafront with a redeveloped pier and £1.4 million artificial surf reef, Boscombe Chine Gardens are being refurbished and the historic theatre the Opera House is undergoing a £2 million renovation.

Honeycombe.524559.full.jpg

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/search/di...w_sandbanks.php

WITH millions of pounds in public and private investment pouring into Boscombe over the past few years the area is undoubtedly on the up.

The £8 million Boscombe Spar Village project is transforming the seafront with a redeveloped pier and £1.4 million artificial surf reef, Boscombe Chine Gardens are being refurbished and the historic theatre the Opera House is undergoing a £2 million renovation.

Honeycombe.524559.full.jpg

I don't see surfers bringing much inward money into the area. I don't want to stereotype but they are usually beach bums and don't have a lot of disposable cash.

Looking at the picture it looks quite nice to me. Could it be the next Brighton? It would have to get rid of all the supposed crime others have mentioned (or maybe that's what makes brighton brighton)

I don't see surfers bringing much inward money into the area. I don't want to stereotype but they are usually beach bums and don't have a lot of disposable cash.

Looking at the picture it looks quite nice to me. Could it be the next Brighton? It would have to get rid of all the supposed crime others have mentioned (or maybe that's what makes brighton brighton)

It might look quite nice but it's being built by Barratts so the quality will be appaling

If it bottoms. <_<

I must admit I never considered Boscombe for two reasons. One, as you note above, and two, I see it as an annexe to Bournemouth and I don't like the feel of Bournemouth . Having said that, I can see your point. The location is spot on, prices are relatively low, and it's a prime target situated as it is between Bournemouth and Christchurch (which I also dislike but for other reasons).

Bournemouth and Christchurch panda to different types of people but if we look across to the likes of Poole we find a town that seems to panda to both but not to extremes. West Bay also, up the coast a bit, used to be very run down but in the last few years has had a huge facelift which will do no harm to property prices.

So yes, imo Boscombe has potential, huge potential, to make a killing if that's what you're out for, but at the end of the day you might shoot yourself in the foot buy buying something with lovely sea views only to find a yuppy complex of flats go up in front of you. :o

Tipped as prime target just 6 months ago. :P

Is the Opera House no longer a night club?

yes, but it's just undergone massive refurb

I can confirm that Boscombe is the pits. I know as I visit it everyday of the week as my college is there

yes, but it's just undergone massive refurb

I can confirm that Boscombe is the pits. I know as I visit it everyday of the week as my college is there

:lol:

I had visions of well dressed upper class people queueing from Mothercare to MacDonalds to watch Carmen.

I had a bike stolen from Boscombe.

Theres good business oportunities there for savy person. I hear the bloke who opened up a secondhand/pawn brokers shop on the high street is a multi-millionaire now.

Conversely the Travel agents have gone kaput. Otherwise there is a wealth of 99p shops, [undercutting the £1 shop] Savers, and Lidyls that will support the £145K flats that are on offer. eek.

Edited by notanewmember